Gangs on the Miracle out of NYC?

tinlizzy

• 3 months later...

Part of me thinks this post is both funny and sad. It's terrible that a group of (BLACK & LATINO) cruisers are called and "mistaken" for GANG members. When I go on a cruise and I see a large group of persons of any race taking over things, loud rowdy, disrespectful. foul mouth, ie. a family reunion, corporate cruise, large group I would in fact not refer to these people as a gang. Rude guest maybe. It is funny that we expect when going on a ship of up to 3,000 people or more for people to act or look like you do. I have been offended a couple of times on cruises by people who just need to relly keep ther mouth shut. I was on the Grandeur on RCCL last year with my parents, husband, niece and nephew. We were getting our picture taken of our cruise critic group and a loud mouth called out, about my dad "that's not a shadow in the picture it really is a black person. Did we get offended and scared of this large group of non Latino+Black people. No, we smiled graciouly and wrote it of as just another ingorant, uneducated person. It is my professional to deal with people with irrational thoughts and beliefs, and even to help them to sort out the root of their issues. However, when I go on a cruise I like to leave my work behind and just relax an enjoy my family and fun.

...I expereinced a less than enjoyable cruise last year and when I posted the details I was called a lying racist ..why is it so hard for anyone to believe that an unruly, rude group called gang or otherwise can ruin someones vacation?

To those on the Miracle who expereinced this you have my support and empathy...

Nancy

Never saw any gangs on our Miracle cruise last June....unless you count gangs of senior citizens. :p

Yes, I'm a senior citizen ! Don't mess with me.....and I won't have to call my "friends" in Detroit.:eek:

Gangs don't go on cruises.

There may be groups that travel together.....some may behave differently than others.

Anyone of us who have lived around the street gang types know that the last place you'll see them is on a Carnival ship or any other.

Many people make their living in the illicit drug business...that doesn't make them gang members....it just makes them criminals. Recently in our area, 3 physicians and a pharmacist were arrested for selling crack cocaine.

People bring their racist views to what they see and what they experience

every person wearing baggy jeans.....hat to the side is not a gang member.......they may not understand the impression they are giving off but not all of them are gang members.....just like the 60's every young man with long hair was not a drug user, or 70's every one with a bush was not a mean black male.......people have to understand that we are all the same and if you prejudge someone by their skin color, by the clothes they wear......etc you may sell someone short........and for sure those guys did some stupid stuff on the ship...are ignorant and in need of some schooling......but do not judge the next kid who think they are making a fashion statement as a gang member,,,,,,,,see lets be honest....listen to this and see if it makes you re-think........if an old white lady was sitting on a bench and a young "white" youth snatched her purse she would think of him as a bad apple......a white youth who turned bad......but that same lady if a young "black youth" snatched her purse she would curse every black youth" saying "them" black youths are out of control......and that is sad.....the actions of one do not represent a race as a whole.......please please people...wake up....judge the individual.....not his/her race........

So am I, and i have empathy for anyone that is legitamitly victimized. Been there. I am speaking to the fact that we have all been on cruises were there have been loud mouths or intimadating people and groups. I read here that many people were on a cruise with the HOG's and felt they had taken over the ship. Some were calling them derogatory names and assuming because they were "bikers ect" that they were somehow thugs. While many reminded some posters just because they looked a cerrtain way did not make them THUGS. Aside from looks there are people in many circles that are professional and nothing like they appear. Rowdy is Rowdy, regardless.

Yup, we had plaid and striped bell bottons...LOL When I look at old pictures I just can't believe I wore those things. :D

As if that wasn't bad enough, remember "elephant bells"; those pants with HUGE flares at the bottom? YIKES!

Archived