Did HAL change the dress code???

Roboat

Roboat, just to be on the safe side I thought it wise to point out that even though HAL only mentions wearing a jacket and tie, they also would prefer you put some form of attire on your lower half;) .

Just a word of caution so you're not embarrassed in the dining room:D .

:rolleyes: do they mention nothing for the ladies???

hmmm....

Sorry to be contrary, but I dont do ties, although on the over 40 cruises I have been on it has never been a problem. In fact the only place it appears to be of concern is on this HAL board ! I wear a suit with a silk tshirt for formal and informal

Sorry to be contrary, but I dont do ties, although on the over 40 cruises I have been on it has never been a problem. In fact the only place it appears to be of concern is on this HAL board ! I wear a suit with a silk tshirt for formal and informal

Hmmmm...........I'm not touching this one! Anyone else?:rolleyes:

I don't do ties either. I wear a sports jacket with a knit shirt and dockers. I have never had a problem either. I have seen plenty men without the jacket on those informal nights.

Formal nights I go with the tux.

Maybe it hasn't been a problem for you, but have you asked everyone else in the dining room? Or were they just too polite to insult you to your face?

I went shopping today to buy a jacket for our 14yo son who will be cruising with us this Saturday.

I can't find ANYTHING that will fit him. He's about a 36R. What are young men supposed to do?

We don't have time to drive all over the area looking for a jacket for him. He has a nice shirt and tie, and if hogtied will wear a sweater, but only in the winter and if it's really cold.

Are teenagers expected to follow the formal dress code? Can he get by with a white shirt and tie?

I hesitate to purchase formal wear for a growing teenager.:confused:

In this instance perhaps renting would be the answer - maybe less costly too!. Can't you even find a blazer? 36R is not that all offbeat.

We've seen 3 year olds in tux and bow tie - cute as buttons!

Hope everything works out for you and that you have a wonderful time!

:D

I'm just back from an Alaskan presentation at AAA. The Holland American representative stated that Alaskan cruises are very casual. She said that only 20% of the pax are decked out in gowns, cocktail dresses and tuxedos on formal nights. Most of the pax are wearing the type of dress they would wear to church. Also, she said that jeans are fine for the dining room during breakfast and lunch. She said think casual "especially in Alaska...your on vacation". This is not my first cruise, but it's the first with Holland American. I hope she's right, because I have to tell everyone else in our group what to expect and what to bring.

ladyteedriver - No doubt about it - Alaska cruises are less formal primarily because you do have to have some heavier clothing in case it's cold or wet and many people are also adding a land tour. However, it's nice to toss in that long skirt and a fancy top for the formal nights - the tux , your other half can do without it but, to compliment you, a dark business suit would be in order :)

I went shopping today to buy a jacket for our 14yo son who will be cruising with us this Saturday.

I can't find ANYTHING that will fit him. He's about a 36R. What are young men supposed to do?

Are teenagers expected to follow the formal dress code? Can he get by with a white shirt and tie?

Dear Jean&Gene,

From a mom who knows how hard it is to keep a suit on a teenage boy without them growing out of it in one week I understand!

Trust me, find him a suit, he will feel out of place without one, and that is the last thing a teenage boy wants to do!

I always take my boys to a mens clothing store and let the salesman and tailor deal with them. I have had two suits altered in three hours at one time before a cruise (youngest son had a growing spurt over a four month period)

My boys always wear dark suits on the cruises, use the suit pants with a dress shirt, tie and vest for informal night if they don't want to wear a jacket.

One cruise I didn't tell my boys about until the day we were flying to meet the ship. Two weeks before the cruise I took them suit shopping (again), my youngest son kept asking me who was dying because he was sure the dark suits were for a funeral. (I still laugh when I think about it)

Enjoy your cruise...I hope you have some luck finding a suit for your son and I hope he has a wonderful time.

CanSail

I am with you there Riskmgr - although I am sure there are some yahoo's here who will respond with some insult toward your approach

Roboat, just to be on the safe side I thought it wise to point out that even though HAL only mentions wearing a jacket and tie, they also would prefer you put some form of attire on your lower half;) .

Just a word of caution so you're not embarrassed in the dining room:D .

