Gangs on the Miracle out of NYC?

tinlizzy

As the mother of one okay two of the 'baggy pant boys' I'd like to make a comment.
My son wears baggy britches as a fashion statement - they're in. He also knows the difference between appropriate and inappropriate - he has his clothes, mom clothes, and grandparent clothes. He dresses as he likes but has suits for those occaissions, and khaki's and polos for those occaisions. Some of his friends mom's and I laugh b/c these "gangsters" shop at Niemans, Gap, Old Navy, Macy's,...etc. They actually have some georgeous clothes - just a couple of sizes too big. We have a pic of the ten of them (oddly they are the varsity baseball team) out of uniform - and we now refer to them as "The Gap gone Ghetto"...basically preppy little boys trying to look tough. As a prosecutor I can tell you that they fall short of the tough mark.

I think what is seen on the ships are mainly these type of youths - addmittedly some with missing manners; if they were real gang members - the low level street thugs - trust me you would never have had any doubts as to what they were. As for the upper echelon of gangland - you'd probably never recognize them - they have mastered the art of being inconspicuous.

[quote name='3boysvus']

I think what is seen on the ships are mainly these type of youths - addmittedly some with missing manners; if they were real gang members - the low level street thugs - trust me you would never have had any doubts as to what they were. As for the upper echelon of gangland - you'd probably never recognize them - they have mastered the art of being inconspicuous.[/quote]

I've mentioned this a couple of posts up. I agree with that.

[quote name='3boysvus']

My son wears baggy britches as a fashion statement - they're in. [/quote]

I think at times this generation really over does it with the baggy pant thing.
Honestly once the pant starts to drop off our your bum to reveal your boxers, boxer-briefs or sometimes nothing at all :eek: ... I think that's when it become not a fashion statement but disgusting. MHO.

I agree that as the years go on the kids get progressivly worse 110%! I went back to college 4 years ago and walked in the class being the oldest one in there (I was only 25 at the time but still) I was in shock at how disrespectful these 17 and 18 year olds were. I never would have acted in that manner nor would anyone I knew at that age. These kids have gotten out of control... I walked out of class that first day and I was beside myself. They were so terribly rude and obnoxious to the professors and didn't care.

Now as for the clothing. I don't think this has anything to do with the way they act. The clothing only adds to how they seperate themselves but I can tell you my nephew wears hip hop clothing and very baggy pants and happens to be one of the most respectful and polite 18 year olds I have ever met in my life, it's almost shocking how good of a kid he is and he is actually going to the police academy this june...so I don't think clothes have anything to do with it, I think that is just a matter of taste for them. I think that the way they act is due to the parents. A lot of it has to do with how the parents act around them and treat them as well how they talk in front of them and to them. I also think that it has a lot to do with these kids having parents that both work full time jobs and are almost never home with them to set guidelines and rules or show them right from wrong as much as parents who are home more often and don't work as much. These children are left with other adults in the schools and after school programs to help show them these things. I have actually been out at the store and seen women talking to their kids and I can't believe the things that they say to them. I saw a baby A BABY! crying must have been a good year old and the mother yelled at him to "shut the f up before I punch you in your face!" That wasn't the only time I had seen this I have seen it on more then a few occasions. How do you think these kids will grow up to act or be? This is where these things stem from!

Two years ago on a 4 day Imagination out of Miami the price had been lowered and widely advertised at $159pp as an in state special. We paid twice that rate and thought we had a good deal. But out of 13 cruises I can tell you the price brought in an element I've never seen on any other cruise. When prices get that cheap and you have no airfare etc., you will see non typical cruise passengers. Much more rowdy and raw than I expect on a cruise. And they were not kids I'm talking about. I won't be more specific as it will create an uproar.

[quote name='big_duck']Who says no to Girl Scout cookies??? :confused:[/QUOTE]
I didn't have money on me one day and she asked if I would like my legs broken, or my house burnt down. So I went in my wallet and took out a folded up $50 I had hidden in there and gave it to her out of fear. She is my daughter Emilys best friend

[quote name='DqALEX']I didn't have money on me one day and she asked if I would like my legs broken, or my house burnt down. So I went in my wallet and took out a folded up $50 I had hidden in there and gave it to her out of fear. She is my daughter Emilys best friend[/quote]

I remember the days of Girl Scout cookie sales with my daughter. They sell several hundred boxes and get a measly patch. Then the parents are stuck delivering all these cookies. I'd sure hate to pay for the gas now to deliver them.

