Did HAL change the dress code???

Roboat

Roboat, every now and then it's possible that your particularly spectacular brand of humor (IMHO:D ) is lost on some. But trust it is never lost on me;) and I'm almost always here to enjoy it!
Thanks, babe. ;)

Please!!!!!...........I........can't .......talk,....I.........am ...............laughing......

...........so hard..............it hurts......."ventilated with salad forks".................

...........I need a drink of water....................before I choke........................

hehehehehehehehehehehehhhahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahaha

Is this activity free or do I need reservations ?

Believe that the rules and suggestions aren't for them? Believe that it's their duty to flaunt convention? Which belief are you standing up for?

And, just as a point of reference, in a 2 week cruise on a HAL ship I wear a tie more often than the other 50 weeks in the year combined.

Nope - my belief is real simple. no one should get upset or bent out of shape over how someone else dresses. Plain and simple.

if you are shallow and foolish enough to get upset over how another person dresses, you are saying a whole lot about yourself

Nope - my belief is real simple. no one should get upset or bent out of shape over how someone else dresses. Plain and simple.

if you are shallow and foolish enough to get upset over how another person dresses, you are saying a whole lot about yourself

Cool! BTW, thanks for inviting me to your daughter's formal graduation ceremony at Julliard. Will you be wearing your usual Mr. Potato Head outfit? I think I'll opt for just my cowboy chaps and a light coat of oil, since we'll be attending the opera afterward. :D

Cool! BTW, thanks for inviting me to your daughter's formal graduation ceremony at Julliard. Will you be wearing your usual Mr. Potato Head outfit? I think I'll opt for just my cowboy chaps and a light coat of oil, since we'll be attending the opera afterward. :D
Hmmm - Cowboy Chaps - how refreshing for you. And to think that I thought you would just pull out your well worn ***** costume again. glad to see your tastes have evolved :D

And you still refuse to see that it isn't a question of my caring how a person dresses. I don't. The activity I object to is flaunting conventions. Conventions are the things which make us civilized. Lose the conventions and you lose civilization. The conventions are something we agree to abide by. Different societies have different conventions and people should seek out those societies whoose conventions they are in accord with.

In terms of the convention (i.e., dress) we're discussing here, for example, I've never felt the need to wear a dinner jacket on any cruise ship on which I've sailed. If, however, I wanted to sail on a line which mandated black tie for dinner, then I would abide by that convention - or forego that cruise. Why is that so difficult for you to grasp?

-dave

And you still refuse to see that it isn't a question of my caring how a person dresses. I don't. The activity I object to is flaunting conventions. Conventions are the things which make us civilized. Lose the conventions and you lose civilization. The conventions are something we agree to abide by. Different societies have different conventions and people should seek out those societies whoose conventions they are in accord with.

In terms of the convention (i.e., dress) we're discussing here, for example, I've never felt the need to wear a dinner jacket on any cruise ship on which I've sailed. If, however, I wanted to sail on a line which mandated black tie for dinner, then I would abide by that convention - or forego that cruise. Why is that so difficult for you to grasp?

-dave

I've stayed out of this one for obvious reasons and it's been gone over so many times, but I just have to weigh in to applaud your response, Dave. It is so clear, so well said, and so on point that I can't imagine anyone having an argument with it.

But they will;) .

so on point that I can't imagine anyone having an argument with it.

But they will;) .

Well, not naming any names, but there are people who post here without ever giving positive advice or feedback but insist on jumping all over others. There are also some strongly opinionated folks who do help out their fellow cruisers with advice, suggestions and some research. We could use a lot more of the latter!

-dave

-dave

Hmmm - lets see - me not wearing a coat and tie on a cruise is gonna be the end of civilization . I'll have to think about that the next time I don't follow the suggested dress.

oh wait - by definition, if I already did this and civilization did not end - that ahhh, would mean you are wrong, wouldn't it. Yep.

