Aft Cabin Fans - Which Are Better?

roe2ship

We LOVE aft cabins and are looking into the Radiance or Mariner. Being both ships are sloped in the back, is one better than the other as far as more privacy, larger and a better view of the wake? I believe deck 6 on Mariner should be avoided and some decks on Radiance are open to the Windjammer above. Is this correct? Any tips are appreciated. Thank you.

On Voyager class ships the aft balconies on decks 8 and 9 are open and sometimes get a thin layer of soot all over. This sticks to your shoes and feet, tho' you can wipe it off the chairs. Also, there are metal beams across all aft balconies partially obstructing the view. The aft balconies on decks 10, 7 and 6 are covered. On the Radiance class ships there are unobstructed views from all decks aft. And no soot. We've been on deck 7 and if was covered on Brilliance. I know deck 10 is covered. Not sure about the other decks.. There is no soot problem on Radiance class ships, however.

We were in 1100 (JS) on Radiance last week. Awesome corner balcony w/aft & port views. If you are at the rail & somebody is leaning over the Windjammer rail, they can see you, but there's plenty of privacy. Depending on the price difference, I would go with 9256 (D-1), which is directly below & has almost the same size balcony. The D-1's on Radiance are nice & roomy. No soot problems, & plenty of room for 4 in the cabin.

We just returned from the 09/12 sailing of the Mariner and had Cabin 1690.

That's on the 10th deck right next to the Aft Corner cabin (1688).

As far as the balconies are concerned, if you have one of the balconies below deck 10, people from the balconies above can look down on you so if you're doing something naughty you might be someone else's show :D Now this is really only the case if you are on the far side of the balcony. There is a little bit of an overhang on the balcony but it depends on exacty where in the aft is located as to where it is. We could see the whole balcony on the deck below.

That being said, we LOVED the outside balcony, and I don't really care if someone's looking down on me anyway. If that want to watch me snoring on a lounge chair because I'm so relaxed with the gentle rocking of the boat on my extral large balcony that's fine with me.:p

We had 4 in the room. My wife, twin 13 year old daughters and myself. We made a pact to keep our room picked up everyday before we left and we managed just fine. There only complaint was that the pull out bed wasn't that comfortable, but it's the same pullout bed we'd have had in a Junior Suite so that wouldn't have rectified that situation. After the 1st night, they were so bushed when they went to sleep it didn't really matter anyway.

I packed a power strip and an extension cord so that all 3 of my ladies would have access to a mirror and power. One could use the curling irons in the bathroom while using some of the other "doo dads" at the vanity. Kind of an "assembly line" situation. We actually kind of enjoyed all being together since it was a family vacation anyway.

The D1 cabins are Radiance class appear to be only dbl occupancy? So all the aft cabins on the Radiance class, if standing on the rail, are you seen from above?

All Mariner aft cabins have some obstructed views? It sounds like the Radiance class has better views back there.........am I right? TIA

the only thing you can see from the aft balconies on the radiance is the railing of the balcony below you. so if someone is standing at the railing, you'll see them - otherwise you can't see anything - except the wonderful unobstructed view. since having an aft cabin last year on the radiance, we won't book any other location..

We just returned from the 9/19 sailing on the Mariner, we had an aft balcony on deck 9, #9690 which is a corner balcony. It had no obstruction for the wake or the port side, you had to look through the metal beams if you wanted to see something to your left or starboard side of the ship.

The balcony is pie shaped, so this really cuts down on your balcony space on the one side, but the balcony is still a lot larger than a standard side balcony. We had 2 lounge chairs, 2 regular pool chairs and a small table.

We noticed a small amount of soot on the chairs and railing every morning, but it wasn't enough to ruin anything.

We did notice that from the Windjamer, you could see almost half the depth of our balcony, but as far as the other balconies it was very private.

We really enjoyed this room and would book it again.

Thanks, Jimbo. I did peek around the corner into 1102 & they had a sofa that looked just like ours, so I thought there was a sofa bed in there. But I see from the deck plan that there is no indication of one. Many of the non-aft D-1's show that there's a sofa bed or 3rd/4th bed available, though, so I would think that they hold 3-4 people. You just can't do it on the aft.

Thanks all for your responses. Leaning towards the Radiance ship, however I may not be able to choose that D1 aft :( as I realized the other cabin that I need for children triple inside (either cat M or L) appears to have quite of a distance to the D1 aft cabin. Is the front door entrance to the inside cabins on the starboard side? Are the radiance class ships that narrow.......enough to feel like they are small???:confused:

We had JS on deck 10 on our trip to alaska and you can been seen from the windjammer cafe. However there was a couple leaning over as the cruise started and we starting chatting with them. We invited them down and 2 bottles of wine later we were great friends. We have booked the GS cabin 1600 for our cruise on February 27th can't wait

Archived