OMG! :eek: My daughter is a girl scout and I can tell you her troop is nothing like that but I will not deny that some of the moms for kids in the other troops are crazy it's like those crazy cheerleader moms! We were at the mall a few weeks ago and there were a bunch of girls there selling cookies and one was dressed as a cookie. They harrassed us beyond belief and one little girl was following us and asking why we didn't want to buy, she kept following us and wouldn't leave us alone! So I can see it! I just went off on the mom later on and told her some people don't want them and for her information I had 10 extra boxes sitting at home and asked if she wanted to buy them from me and if not then leave me alone! lol!

[quote name='Mikel1733']I remember the days of Girl Scout cookie sales with my daughter. They sell several hundred boxes and get a measly patch. Then the parents are stuck delivering all these cookies. I'd sure hate to pay for the gas now to deliver them.[/QUOTE]
Its great if you can sell them to your neighbors so you don;t have to drive all over town. Its funny because I have 3 kids so I know most of the kids around my block. I told her to go away kid I don;t have any money. Thats when she said OH Yeah how would you like your legs broken or your house burnt down.

[quote name='Mikel1733']I remember the days of Girl Scout cookie sales with my daughter. They sell several hundred boxes and get a measly patch. Then the parents are stuck delivering all these cookies. I'd sure hate to pay for the gas now to deliver them.[/quote]
'Tis that time of year again! As I sit here chuckling, not only the mother of an 8 YO Brownie, but one of her troop leaders as well. And I glance over to the pile of unclaimed cookies, ordered by family and friends who have been too lazy at this point to pick them up and pay ME for them (because, ofcourse, the deadline for having them paid for came and went and so it came out of OUR pocket). :rolleyes:

I keep hoping that DD will lose interest.

But I do second the "cutthroat" nature of some cookie peddlers...mostly the mom's though. ;) In competition with one another. And the fabulous (NOT!) prizes (for 125 boxes, DD got a 4" metal DOG statue and half of her daycamp fees paid, if she even decides to go).

[quote name='Mikel1733']Two years ago on a 4 day Imagination out of Miami the price had been lowered and widely advertised at $159pp as an in state special. We paid twice that rate and thought we had a good deal. But out of 13 cruises I can tell you the price brought in an element I've never seen on any other cruise. When prices get that cheap and you have no airfare etc., you will see non typical cruise passengers. Much more rowdy and raw than I expect on a cruise. And they were not kids I'm talking about. I won't be more specific as it will create an uproar.[/quote]

You are [I]exactly[/I] on point with what I was thinking. Seeing those posts and the PVP talking about low resident rates made me think of our last cruise which was on the Destiny.

The Destiny cruise was so fun but my memories are tarnished by the behavior of about 20 people who insisted on drinking themselves into oblivion then yelling, screaming, holding their crotch and making kissy noises at every female who walked by, they even had their own boom box blaring everynight up on the Lido - add a danger element to that with this talk of gangs and that would just be too much.

[quote name='Sandi149']It's too bad that they don't think they look stupid. The kids of today are totally different than when we grew up. I can't believe what some of the girls wear. If I ever walked out of the house like that when I was a teenager, my mother would have locked me in my room. I was a teenager in the 70s and we had those plaid and striped bell bottoms. :eek::p:D[/quote]

I don't know about this. I have a kids in their early 20's and I prefer baggy clothes to the things we wore. Heck I remember designer jeans so tight that every girl I knew used coat hangers to poke the pockets in. Even the guys wore really tight pants and lets not forget spandex biker shorts (uuugggg) with tank tops.

My mother was a child of the 60's and I remember pictures of the shortest shorts, I think they were called hotpants, and white boots. And didn't guys wear enough grease in their hair to cook french fries and carry a comb in their back pocket and a pack of marlboros rolled up in their tee-shirt sleeves.

I think every generations clothing choices are considered ugly and stupid by the other generations.