Great!!! Now I have to go out and buy the other half of the suit. I thought the salesman was just trying to pry some extra money out of me.:o

...Most of the pax are wearing the type of dress they would wear to church....
A word of advice: be real careful with this "would wear to church" part. I've looked around in church a lot and much of what I see there is not appropriate in the dining room or public areas in the evening. I see short-shorts, denim shorts, men in tank tops, etc. Yuck.

I think what is meant by this "in church" reference is more along the lines of dressed up back in the '50's.

is an insult to riskmgr and others who believe as he does

Believe that the rules and suggestions aren't for them? Believe that it's their duty to flaunt convention? Which belief are you standing up for?

And, just as a point of reference, in a 2 week cruise on a HAL ship I wear a tie more often than the other 50 weeks in the year combined.

This isn't ancient history, but quoting from Volendam's Daily program for ...

Thursday, November 9, 2000:

Tonight's Dress Informal:

For Ladies, dresses or blouses and slacks are suggested. For men, jackets required, ties optional.

We may be about to book our first HAL cruise. I love formal nights and will carry my tuxedo for them. I don't look forward to informal nights and hate having to pack a sports coat. On the HAL website, it says, "During informal nights, dresses or pantsuits for women and jackets (tie optional) for men are standard." I wish they could get the wording standard. The meaning of standard isn't exactly the same as the meaning of required.

Maybe it hasn't been a problem for you, but have you asked everyone else in the dining room? Or were they just too polite to insult you to your face?

I'm with you, dave.

We have learned that there are always some "free spirits" trying to make a statement (usually having acquired their unfortunate sense of style in Long Island, where gold pimp chains and pinky rigs are de rigeur) who decide that since they were not physically dragged from the dining room (screaming "Off the pigs!") on a formal evening ("and nobody said anything", etc.) they are dressed appropriately. They will whine that dress codes (and speed limit signs) are "suggestions" and carry no importance. Therefore they can dress in halter tops and sequined thongs if they want to. God only knows what the women wear.;)

In all fairness, I think most of the free world agrees that these people are evil and must be destroyed, but that's just my opinion.:)

On the HAL website, it says, "During informal nights, dresses or pantsuits for women and jackets (tie optional) for men are standard." I wish they could get the wording standard. The meaning of standard isn't exactly the same as the meaning of required.

Did your mother never tell you to "keep the standards up?" Mine did, and by that she didn't mean that I had any choice in the matter. According to Mr. Websters, when used as an adjective (which is how HAL is using it), it means:

Serving as or conforming to a standard of measurement or value.

Widely recognized or employed as a model of authority or excellence: a standard reference work.

Acceptable but of less than top quality: a standard grade of beef.

Normal, familiar, or usual: the standard excuse.

Commonly used or supplied: standard car equipment.

In one's Daily Program all ambiguity is removed, however -- the word "required" is used. And, at least on the Zaandam this cruise, they MEAN IT. Now, were men dressed without a tie on Formal Night? I saw a few. Christopher was dressed in Nerhu Tux, which is not designed to be worn with a tie ... but he was highly FORMAL with a placket-front shirt and a neck button of gold and diamond. He looked VERY formal. So, it is POSSIBLE -- when wearing a modern tux -- to go without a tie but WITH a closed neck collar.

Go back and read what happened to that one fellow who came to dinner on formal night in casual clothing. Had he come in a dark suit and fashionable silk shirt, I suspect nothing would have been said to him ... he would have been viewed as sufficiently innocuous to not be disruptive to the code.

zaanreport.jpg

Originally Posted by Roboat

In all fairness, I think most of the free world agrees that these people are evil and must be destroyed, but that's just my opinion.:)

Roboat

wow :eek:

Yeah, "destroyed" is probably a little harsh. I shoulda said "ventilated with salad forks by the other diners." :p

Originally Posted by Roboat

Yeah, "destroyed" is probably a little harsh. I shoulda said "ventilated with salad forks by the other diners." :p

Roboat, every now and then it's possible that your particularly spectacular brand of humor (IMHO:D ) is lost on some. But trust it is never lost on me;) and I'm almost always here to enjoy it!

Archived