I've stayed out of this one for obvious reasons and it's been gone over so many times, but I just have to weigh in to applaud your response, Dave. It is so clear, so well said, and so on point that I can't imagine anyone having an argument with it.

But they will;) .

Oh Dear Heather - are you no longer ignoring me now? ;)

Here's the problem, Superstein. I do have you on my "ignore" list...you and 2 others. As you know I didn't want to do that since I often enjoy your posts, but I really was getting upset by things you said and there's no point in that as I'm sure you'll agree.

Unfortunately, the "ignore" list does not stop posts from getting into my email notifications so from time to time I see them.

However, in this case I did not. But Dave quoted you so I saw that and I was reacting to Dave's response because I thought it was fantastic and succinct.

Hate to disappoint, but I can usually guess at what you've said:D . I'm a pretty smart kid and have gotten to know you pretty well, I think. I've known all along where you stand on dress code and truthfully I'm puzzled why you don't do the Windjammer cruises where you could actually go barefoot if you want like:) .

Believe that the rules and suggestions aren't for them? Believe that it's their duty to flaunt convention? Which belief are you standing up for?

And, just as a point of reference, in a 2 week cruise on a HAL ship I wear a tie more often than the other 50 weeks in the year combined.

No you have it wrong I have no duty to stand up to your small mindedness......and I am sure after seeing your picture that no one would dare insult you to your face. But I will. you are imposing your perceptions upon us. I will wear what I wear and not tell you what you should wear. Lets keep it that way.

I am with you there Riskmgr - although I am sure there are some yahoo's here who will respond with some insult toward your approach

Superstein ....Let them Quack and Hee Haw....we know what they are...I think you covered that already !

Well, not naming any names, but there are people who post here without ever giving positive advice or feedback but insist on jumping all over others. There are also some strongly opinionated folks who do help out their fellow cruisers with advice, suggestions and some research. We could use a lot more of the latter!

-dave

Why, you must be talking about yourself again!

OK...after all of these messages...have all of you forgotten WHY you are cruising? It's for the the enjoyment of the moment! (this IS vacation for most of us!) ...so if someone wants to show up on formal night in jeans...that's their perference. I'll be in a formal outfit. And if we are at the same table...I trust that we will have the same stimulating discussions we had on informal nights!

Cass

I was really surprised by the variety of clothes worn on the Ryndam Alaskan cruise Sept 24-29. Since it was our first cruise, I dragged my dear husband out to buy sports jacket and pants, ties, shirts, (already had a nice suit) and bought some fancy stuff for myself. Although the majority of people dressed up beautifully for the formal night, several came as though they were going hiking and all kinds of outfits showed up for the informal night. Perhaps they should call the informal night "semi-formal" because I don't think everyone understood that jeans weren't ok in the dining room.

Anyway, we had a ball dressing up - how many occasions are there in daily life that you can feel glamorous and special. I loved everything about the cruise and so did my husband. I think he even enjoyed dressing up!

I'm with you, dave.

We have learned that there are always some "free spirits" trying to make a statement (usually having acquired their unfortunate sense of style in Long Island, where gold pimp chains and pinky rigs are de rigeur) who decide that since they were not physically dragged from the dining room (screaming "Off the pigs!") on a formal evening ("and nobody said anything", etc.) they are dressed appropriately. They will whine that dress codes (and speed limit signs) are "suggestions" and carry no importance. Therefore they can dress in halter tops and sequined thongs if they want to. God only knows what the women wear.;)

In all fairness, I think most of the free world agrees that these people are evil and must be destroyed, but that's just my opinion.:)

I was going to stay out of this discussion, but frankly I am INSULTED by this post & your comment about people from Long Island..My DH & I were born, & raised on Long Island, N.Y...We lived & associated with very refined & honest people & do not dress in "gold pimp chains, sequined thongs" etc. as you seem to insinuate Long Islanders are apt to do..We also don't believe that "Speed Limits" are Suggestions either..

