Gangs on the Miracle out of NYC?

tinlizzy

Just read about this in the worst experience thread. Was this an isolated incidence or common?

Were these really gang members or were the cruisers mistakenly associating hip-hop clothing and bad behavior with "gangs"?

My guess is the second...

Not having been on a NYC cruise in many years, I wouldn't know for sure - but from all of the reviews that I've read about the Miracle, I would say that this is an isolated incident, if at all.

Just read about this in the worst experience thread. Was this an isolated incidence or common?

Were these really gang members or were the cruisers mistakenly associating hip-hop clothing and bad behavior with "gangs"?

It was us and we really think it was just an isolated incident. The actions were those of members. They overtook the disco and to be there was to feel very intimidated. We enjoy dancing and only once we were able to feel comfortable. The ship is so big that we saw them hanging in just certain areas and were noticed by our friends we traveled with who were policemen. We just avoided them. Don't fret. :) We love saling from NY and as posted by Stinkers, they did not notice anything.

In the recent years my parents have only cruised out of NYC and have had no issues so I think it is that of an isolated incident. I also think that it was something that maybe was taken a little too far....I don't know I wasn't there but it just seems like it may have been people who were a little intimidating to others but I doubt that it would be that of a gang I could be wrong though.

Erm, not sure if anyone considered this, but usually people in gangs are from less than privileged environments, I honestly doubt that any gang members could afford a cruise. I've worked with kids in gangs, they would have no way of paying for a cruise. What you probably saw were just the hip hop culture out in full force, not gangs.

Erm, not sure if anyone considered this, but usually people in gangs are from less than privileged environments, I honestly doubt that any gang members could afford a cruise. I've worked with kids in gangs, they would have no way of paying for a cruise. What you probably saw were just the hip hop culture out in full force, not gangs.

I agree with this that's why I said that I doubted that it was a gang. People in gangs (also personal experience from working with these kinds of people) not only can't afford it but usually will not leave where they live for fear of problems while they are gone...A cruise is probably the last thought on their mind.

There have been gangs on every one of my cruises thus far.

It seems like every night the Maitre'd calls "red team" and "blue team" over the intercom. Now, after seeing Gangland on the History channel I know that the Crips are the blues and the Bloods are the reds. I never realized it, but I have been right in the middle of a potential gang war every night at dinner!

You deserve a ship on a stick:D

Just want to put you all notice... In Oct there will be a gang on the Miracle. The Merrymakers will be taking over the ship.

The only gang I'm concerned with seeing on my cruise next week, is a gang of bartenders. I'm aiming for about a $1400 S&S balance for drinks. :D

Strange. We encountered something, but a lot tamer than gangs, as well on the Miracle 4 years ago. Machos in hip hop outfits, just plain rude, using foul language everywhere they went.

Everywhere they were, I made sure we were not.

This cruise was also not selling well, due to the destinations. They were cutting rates left and right. I found out quickly why people don't like to sail to Florida and the Bahamas in July.

Ummm...have you considered that some of these fine upstanding gang members may be involved in some not so legal activities which generate income?

While we're at it...I'm not a big fan of the hip hop culture, dress...whatever. Never understood the need to wear a ball cap at the 4 or 10 o'clock position nor have I ever understood wearing ones pants down around their knees? If these people only realized how stupid they looked.:rolleyes:

Ummm...have you considered that some of these fine upstanding gang members may be involved in some not so legal activities which generate income?

While we're at it...I'm not a big fan of the hip hop culture, dress...whatever. Never understood the need to wear a ball cap at the 4 or 10 o'clock position nor have I ever understood wearing ones pants down around their knees? If these people only realized how stupid they looked.:rolleyes:

They sure do look stupid. I don't mind the way they wear the ballcaps but the pants leave a lot to be desired....LOL!!! So stupid hanging down to their knees. I don't know how they can even walk. hahahahha:D:D Too funny Liv.

Especially if some of them realized that their underwear was not exactly, um......clean. :eek:

Bet I can find a google for that one LOL ;)

They sure do look stupid. I don't mind the way they wear the ballcaps but the pants leave a lot to be desired....LOL!!! So stupid hanging down to their knees. I don't know how they can even walk. hahahahha Too funny Liv.

LOL...and while we're at it....WHY do we need to coordinate the b-ball outfit? Bright red and white cap...bright red and white top, bright read and white shorts (look like manpris) white tube sox (up to the knees mind you) with silly looking red stripes and to top it off...a pair of red and white felony fliers...:rolleyes: Saw this yesterday and if I were the kids dad I woulda beat his but for leaving the house looking like that.:rolleyes: :cool:

Ball-cap thing... dominant to hip hop culture... I think I can tolerate it to some extent, although I'm of the opinion if you've gotta wear your hat weird just turn in to the back :D

The pant thing... not dominant to only hip hop culture at all... I think that its become a sickening disease among young men.

I've seen the punk crowd with their pants all the way down there as well.

I think it is the artsy types, the preppy types and the goths who have managed to withstand this sickening fad.

But I do agree... its really annoying and the weirdest part is that they actually think its very cool.

Coming from a teenager --- I think its the biggest turn off ever.

Livetojump mentioned about the illegal activities gang members will get into so as to be able to afford cruises. I don't agree to fully with that...granted they all perform the illegal drug selling and whatnots but from what I've understood about gang culture it is the top, tiers (and forgive me at risk of sounding entirely too cynical) would appear to be upstanding members of society that benefit from the illegal activities of their minions.

What they do is they recruit these kids, offering them all these grandiose whatnots and they do the ground work... the top tiers receive the bulk of the money.

And those top tiered people, are not the ones who come across as gangster at all.

Btw Livetojump... not sure if the sarcasm at the start of your post was entirely warranted... after all I'm sure those who were speaking about working with gang members hence the belief that they couldn't afford cruises were in no way shape or form implying that they were 'upstanding' members of society.

I think what happened on that ship were probably a bunch of kids or men... who listened to way too much rap music and watched way too much BET. So they believed 'acting' gangster was the way to go. Gang members, I'm less inclined to believe --- but who knows eh?

Bet I can find a google for that one LOL ;)

LOL...and while we're at it....WHY do we need to coordinate the b-ball outfit? Bright red and white cap...bright red and white top, bright read and white shorts (look like manpris) white tube sox (up to the knees mind you) with silly looking red stripes and to top it off...a pair of red and white felony fliers...:rolleyes: Saw this yesterday and if I were the kids dad I woulda beat his but for leaving the house looking like that.:rolleyes:

It's too bad that they don't think they look stupid. The kids of today are totally different than when we grew up. I can't believe what some of the girls wear. If I ever walked out of the house like that when I was a teenager, my mother would have locked me in my room. I was a teenager in the 70s and we had those plaid and striped bell bottoms. :eek::p:D

Archived