Looking for Info on Cape Liberty

cascargirl

ontheweb - look at Meg's web site - Click here for my Cape Liberty Info blog:http://mojitomegcapeliberty.blogspot.com/

You can get near the port by public transportation, but at some point you will have to take a cab onto the pier. 15 minutes to Bayonne is not realistic unless you start at the Holland Tunnel in a car.

If you are coming in by bus, then look at the bus schedule to Bayonne. You would go to 30 something street in Bayonne and call a cab.

You could also take the 8th Avenue subway to the World Trade Center. From there you would take Path. At Exchange Place (one stop) you can change to the Hudson Bergen Light Rail and go to 30 something street in Bayonne and call a cab. You can also go to Journal Square in Jersey City and call a cab. These routes would probably involve toting your luggage up or down stairs at some point. WTC will be a luggage friendly station. However, I'm sure some stairs would be required to get into the 8th avenue subway and to change to the light rail.

I've heard that RC might have a shuttle service from the light rail to the port, but I've not seen anyone post a confirmation of that.

If the Bayonne bus schedule works, then that could be a viable alternative to get you close to the port for less dollars. Perhaps kornerkick2 can comment on cabs in Bayonne and if you can prearrange something.

From a dollar standpoint the problem is that as soon as you go from NY to NJ in a cab, all bets are off. It is not a regulated fare, so they will charge top $$$.

138 East, that is wonderful information, thank you. I think we are going to end up taking a ship out of NY harbor instead, but I am still saving your information as it might come in handy someday if we do sail out of Cape Liberty.

ontheweb - look at Meg's web site - Click here for my Cape Liberty Info blog:http://mojitomegcapeliberty.blogspot.com/

You can get near the port by public transportation, but at some point you will have to take a cab onto the pier. 15 minutes to Bayonne is not realistic unless you start at the Holland Tunnel in a car.

I've heard that RC might have a shuttle service from the light rail to the port, but I've not seen anyone post a confirmation of that.

If the Bayonne bus schedule works, then that could be a viable alternative to get you close to the port for less dollars. Perhaps kornerkick2 can comment on cabs in Bayonne and if you can prearrange something.

hey 138...thanks for the referral!!!

financialgirl...glad i was of some help.....i don't feel unsafe up there...now in my state capital (trenton)..:eek:

as for 15 minutes bayonne to midtown....maybe if your name is Trump and you have a helicopter!:confused: one thing we always have in jersey is TRAFFIC. rush hour or not...kinda like DC...there is ALWAYS traffic on the beltway!

• 2 weeks later...

There is so much info on this thread... I appreciate the time you have taken... I have a couple of specific questions. We are sailing Oct 17 2008 and will be arriving a day early... planning on just staying at the hotel and maybe the mall... I'm looking at Residence Inn Elizabeth/Liberty... I'm traveling with my mother who may have some trouble walking... Is there a shuttle from Residence Inn to the Mall? Also, what would be the best way to the port -- Taxi??? Is there a shuttle from the airport to the hotel??

On the way home we are leaving a day after the ship lands... hoping to go to Ellis Island for the day we depart from the ship... Should we rent a car or leave our bags at the hotel... and check in upon return from our day trip. Would it be good for us to stay at Reisdence Inn again??? What would be the best way to get from the port to Reisdence Inn and then to the Ferry?

Thanks for all your help!

Linda

There is an Enterprise rent-a-car very near the pier, and we may look into renting one for the day. But if you drop it off at the airport, there is a $100 drop off fee. If you can return it and the hotel has a shuttle to the airport, maybe that will work for you.

MrsBBuffalo - Great info about the drop off charge for Enterprise!

LindaO - you have two choices to see Ellis Island. First, depending on what airline you are flying, you may be able to valet check your bags on the ship (I'm not sure what the service is called or if it is available). Then you could take a cab to Liberty State Park, go to Ellis Island and back, and then take a cab to the airport. You could prearrange a cab pickup from a Bayonne or Jersey City cab company at Liberty State Park based on the ferry schedule.

Your other choice is to take a cab to Newark airport and rent a car. The drive back to Liberty State Park is very quick - about 20 minutes. Your luggage should be safe in the car while you go to Ellis Island.

Again... THanks so much for the great info... I'm looking into both options... that you both posted... And checking out he mileage trying to figure out the taxi costs -- Renting a car may be our best bet. Thanks again!

I'm looking at Residence Inn Elizabeth/Liberty... I'm traveling with my mother who may have some trouble walking... Is there a shuttle from Residence Inn to the Mall? Also, what would be the best way to the port -- Taxi??? Is there a shuttle from the airport to the hotel??

