Number of suitcases?

pshrynk

How many bags are allowed to be checked? My wife and I have never taken a two week trip since 9/11, so the rules have changed a lot. We are flying American Lost Luggage Express to Santiago, Chile for the Star cruise next month.

2 per person - but some airlines recently are charing $25 for the second bag - not all airlines. I believe that US air or United were the instigators of this. Keep in mind that most airlines have a 50 pound limit and will charge you for overweight bags.

The cruise - as many as you want from what (within reason) I understand.

There is no restriction for the cruise. Keep in mind that the bags will be in your cabin for the duration of your cruise. We keep ours either under the beds or in the closet.

As to the airlines, they each have their own rules. United, USAir and Delta have recently started charging $25 for a second bag. I am not sure if this applies to international flights. Most have a limit of 50 pounds per bag and will charge extra if your bag is too heavy.

Check with American to verify their rules.

There is no restriction for the cruise. Keep in mind that the bags will be in your cabin for the duration of your cruise. We keep ours either under the beds or in the closet.

As to the airlines, they each have their own rules. United, USAir and Delta have recently started charging $25 for a second bag. I am not sure if this applies to international flights. Most have a limit of 50 pounds per bag and will charge extra if your bag is too heavy.

Check with American to verify their rules.

Delta does not charge for the second bag and allows two checked bags per person up to 50lbs each as well as one carryon and one personal item.

Mike:)

American Air allows 2 bags, (I think that all trips that have an international destination have to allow 2 bags. Even if you have a transfer point in the US it is still considered an international flight, it is your final destination.) but the limit on size has to be taken into account. Bags cannot be more than 62" when adding the length + width+heigth and no more than 50 pounds. Most 29" bags will fit within the size limit if you don't expand them all the way. I have been checking 29" bags and many of them are 62.5" when expanded completely. These are those with the zipper expansion section.

American Air allows 2 bags, (I think that all trips that have an international destination have to allow 2 bags. Even if you have a transfer point in the US it is still considered an international flight, it is your final destination.) but the limit on size has to be taken into account. Bags cannot be more than 62" when adding the length + width+heigth and no more than 50 pounds. Most 29" bags will fit within the size limit if you don't expand them all the way. I have been checking 29" bags and many of them are 62.5" when expanded completely. These are those with the zipper expansion section.

I originally thought you were going to say they couldn't be more than 62" in length!:eek: I thought I was pretty safe with that!:)

So United Airlines is the only carrier so far imposing the $25 fee for the second checked bag, is that correct?

There are a few others. One that comes to mind is U.S. Airways. They are also limiting baggage to one checked per person, with a charge for a second.

So United Airlines is the only carrier so far imposing the $25 fee for the second checked bag, is that correct?
I believe that's just for domestic flights. The OP is taking an international flight so that domestic flight restrictions don't apply to his question and just confuses things unless the poster specifies that it's either domestic or international.

Eveyone needs to go to their own airlines website and find the rules for that particular airline as they are all different and seem to be changing often. Even if you know what they are today, if you aren't flying for another month or more you're going to have to check again just before your flight to make sure nothing else has changed. Domestic and international rules are usually different. If the op hasn't flown since before 9/11 they will also have to check out the rules for what can and can not be in their carryon luggage. Isn't flying fun ? ;) :D

Eveyone needs to go to their own airlines website and find the rules for that particular airline as they are all different and seem to be changing often. Even if you know what they are today, if you aren't flying for another month or more you're going to have to check again just before your flight to make sure nothing else has changed. Domestic and international rules are usually different. ;) :D

When the restrictions for 1 bag only are announced, so far it has only been for flights not already booked.

We found you do not have to keep bags in your cabin for the duration of the cruise, no matter what catagory of cabin you have. Just ask your steward and he will take them away, not sure where. And, you will find them back in your cabin on the last day.

Archived