Celebrity EQUINOX - Inaugrual Transatlantic 5th November 2009

Prada Cowboy

I'm very impressed by the main roll call for this group. It's so many people, everyone seems nice, they seem dedicated to the martinis! :) I'm not kidding, by the way; if there's a tasting, you can have my jet fuel ones. Good grief. Nothing makes me feel more like a feeb than sipping a "real" martini and then making those involuntary faces! Give me a flirtini or a cosmo any day!

You and I will get along just fine. Can't tolerate the sweet ones...Ed likes 'em. But give me my rocket fuel, and stick olives and cocktail onions in it, and I'm happy! Athough I will often have a Manhattan as an alternative...a little sweeter, but still potent!:D

Call me crazy but we made a hotel reservation. We didn't think we really need to at this point but I like having something booked while I look for something better. We're staying at Hotel Domus Praetoria which is near the train station. We thought this good since we'll likely take the train in from the airport (and maybe to the port) and we'll also be planning a visit to Naples/Capri that will require train use. It was 110E a night.

I really like trains in Italy! We've taken them extensively, and, once you get over the fact that you don't understand much Italian, it's a remarkably pleasant experience. Definitely worth reserving seats, as it can be hard if you're traveling with lots of luggage. Day trips don't seem so bad though. I didn't take the train to Civitavecchia, but did to the airport form Rome, and had NO problems (other than being late for my flight! My fault) The only downside to a hotel near the train station might be the distance to certain sights in Rome, but, as we cabbed all over, not sure this is much of a handicap. And if you ever get a chance to take a train a further distance, make sure to time it for lunch in the first class dining car. Nothing better than rolling through Tuscany while being served a cheese course! (food in general is 'good' not 'great', but the experience is lovely.

A.-

...once you get over the fact that you don't understand much Italian, it's a remarkably pleasant experience...

I may not have a wonder dog Hubble, but I have a wonder partner Mike. The guy is a language sponge. It was amazing to me how well he navigated Italian when we were there last year. Also, it might be easier for us because we both speak French (him better) and the commonalities help a lot.

You're right, and actually, I do speak French, and about 20 words of Italian, making the communication significantly better than I perhaps portrayed...last Fall in Umbria, we were able to communicate with the most darling little shop keeper, a woman at least in her 70's who spoke ONLY Italian. And yet we mananged to buy good wine, great cheese, and to reassure her that, as we were from Northern California, that the wild fires in Southern California, while a tragedy, did not affect us. Ah, world travel...it should always broaden one's view of the world, rather than confirm limited knowledge.:rolleyes:

All too often, I've heard folks from the States complain if they can't get food like at home, and why don't the natives of a country speak English in deference to US tourists!:eek:

All too often, I've heard folks from the States complain if they can't get food like at home, and why don't the natives of a country speak English in deference to US tourists!:eek:

You've just stumbled onto our pet peeve. Our hotel was around the corner from the Hard Rock in Barcelona and some folks from our CC group ate there the first night because they "missed home." After 4 hours? I'm amazed Michael didn't pass out trying not to yell at them. When we were on the vaporetto in Venice, I said something to him and a woman turned to us and said "it's so nice to hear English being spoken" and I thought Mike was going to go into Julia Sugarbaker mode.

I don't know why some people leave their homes.

and I thought Mike was going to go into Julia Sugarbaker mode.

My reaction is usually to move as far away as possible, and either speak French or mention my connections to Canada!:rolleyes:

Having a Roots Jacket also helps.;)

Andrew

Hey, I'm not one to judge...and there WAS report of a 'working girl' on the QE2 Panama Canal transit this month! :eek:

But, honestly, I think watching you go "All Julia" on someone's behind would be the most amusing trick!:) And with 2850 passengers, there's bound to be at least one target...:rolleyes: So long as it's not me. Although taunting you with "amurkin-isms" could be good cocktail fun.

"Cletus, you do down to the purser's desk an' git some a' that U-ro money...an' don't let 'em cheat ya'- they's always tryin' to cheat ya' or rob ya'. I saw the way that furin' girl who mops up the place was lookin' at mah kulot short set with the butterfly stitchin'...ya'd thing these people'd never seen decent quality hi-fashion clothes before. Now, I'm not predjudician, but if they just worked a little harder, learned to speak an intelligent word now and then, maybe they could make somethin' of themselves. I cain't half understan' 'em sometimes. An' don't get me started on the ones ashore. Why, that Frenchie made such a face when we asked where the McDonald's was, ya'd think he didn't know good food! Oh, pass me another one a' them Mallomars I brung from home"