The hotels by the mall actually share a parking lot so maybe you could just get the hotel airport shuttle to drop you off and come back later to get you. Its worth a shot. I dont remember any of the hotels offering a shuttle back and forth from the mall when I was looking at the area.

Hi everyone,

We leave via car tomorrow (Wednesday) for NYC and sailing on the Explorer this Saturday for a 5-day to Bermuda.

Anyone have any suggestions/warnings/etc. on our plan? We are totally unfamiliar with the area so this is from web research only:

Arrive mid-afternoon at Newark/Penn Station. Park car and take train into NYC with destination being a reserved hotel in Times Square. Not sure how to navigate this (ie: which PATH to take, etc.) into Times Square and back out again. We'll be there until Saturday when we'll head back to the car and drive to cruise port, from my estimations about a 15-20min drive.

Any thoughts? Car safe at Newark/Penn Station?

Thanks in advance!

Nick in Ohio

Have you checked on the availability of overnight parking near Newark Station and its cost? Is it a secured parking facility or an outdoor lot? Are you planning to leave your suitcases in your car or take everything with you?

Quite frankly, parking at Newark Station would not be my first plan. Did you look at Journal Square or even NY itself?

The suitcases are key. If you are not leaving them in the car, then you can park anywhere as long as you are willing to hump them. At Newark station you can get a Path train to Journal Square and then Path to 33rd Street in NY and a cab to your hotel.

If you are leaving your suitcases in the car (locked in the trunk?) and traveling light, I might consider the long term parking at Newark Airport where your car will be more anonymous. It may take you a little longer to get to NY, but it would be worth it. Also, I would check out overnight parking at Journal Square.

Your time is short and hopefully some others will be able to comment.

Some more thoughts. You are arriving Thursday and need 2 nights parking. Consider splurging by parking in NY. That way you can drive right up to the hotel door and off load all your luggage. Your hotel probably has some sort of parking arrangement near by. Also, you will not be far from the public parking at Port Authority, which is right there when you come out of the Lincoln Tunnel. If you don't want to drive at all in NY, park at Port Authority first thing and take your stuff to the hotel. Your luggage will probably be safer in your car at Port Authority than in Newark.

Parking in NY will start to empty out in the afternoon as people start going home, so you should not have a problem finding space.

We are packing light for this vacation and will not leave valuables in the car wherever we park.

I'm not at all familiar with NYC so driving into NYC is really not my preference.

Journal Square was mentioned...I'm not at all familiar with that. Any details or web link?

Right now, the tentative plan is to take the PATH into WTC and then the E-Train into Port Authority. Our hotel is only 2 blocks from there.

I was hoping that some others might chime in here. Most folks get glassy eyed when you mention Path trains and rolling luggage through subway stations. I hope I don't get too badly slammed for what I am about to say.

http://www.panynj.gov/CommutingTravel/path/html/jstc_parking.html

Journal square is in Jersey City. It is near exit 14B or 14A on the NJ turnpike extension. It is halfway between Newark and NY.

I'm not a big fan of the Newark station area. It was uncomfortable many years ago and I haven't heard much to make me think it has improved. If you have a specific parking lot destination and you are really good with maps, then go for it. However, Newark is not a city that you ever want to get lost in.

I feel comfortable in saying that Journal Square will be better. I haven't been there recently, but I have been to the Grove Street station area where I lived for 5 years many years ago and was favorably impressed. Path trains go from Journal Square to 33rd Street or to WTC, so you have a choice. You will also have quick access back onto the turnpike to go to exit 14A for the port.

Just a note about the subway from WTC. This is a really big station. The local train terminates at WTC and will be the first train you encounter. Take it! This is the 8th Avenue local. Don't walk through to the express (it's 4 blocks more underground on the map). You will end up at the same place and it will probably be quicker.

Thanks for the advice. I tried calling them to get the rates but no one answered nor does their corporate site give any rates. But I value your advice regarding safety and I see no reason why we can't park here and travel in to the WTC-Times Square. Thanks a bunch!

Nick

Have a good trip! Let us know how it went. So few people use the public transportation and throw big bucks at car services from NY to Bayonne. I know that a cab from Journal Square to the dock would be reasonable and it's not very far. I also know that the transfer from the Path to the subway should have escalators. My guess is that Journal Square will have escalators and elevators, so that leaves only the other end of the subway where you may have to take your luggage up some steps!

138East, you have given us the perfect solution for the day we arrive back in Port Bayonne! We have a late flight and were considering renting a car at the pier with paying extra $$ for airport drop off. Tom had said just last night he could drop us off, then return the car to the pier and take a cab.