I retired from the the travel business after 35 years..We have travelled extensively, have been invited into private homes all over the world & attended many formal functions..In addition, we always try to adhere to the SUGGESTED dress code...However, we would not be offended if others look or dress differently than we do..Our vacation could never be ruined, because someone else chose not to dress as Suggested! We have much better things to do on Cruises without worrying about the next person!

I'm amazed that others on this thread did not comment or wonder about the person that would suggest "these people are evil & must be destroyed".. I'm inclined to believe that most people would consider your remarks as bigotry in it's worst form..That's what causes Wars!.

I have never been as insulted nor would I ever insult someone the way you have done..I was taught & am obliged to stand up to prejudice in any form..

Betty

so if someone wants to show up on formal night in jeans...that's their perference. I'll be in a formal outfit. And if we are at the same table...I trust that we will have the same stimulating discussions we had on informal nights!

Cass

What a refreshing attitude Cass !!! I'd be happy to dine with you anyday

IHowever, we would not be offended if others look or dress differently than we do..Our vacation could never be ruined, because someone else chose not to dress as Suggested! We have much better things to do on Cruises without worrying about the next person!

I'm amazed that others on this thread did not comment or wonder about the person that would suggest "these people are evil & must be destroyed".. I'm inclined to believe that most people would consider your remarks as bigotry in it's worst form..That's what causes Wars!.

I have never been as insulted nor would I ever insult someone the way you have done..I was taught & am obliged to stand up to prejudice in any form..

Betty

Well Said Betty !!!!!

I was going to let it drop. But then I though, nah, if I do then the terrorists would win. (That's sarcasm, folks).

I don't really care what anyone wears into the dining room. Come in nekkid with a flower on your, um, head for all I care.

What I do object to is people who feel they are above the rules and conventions. People who are arrogant enough to feel that they alone can chose when to conform and when not to. And, sorry Marc, I know you were also being sarcastic but they don't all live on Long Island. If only that were true!

So wear what you want into the dining room. Sit at my table. I won't snub you, I'll converse as if nothing is amiss. But when the Maitre d' asks you to leave, I'll stand up and cheer...

-dave

Betty

Betty, Roboat never meant to insult you. He has a very strange sense of humor ... one which is very sarcastic and also overexaggerated. I guess you kind of have to "know him" to love him;) . He never meant people were "evil & must be destroyed". It's sarcastic exaggeration.

The reason no one commented on his remarks was because most of those who've read Roboat's posts in the past know that this is his form of humor. While sarcasm always has a thread of truth running through it, I can promise you he never meant for you take what he said literally.

I was going to stay out of this discussion, but frankly I am INSULTED by this post & your comment about people from Long Island..My DH & I were born, & raised on Long Island, N.Y...We lived & associated with very refined & honest people & do not dress in "gold pimp chains, sequined thongs" etc. as you seem to insinuate Long Islanders are apt to do..We also don't believe that "Speed Limits" are Suggestions either..

I retired from the the travel business after 35 years..We have travelled extensively, have been invited into private homes all over the world & attended many formal functions..In addition, we always try to adhere to the SUGGESTED dress code...However, we would not be offended if others look or dress differently than we do..Our vacation could never be ruined, because someone else chose not to dress as Suggested! We have much better things to do on Cruises without worrying about the next person!

Betty

First of all, thank you Heather.

I'd really wanted to see what Riskmgr had to say, since my post was actually a once-removed response to his post. More about that later.

Betty, you gotta pay attention. Someone DID object to my comment that "these people are evil and must be destroyed," which prompted me, after a thorough examination of conscience, to amend the statement to "these people are evil and should be ventilated with salad forks." Yet I get no credit from you for showing benevolence.

Now, about Long Island... continued

In one's Daily Program all ambiguity is removed, however -- the word "required" is used.

I know what standard means. It would just be easier for passengers if HAL could get the wording the same everywhere--in a way that leaves no leeway for interpretation. Required would be my choice. And by the time passengers read required in the daily program, it's too late if they did not pack anything appropriate.

Of course, jacket is another ambiguous word. I know they mean sports coat and not windbreaker.

Archived