Oh, yes, this could be delightful fun.:D

Andrew

My reaction is usually to move as far away as possible, and either speak French or mention my connections to Canada!:rolleyes:

Having a Roots Jacket also helps.;)

Andrew

Andrew and Lee,

Indeed, it is remarkable to see that some people go to great extend to travel abroad and complain that they cannot get what they do at home. It is appaling. Why bother leave their homes and spend the money. ... and yes travel does broaden horizons and one's view of the world. I guess some people will never get that. ... What is worse is they do not even know they are not getting it. ... I suppose a Walmart atop the Spanish Steps in Rome would be appropriate to them. ... They should perhaps go to Las Vegas where some of the European landmarks have been more so reproduced. And yes English is spoken there.

Andrew, take your Roots jacket along.

Actually, Mike I had a very good visit to Vegas over Easter. We stayed at the Palazzo (an addition to the Venetian) and at TheHotel at Mandalay Bay. We ate a great meal (David Burke) and countless thousand buffet calories. It was a lot of fun and we managed to see a few shows, too. Apparently, I'm younger in Las Vegas. I haven't stayed up that late in forever!

Hello Andrew!

Oh! How this burns me up when an American expresses himself or herself in this manner while visiting another country. It makes me cringe. I usually roll my eyes and run fast in the opposite direction.

Hello Lee:

Although we have never met, I always enjoy reading your posts, comments, and reviews. I sincerely do hope that one day we cross paths on a cruise. We almost just did as I just got off of the Century which Francois will board in a few days (for like the 3rd time?).

Hello Francois:

What you have just stated about why people travel and not use the opportunity to learn and expand their horizons is so true. Stay at home and save your money! Better yet, give me the money so that I can travel some more!!!

You are ALL going to have a GRAND time!!!

Juan

"Grand"

What a wonderful word. The "Savoy", the "Dorchester", the "Connaught", the "Lanesborough". ... All beautiful hotels.

Reminiscing of past Ocean Liners era such as the glorious Queen Mary and the Queen Elizabeth. ... Both Queens served the Second World War as troopships. ... The Queen Mary is known to have shorten the war by one year, according to Sir Winston Churchill.

And what is to say about the noble and gracious "Normandie". ... The most glamour ship ever to have sailed the North Atlantic. All Art Deco, and yet a tragic ending in New YorK harbour. So sad, and yet preventable. ( She was on fire and the amount of water poured in, made her capsize, where the tragedy lies )

And "Grand" were those ships. Really! .... The Queen Mary, the Queen Elizabeth ( the Lizzie ). ... And previously were the Lusitania, lost at war (the 1rst ), the noble Mauretania, and the Aquitania. ... And then the Berengaria (formerly the Emperator ), reparation of War.

Having sailed a few times on Celebrity and Cunard. ... Needless to say that Celebrity along with Cunard are the best lines to sail upon.

François,

Although I have never cruised nor can afford lines such as Seabourn, Regent Seven Seas nor Crystal. I am convinced that those lines offer a great and superior service as the ratio of crew and passengers is narrowed.

I would love to cruise on an Hebridean ship. The Hebridean Princess does solely the British Isles cruises.

http://www.hebridean.co.uk/ships/princess_deckplan_k.html

But I feel that Celebrity Cruises, for a mainstream line, offers great value. I honestly find the service superb. ... As a flight attendant, to go across the pond within six hours is routine. ... To cross the North Atlantic in six days is devine. ... Days at sea, pure relaxation, flying fish, dolphins and great company and a nice shaken chilled Martini. ... That is living.

I suppose a Walmart atop the Spanish Steps in Rome would be appropriate to them. ...
Some of us think a Walmart is innappropriate just by virtue of its existence! It typifies what is wrong with this world!

Hey Juan! You should join us!

Hey Francois! It's true that lines like Crystal have better food and service (well maybe not when compared to the Grills on Cunard or the specialty restaurants Celebrity) but I, too, find Celebrity a good value.

Andrew

Some of us think a Walmart is innappropriate just by virtue of its existence! It typifies what is wrong with this world!

I agree. It's funny because we mentioned to someone recently that we don't shop there and they looked at us like we were nuts. I think that for them, it was stranger than if we had told them we were Amway-selling Scientologists.

You will have two more gentlemen joining you on the TA for Equinox!! We booked the back-to-back trip out of Rome so will get to experience 28 days of the ship. Rich and I, although not partners, make great traveling buddies. We are not as experienced at cruising (on ships) as you guys but are looking forward to meeting and making new friends. Hope to meet & greet all of you in Nov. 2009!! :p

Archived