But your suggestion of taking a cab or shuttle TO the airport as soon as he gets OFF the ship, renting the car AT the airport and returning for us makes perfect sense! Then we have plenty of time to get to the Liberty Park Ferry for a trip to Ellis Island. And we can return to the airport on our schedule.

Sometimes it just takes one more head . . . .

Three heads are better than two!!! :D

Thanks again!

Beth,

So glad you found a solution. Have you considered self disembarkation to get a head start on the day? You may also want to book a cab to pick you up at the pier and take you to the car rental at the airport. Don't do the RCI shuttle - you will go on their schedule and it will not be early. Also, they won't drop you at the car rental directly.

I'm not familiar with the taxi process because we drove and parked at Cape Liberty. However, I am originally from the area and drive it frequently. The airport to Liberty Park should be a really easy trip. What day of the week are you doing this?

We arrive Oct. 30, a Thursday.

I was referring to a van shuttle that someone posted were available at the port for about $14 pp to the airport. They saw more of those than taxis, but a taxi is fine too. Maybe someone else will be going and will not mind if Tom shares the fare, esp. with no luggage.

Ah - I'm with you now - I missed a connection there somewhere. Be sure Tom signs up for the self disembarkation so he can get off the ship first thing and get a head start on collecting the car. A van shuttle to Newark for $14 sounds like a really good deal. He may be back before you are even off the ship!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the advice a little over a week ago about parking in Journal Square while we vacationed in Times Square for 3 days before picking up the Explorer for our 5-day to Bermuda.

It all worked out PERFECTLY! We arrived Wednesday afternoon in Jersey City, NJ at the Journal Square transportation hub. We parked in the garage, took the nearby elevator one deck down and picked up the PATH to 33rd St. in Manhattan. $13 per day in Journal Square. Our hotel was the Hotel St. James on 45th St. in between 6th and 7th Avenues so we could either take the NY subway 10 blocks or walk it. When we got back to our car on Saturday, our car was just as we left it except for the empty parking deck! It was a 15min easy drive to the ship. $18 per day and prepaid parking at the pier next to the ship. All very easy and painless. Upon our return this morning, it was a short 5min walk to our car and we hit the road by 8:30am for Ohio.

Thanks again!

Nick & Marjie in Ohio

We'll be on the Explorer next month. Does anyone know if the ship will offer something of a city tour with a drop off at EWR for those of us who have a later in the day flight? Nothing listed on RCL so far. If not, are there any private tour companies near the port that would offer something similar?

Balee1 - I'm so glad it worked out well for you! It's wonderful to get this feedback - so many people ask about parking alternatives for NY. It's hard to persuade people to seriously consider public transportation, but you really have to do that in NY. $13 sound so reasonable to park within striking distance of NY and it is good to know you had no issues with your parked car. I knew that Journal Square had to be a better and closer alternative to downtown Newark.

Folks will cart their luggage all over an airport and onto a hotel or car rental shuttle, but you mention taking your stuff on the train or subway and they balk. It's good to know that Journal Square has elevators and I'm betting that, if you looked around at 33rd Street in NY, there was some sort of elevator somewhere in that station.

Thanks to all for the great info. But, I was hoping someone could answer another question for me. I am leaving from Bayonne on the Constellation on October 30th and am flying into EWR. I have been exploring various transportation options. I know Celebrity offers a shuttle for approx $25pp, but I am arriving early and I don't want to be stuck at the airport for hours waiting until Celebrity decides to transport everyone. So, I have been looking into private car options, as well. Does anyone know what the approximate cab fare would be or have info about the shuttle service mentioned above? I have found a car service that charges about $60.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Vek, we too have been so frustrated because Celebrity does not offer a tour with airport drop off out of Bayonne.

We have been creating our own. We plan for my husband to get off the ship in the first wave and get transport to the airport where he will pick up a rental car and and return to pick up the other 4 in our party. If we are offered the option to check our bags direct from the ship, we probably will. We plan to drive to the Liberty Part ferry teminal and go over to Ellis Island for a couple of hours. Then we will return to the airport to drop off my cousin for the earliest flight, at 3:30. Our flight is scheduled at 6:30. It will be a long day, but our first visit to Ellis. At least that is The Plan.

Good luck!

PaulaW - I don't know the cost of a car service for you, but I think your instincts are absolutely correct to go directly to the ship and not wait for the Celebrity transfer. Why waste any time that you could be on the ship?

MrsBBuffalo - I'm glad your plan is working out. Just be sure to arrange for everyone else to get off in an early group. You really don't have a lot of time to go to Ellis Island and get someone back to Newark Airport for a 3:30 flight.

Archived