[quote name='In2why']I don't know about this. I have a kids in their early 20's and I prefer baggy clothes to the things we wore. Heck I remember designer jeans so tight that every girl I knew used coat hangers to poke the pockets in. Even the guys wore really tight pants and lets not forget spandex biker shorts (uuugggg) with tank tops.

My mother was a child of the 60's and I remember pictures of the shortest shorts, I think they were called hotpants, and white boots. And didn't guys wear enough grease in their hair to cook french fries and carry a comb in their back pocket and a pack of marlboros rolled up in their tee-shirt sleeves.

I think every generations clothing choices are considered ugly and stupid by the other generations.[/quote]

Yes, they were called hotpants and I had a pair of hot pink ones with those white boots that you describe.....LOL!!!!! I am also a child of the 60s. :eek:

On our first cruise in Feb. 2006, I was onboard the splendour of the seas with a gang...now I'm from a very small town in missouri, but I could tell right away these people were in a gang...they all wore distinctive colors, all tended to hang out in groups, wore the same type of clothes and they all were female!!! Yes...a real female gang...they didnt cause any trouble, instead were actually a lot of fun to be around...you may have guessed... it was that infamous Red Hat womens gang...I never seen so many red hat women in one place ...and those gals really know how to have a fun time...had one grab me in the elevator and showed me a few dance moves..she had to have been 85 or so..I'll just bet those gals could hold their own with a real gang of young tuffs...I know I wouldnt want to mess with them ...they can cruise with me anytime :)

[quote name='hillbillycruisers']On our first cruise in Feb. 2006, I was onboard the splendour of the seas with a gang...now I'm from a very small town in missouri, but I could tell right away these people were in a gang...they all wore distinctive colors, all tended to hang out in groups, wore the same type of clothes and they all were female!!! Yes...a real female gang...they didnt cause any trouble, instead were actually a lot of fun to be around...you may have guessed... it was that infamous Red Hat womens gang...I never seen so many red hat women in one place ...and those gals really know how to have a fun time...had one grab me in the elevator and showed me a few dance moves..she had to have been 85 or so..I'll just bet those gals could hold their own with a real gang of young tuffs...I know I wouldnt want to mess with them ...they can cruise with me anytime :)[/quote]
You have to watch this rowdy group. They completely took over our local resturant on tuesdays.:mad:

[quote name='MamaParrotHead']'Tis that time of year again! As I sit here chuckling, not only the mother of an 8 YO Brownie, but one of her troop leaders as well.[COLOR=red] And I glance over to the pile of unclaimed cookies, ordered by family and friends who have been too lazy at this point to pick them up and pay ME for them[/COLOR] (because, ofcourse, the deadline for having them paid for came and went and so it came out of OUR pocket). :rolleyes:

I keep hoping that DD will lose interest.

But I do second the "cutthroat" nature of some cookie peddlers...mostly the mom's though. ;) In competition with one another. And the fabulous (NOT!) prizes (for 125 boxes, DD got a 4" metal DOG statue and half of her daycamp fees paid, if she even decides to go).[/quote]

I buy Girl Scout cookies every year and no one has ever asked me to come pick them up, they have always delivered them to me. Maybe some of your friends have had the same experience and are not aware they have to come get them.

[quote name='big_duck']Who says no to Girl Scout cookies??? :confused:[/QUOTE]

Apparently no one did to me when I was a youngster....because I was "crowned Cookie Queen" for my region.

I still have the sterling silver bracelet and newspaper clipping....

I was one heck of a salesman!!! :D

[quote name='DqALEX']I didn't have money on me one day and she asked if I would like my legs broken, or my house burnt down. So I went in my wallet and took out a folded up $50 I had hidden in there and gave it to her out of fear. She is my daughter Emilys best friend[/quote]

What are you complaining about? Your the lier saying you didn't have money when you really did. :rolleyes:

[quote name='DqALEX']Dairy Queen is going to be buying a lot of Girl Scout Cookies this year. We are comming out with a new Blizzard with the girl Scout cookies blended up in ice cream. They just got done testing, out in M.N.[/quote]
:eek: :eek: :eek:

this is so wrong to hear after starting a diet :( :( :(

Archived