Question re: Princess seating on Denali train

andio2of5

We will be going on the Princess Alaska landtour (4S) , the tour starts with a night in Anchorage then traveling by train from Anchorage to Talkeetna, overnight at McKinley, train from Talkeetna to Denali, 2 days in Denali then Denali Express to Whittier for embarkation south to Vancouver. I understand that the seating on the Princess train car is a table like setting for 4 where 2 people face each other. We will be traveling with another couple. Are these train seats assigned by Princess and if so, how would we guarantee sitting with our friends?

Also, are the meals on the train included in the landtour price?

Thanks for your help,

Andi

We will be going on the Princess Alaska landtour (4S) , the tour starts with a night in Anchorage then traveling by train from Anchorage to Talkeetna, overnight at McKinley, train from Talkeetna to Denali, 2 days in Denali then Denali Express to Whittier for embarkation south to Vancouver. I understand that the seating on the Princess train car is a table like setting for 4 where 2 people face each other. We will be traveling with another couple. Are these train seats assigned by Princess and if so, how would we guarantee sitting with our friends?

Also, are the meals on the train included in the landtour price?

Thanks for your help,

Andi

We did not have assigned seating, so you should be fine to sit with your firends. Just grab a table and the four of you should have a nice ride.

No, the food on the train is not included in the land tour that we have ever seen. Check your tour schedule, it should tell you exactly what meals (if any) are included in the land tour portion. There weren't any on ours, it was not included.

You will not have any 'paid for' meals until you board your ship.

As for the train....a very long, slow and less-than-comfortable trip. Take cards, ipods or good books. The scenery is great...but a lot of it is looking at the trees along the right-of-way for miles and miles.

Our best scenery was along Turnagain Arm (south of Anchorage) where we could watch the Beluga whales as they fed on fresh salmon.

We did not have assigned seating, so you should be fine to sit with your firends. Just grab a table and the four of you should have a nice ride.

No, the food on the train is not included in the land tour that we have ever seen. Check your tour schedule, it should tell you exactly what meals (if any) are included in the land tour portion. There weren't any on ours, it was not included.

Princess must have changed this last year, in 2006 and 2001 we had assigned seating on the train on our land tours.

Princess must have changed this last year, in 2006 and 2001 we had assigned seating on the train on our land tours.
In May 2006 we were assigned a table, but not a seat. I remember this because 2 people near us both took a window seat and when the other 2 people came they thought it was unfair.

Hi Andi, old friend. Also for more information go to the Ports of Call board and scroll to Alaska. There are some very knowledgable people that are on that site. I think there was some posts about that very subject on there.

Marilyn

In May 2006 we were assigned a table, but not a seat. I remember this because 2 people near us both took a window seat and when the other 2 people came they thought it was unfair.

Maybe that is what I am remembering. Assigned table, but not assigned seats????

Hi there, Andi. :) When we took the pre-cruise land tour, we were assigned a table but that was several years ago. There is very little room for your "stuff" and it all has to fit under the bench seat so plan accordingly. We were four traveling together and we were all assigned to the same table.

As for two people taking the two window seats, I think that would be very rude. If they wanted to go to the bathroom, to shop or lunch, I'm not sure I'd be very nice about getting up to let them out and once they did, I'd move their stuff and say, "Thank you for moving to let us have our turn at the window since you obviously planned it that way."

We did this trip last August. The table was assigned for our seats . We had one bench seat and another couple had the other side of the table. There was room under the seat for our backpacks and folded up jackets. The food on the land portion and the train was our cost.There will be a waiter/guide person in your car and a bartender. Food was ok with a downstairs dining car for breakfest (alacarte your cost). Nice trip , take cards/ipod etc. AND ENJOY !

Hi there, Andi. :) When we took the pre-cruise land tour, we were assigned a table but that was several years ago. There is very little room for your "stuff" and it all has to fit under the bench seat so plan accordingly. We were four traveling together and we were all assigned to the same table.

"

Hey, Pam....long time, no see :) . When the four of you were traveling together, were your bookings somehow "linked"? Our friends are using the same TA but we booked separately, so how would Princess know to put us together?

Andi

Hi Andi, old friend. Also for more information go to the Ports of Call board and scroll to Alaska. There are some very knowledgable people that are on that site. I think there was some posts about that very subject on there.

Marilyn

Hey Marilyn...thanks for the reply...I did try searching that board but the search feature is the pits right now and what I could find didn't exactly answer my question. Will try again later.

Andi

We travelled with another couple but we booked separately. I called Princess directly and asked for our reservations to be linked together. I had booked through Princess; the other couple had not. We both had mini suites....on the same deck but at opposite ends. When we got on the train we had four seats together. In each lodge our rooms were beside each other. It made the trip very comfortable. If I were you I would try calling Princess directly.

Hey, Pam....long time, no see :) . When the four of you were traveling together, were your bookings somehow "linked"? Our friends are using the same TA but we booked separately, so how would Princess know to put us together?
We were on the Coral Princess in 2003. Yes, our bookings were linked together. Just have your TA do this; it's quick and easy for them to do. If someone is not using the same TA, just ask your friends for their Booking #, give them yours, and ask your respective TAs to link you together.

I was suprised to find this in the Princess FAQ's.

How is seating arranged in the dome area of the train?

You and your traveling companions will be assigned to tables, as indicated on your boarding pass. Your boarding pass will be assigned at the embarking rail station. Tables generally hold four adults, two facing in each direction. It is customary to change places throughout the trip to allow for a different perspective.

http://www.princesslodges.com/alaska_rail_tours_faq.htm

We were on the Express this past Sept. It is a long ride but we passed the time visiting with other passengers, etc. The views are spectacular. The weather cooperated quite nicely and we were able to get beautiful shots of Mt. McKinley. They say that doesn't happen all the time. Yes, the tables were assigned. We switched seats frequently and that way everyone got a chance to have the window.

Enjoy the trip.

when we did the cruisetour in 2003 or 2004 - brain freeze - we were travelling with 2 other couples and had our booking #'s linked. We had rooms assignments next to each other and our train tables, since we were 6, were one table for 4 and the other 2 at a different table. Since I had done most of the arrangements, dh & I sat at the "odd" table, interestingly enough, with another couple travelling in a group of 6 and they had made most of their arrangements.

They were extremely gracious - they had gotten to the seats first - and we switched seats off.

Archived