Room Assignment - When do you know?

Hi All,

I'm a newbie to here and cruising. I'm about to book my first cruise on Granduer from Balt in mid-May but I've been cautioned to not get rooms near the anchor, engines, etc.

My question is, when do you find out what room you're getting? And what can you do about it if it's in such a place?

Thanks,

Randy

Unless you book a guarantee,you tell your TA or RCCL(if you book directly) which cabin you want and thats the one you get.....stay midship and higher up to avoid the anchor/engine noise,,

Did you book a guarantee category room? If not you should have picked your actual room based on your preferences. BTW Welcome to the boards and to cruising. Have you checked your reservation on the RCCL.com website

Thanks for the replies!

I haven't booked yet but was going to do a ocean view guaruntee through their website, which didn't seem to allow a choice of the exact room, so I didn't complete the process. Should I call them to pick the exact room or discuss it with them?

Thanks!

Thanks for the replies!

I haven't booked yet but was going to do a ocean view guaruntee through their website, which didn't seem to allow a choice of the exact room, so I didn't complete the process. Should I call them to pick the exact room or discuss it with them?

Thanks!

Welcome to the boards! With a guarantee cabin you don't get to choose the room whether you book online or over the phone. If you want to choose a room than you need to pick a category that shows available rooms to choose from or call RCI and they will assist you in choosing a category and a room.

If you do book a guarantee, there is no discussing which cabin you want.......its luck of the draw what they assign you...

However if you are really concerned about where you are,book another category that lets you pick a cabin...........

Ah! <Light bulb going on over head.>

Ok thanks!

For your first cruise unless there is a huge price difference I would book a specific cabin, IMO. Midship is the most stable and it will reduce your chance of seasickness.

I booked a "guaranteed" cabin once and didn't find out what room we had until our documents arrived a few weeks before sailing. We were kind of hoping for an upgrade, but it didn't happen. We were happy with their selection, but if you want a particular ocean view cabin, don't go the guaranteed route.

My worry is the engine noise or anchor. Or traffic. I'm a light sleeper.

My wife thinks an oceanview matters but I'm not sold on that, esp. after seeing the options on their site just now. Most of them are the very last cabin at the ship's rear. Doesn't seem good to me!

Then there are inside rooms right next to elevators. Also doesn't sound good!

My worry is the engine noise or anchor. Or traffic. I'm a light sleeper.

My wife thinks an oceanview matters but I'm not sold on that, esp. after seeing the options on their site just now. Most of them are the very last cabin at the ship's rear. Doesn't seem good to me!

Then there are inside rooms right next to elevators. Also doesn't sound good!

It is very late and there are probably not that many rooms left but I would rather be way aft then forward. You won't hear much from the elevators though. Which date are you looking at?

BTW, I must comment, I've been on a lot of forums and you guys seem exceptionally nice. :)

It's Granduer out of Baltimore on May 15 for 9 nights to the Carribean.

I just did a courtesy room hold on an interior, which not only saves at least $350 on the next cheapest thing, but it's 4th deck about five cabins away from the dining room area (far enough I'm guessing).

The non-guaruntee oceanview ones left (only three) were on Deck Two, the last two cabins aft and another about 4 from the end.

BTW, I must comment, I've been on a lot of forums and you guys seem exceptionally nice. :)

I just did a courtesy room hold on an interior, which not only saves at least $350 on the next cheapest thing, but it's 4th deck about five cabins away from the dining room area (far enough I'm guessing).

The non-guaruntee oceanview ones left (only three) were on Deck Two, the last two cabins aft and another about 4 from the end.

Looks like a great location, I have never been in an inside but my kids 22 and 19 love them because they are so dark and they sleep great. You are going to have a great time. The itinerary is really nice.

We just had an inside on the Grandeur(in Jan) and its fine.........My very first RCCL was an inside.........have done every category since,but still dont mind the insides........

Best chance of getting upgrades is to book a guarantee and you pay a lower price than selecting a cabin for that class of cabins.

For our last cruise we booked an inside guarantee on Legend for an East Med. itinerary and we got an J superior inside. For our upcoming Radiance we booked a balcony guarantee and got a deck seven E1 with an extra large balcony. Friend booked an inside gty and got an OV H cabin.

With a guarantee RC knows you are willing to accept any cabin that meets or exceeds your minimum category level while with selected cabins (especially balconies) people often get upset if they are changed even to a higher category as they wanted a certain location, eg. hump, or a certain cabin and often ask for their original cabin back when advised of an upgrade.

Being near elevators isn't a problem since we've had a few cabins beside them and heard no noise from them. Also RC's sites doesn't show all available cabins in a category unless there is 5 or less available. Other online cruise booking sites show more. The one with the gnome shows 7 so look at other sites to see more of what is available. Also different sites may show different cabins that are available.

The non-guarantee oceanview ones left (only three) were on Deck Two, the last two cabins aft and another about 4 from the end.

