Besides Atlantis, What else in Nassau for familes?

Cruise Passenger

We have never been to the Bahamas before. We are a family of four (children 7 and 10) and are looking for something to do in our short time in nassau. Is there a beach we can walk to from the dock? If not what are our options other than Atlantis? We are only here for a short period of time.

We are in the same situation. My husband and I will be there with our children (11 and 8). None of us have ever been to Nassau before. We will only be docked there from 7 am until 2 pm. We may book an excursion through Carnival. If you have any suggestions or advice on excursions, that would be appreciated. I would also love some suggestions on things to do if we decide not to do an excursion while we are in port. Thanks! :D

We were in Nassau back in 4/05 and made the mistake of doing the Yellowbird excursion through Carnival. It was pretty darn LAME.

I have been debating on what to do (coincidentally, my kids will be 6 and 10 when we sail). I had narrowed my choices down to either doing the Digs at Atlantis (for $30+ per person) or doing a day pass at one of the resorts (British Colonial Hilton, Wyndham or Sheraton Cable Beach) for $15 per person. Although I'd still like to maybe head to Atlantis to look around, I've decided on doing a day pass. We just spent last weekend in Chicago and, among other things, took the kids to the Shedd Aquarium. As much as we dig sharks, rays, fish, etc....there's only so MUCH of that to see, before everyone has had ENOUGH. And I just can't justify spending $120 for my family of 4 to enjoy the first half an hour of that. Does that make any sense?

Other than the day pass, I may wander a bit around to pick up a few souvenirs (staying OUT of the Straw Market, that was scary enough with just us ADULTS, let alone kids).

Hope that helps!

We were in Nassau back in 4/05 and made the mistake of doing the Yellowbird excursion through Carnival. It was pretty darn LAME.

I have been debating on what to do (coincidentally, my kids will be 6 and 10 when we sail). I had narrowed my choices down to either doing the Digs at Atlantis (for $30+ per person) or doing a day pass at one of the resorts (British Colonial Hilton, Wyndham or Sheraton Cable Beach) for $15 per person. Although I'd still like to maybe head to Atlantis to look around, I've decided on doing a day pass. We just spent last weekend in Chicago and, among other things, took the kids to the Shedd Aquarium. As much as we dig sharks, rays, fish, etc....there's only so MUCH of that to see, before everyone has had ENOUGH. And I just can't justify spending $120 for my family of 4 to enjoy the first half an hour of that. Does that make any sense?

Other than the day pass, I may wander a bit around to pick up a few souvenirs (staying OUT of the Straw Market, that was scary enough with just us ADULTS, let alone kids).

Hope that helps!

Where do you get the info on day passes at one of the resorts?

Where do you get the info on day passes at one of the resorts?

Read this board! Among the dozens and dozens of threads about Atlantis, there are actually threads about other things to do in Nassau! You have to hunt for them, but they're there. Apparently two dozen Atlantis threads a day isn't enough and every person who comes to this board has to start their very own special thread! :p It does make finding info about other things rather more difficult.

I happen to enjoy a stroll through the Straw Market. DD and I did a portion of the walking tour (see the very long "Free Excursion" thread) and enjoyed that (but she was 21). I think in December, we'll do the tour in a buggy and then head to a beach.

I think I'm one of the few people who goes to Nassau who has zero interest in Atlantis.

Good luck. There seem to be a lot of people who hate Nassau. I'm not sure why. The vendors outside the pier building can be pushy but all you have to do is say "No, thank you" and keep walking. It's really not that difficult. I'm looking foward to going back in December (for the 5th time).

Breezes is an All-Inclusive that is $60 pp on your own or $90ish thru the ship.

Nassau can get a bad rap as it is a TOURIST trap... but can be fun if you just go with the flow. People that are pushy don't get mad when you walk by without noticing them... there are 1000's behind you. Young children can have fun wandering around - just watch them very carefully as you are NOT in the US. What you would consider traffic rules may or may not be adhered to. Everything is up for sale... haggling is expected and most prices are at least 1/2 again higher than the real price. If you get scared in a crowd - take a tour with the ship. I have been to Nassau and Freeport quite a few times and always have a good time. I have friends on both islands and usually see them.

How did I get friends? I met people doing things - one was on the Yellowbird - and have stayed in touch.

The main thing to remember about Nassau is that you are not in the US, but the vast majority of people trying to sell you something are honest people and the last thing they want to happen is to have the cruise ships leave.

Bob

Hope that helps!

MamaParrotHead... what was scary about the Straw Market? We will be there in June and have a 4 year old. We were thinking about shopping the Straw Market. Is that not a good idea?

MamaParrotHead... what was scary about the Straw Market? We will be there in June and have a 4 year old. We were thinking about shopping the Straw Market. Is that not a good idea?

Well, and this is strictly my opinion, but the stalls are VERY close together and VERY crowded. The vendors are not real friendly and pretty pushy. And it's HOT...BEYOND uncomfortable. And when we were there, there was a woman screaming Bible scripture and screeching songs over a bullhorn. :eek:

My DH and DD (16 at the time) did one of Carnival's excursions for snorkeling while we were in Nassau and they LOVED it. The boat ride out was fun, they got to see Johnny Depp and Oprah's homes, they had good snorkeling (not Super) and got to hold a stingray. They had a great day. We walked the town, went to the museum, went to the fort and shopped--which was fun also. Nassau has a great history and we enjoyed it--it reminded us of New Orleans and since we're from the deep south, the history was pertinent and interesting to us.

Archived