I just took a look at this sailing and there is a very good possibility for upgrades here for someone.

So your courtesy hold is on a L at $1029/person and there is still two other Ls showing. If I was booking this I would go for the cheaper M Gty at $1019 since thare are no M showing available so an gty here would IMO get at least one of the not badly located L cabins showing or could be upgraded to an OV (3 I & 1 H showing available) which are not in bad locations. RC would rather sell an OV at the inside rate than sail with an empty cabin.

They can't sell drinks, excursions, bingo, gambling, duty free etc. to people that might have been in an empty cabin upon sailing. This situation is ripe for someone to get an upgrade and the guarantee bookings are the most likely to get this.

I also see that the G and F OVs are on gty so IMO some people who book these may be or someone else will be upgraded to the 2 D2 or the 4 D1 available.

We have been in a 3rd deck OV and a 6th deck JS (glorified balcony) on the Grandeur-- no issue with the noise in either stateroom. While I do enjoy an Inside (I'd take a deck 1 inside versus staying at home any day!!!!), for a 9 day trip an OV might be nice.

I just took a look at this sailing and there is a very good possibility for upgrades here for someone.

So your courtesy hold is on a L at $1029/person and there is still two other Ls showing. If I was booking this I would go for the cheaper M Gty at $1019 since thare are no M showing available so an gty here would IMO get at least one of the not badly located L cabins showing or could be upgraded to an OV (3 I & 1 H showing available) which are not in bad locations. RC would rather sell an OV at the inside rate than sail with an empty cabin.

This situation is ripe for someone to get an upgrade and the guarantee bookings are the most likely to get this...

Hi Bob,

Great post! Yes that's right. Thanks for looking at this. It made me wonder...

If a kind of room, such as interior, is showing only a few left, does that really mean RCI has booked all the others? Or do they "reserve" some for whatever reason, releasing them later?

I'm seeing two M interior gty in midship on Deck 2 btw

Any opinions on which is better?

1. Lowest deck (2), guarantee, interior. Right now 2 rooms show in midship

2. 2 decks above that, midship, interior. Non-guaruntee (we pick the room), for $10 more per person.

If we "gamble" on #1, there's a chance:

a - we get one of those two rooms, which are ok; or

b - we get an upgrade.

Upgrades seem to be:

3. same deck as #1 (lowest), oceanview, farthest aft cabin (both available, plus 1 other nearby, and that's all on that deck), and I think this would stink due to the engines. Can we refuse such an "upgrade"?

4. upgrade to #2 but we don't pick the room but the 3 that are available are ok

5. upgrade to higher deck oceanview, such as Deck 3 (only 1 available 1/3 of the way from the bow), or two other oceanview types on Decks 3 and 4 (can't see how many there are).

6. A big upgrade to a suite or something.

We're not planning on being in the cabin unless pooped, meaning we doubt looking out the window is much of a concern, but I don't know.

This is fun!

Thanks.

P.S. Am I being really anal? It's ok, you can be honest :)

For 10$ pick your room and then there are no surprises. For the next cruise book earlier for a better selection and by then you will know more what to expect and you can take more of a gamble with a guarantee room if you choose.

Any opinions on which is better?

1. Lowest deck (2), guarantee, interior. Right now 2 rooms show in midship

2. 2 decks above that, midship, interior. Non-guaruntee (we pick the room), for $10 more per person.

If we "gamble" on #1, there's a chance:

a - we get one of those two rooms, which are ok; or

b - we get an upgrade.

Upgrades seem to be:

3. same deck as #1 (lowest), oceanview, farthest aft cabin (both available, plus 1 other nearby, and that's all on that deck), and I think this would stink due to the engines. Can we refuse such an "upgrade"?

4. upgrade to #2 but we don't pick the room but the 3 that are available are ok

5. upgrade to higher deck oceanview, such as Deck 3 (only 1 available 1/3 of the way from the bow), or two other oceanview types on Decks 3 and 4 (can't see how many there are).

6. A big upgrade to a suite or something.

We're not planning on being in the cabin unless pooped, meaning we doubt looking out the window is much of a concern, but I don't know.

This is fun!

Thanks.

P.S. Am I being really anal? It's ok, you can be honest :)

It makes you fit right in!

By the way, we call it "cruise-obsessed". ;)

We booked our son a gurantee room and he received his stateroom number 2 days later. They have him booked in a higher cat. room then we booked, and the room number was not even available on their web site. So I am thinking that they may have rooms that are not shown on their site that are available.

I think it's safe to say that they never show all the rooms available on their site. sometimes the other places you can go online to book a cruise will show more rooms than on RCCL's page - although you can still call RCCL and get one of those too. And there always seem to be even more rooms available than those. I called the other day to upgrade and it turned out that out of the 6 cabins i wanted (that weren't showing on the site), 5 were available. If there's a room you want, ALWAYS call to check if it's there!

Archived