Galaxy get the ax ?!?!

bububr

Its odd for me to think about what they are doing for the cost. In my world what they are doing would cost infinitely many times more. Its a great value for the spend, and for the passengers who sail following the work and improvements, it will be a good time for as long as it lasts.

What they say they are spending and what they actually spend are two different things. Traditionally they factor lost revenue for the two week period into their cost which can be significant.

The only real reason for a drydock now is to clean and repaint the bottom and replace the lounge windows. All other work could be done while in service or at a wet dock.

If Celebrity/RCCL don't want smaller sized ships, why did they bring out the Azamara line? Why don't they convert Mercury and Galaxy into the Azamara line? Just a thought.

Azamara is a lot more than Celebrity, i thought? Galaxy would likely make sense to keep if you could charge Azamara prices.

RCL had to guarantee a minor refurb of Sovereign before they could sell her. Thy will be removing RCL signature items during that...

Our first cruise was on the Mercury and she has remained our favorite ship. I wish X would use her for cruises to the Mexican Riviera again. That was a wonderful itenerary.

I agree!!! I had a blast on my six cruises on Mercury to the Mexican Riviera between January 2004 and March 2007. She is my "home away from home"! I was disappointed when Celebrity discontinued the Mexican Reiviera itinerary. This year to the Mexican Riviera I will be on Ryndam, during her repositioning cruise to Vancouver (my home), but it won't be the same as on Mercury.

Donald.

C2C said:

The Eurozone will find cruising much cheaper because of the depreciated dollar and Celebrity wants to develop this growing market.

Don't forget the actual cruise price is paid in local currency, not in US$. For our two Mediterranean cruises on Galaxy we paid in GB Pounds - quite a lot of GB Pounds actually! (>£1000 per person in 2006 cruise-only, around £1350 per person in 2007 inc. flights from the UK, for a cat 5 outside cabin.) Traditionally cruises are expensive in Europe. My target is to get as close to £100 per person per day for an outside cabin; at current exchange rates that's $200 per person per day. Cruise-only, as well....

Once we get on board an american-company ship then the picture changes - we pay on-board costs in US$ like everyone else, and that's been nice the last couple of years. But the higher per diems mean that it's likely that Galaxy can raise more revenue being marketed to europeans than to americans.

I think that the German built ships without the specialty restaurants... Mercury and Galaxy are going to Germany:

Not quite clear what you mean here? I know about the TUI joint-venture, which has recently obtained regulatory approval.

posted by caviargal:

as Richard Fain told us - a large group of TAs - it is all about economies of scale. It is cheaper to operate a fleet of large ships that require less staff for more people and have more revenue generating outlets ala Voyager and Freedom and Freedom class, than to operate smaller ships that require more staff and hold fewer passengers.

It would not be a surprise at all to see X get rid of the smaller ships. Just as RCI has no plans to build additional Radiance class ships - some of the most beautiful ships out there IMO and with a legion of fans, much like M class - X is not likely to invest in the smaller, older ships which would have to compete against the monster ships in the Caribbean.

Sad but true.

yes, really sad. This is just what I don't want or need on a vacation. I juggle crowds 5 days a week, line up for lunch, strategically position myself for a seat on the subway, etc. The last thing I want on vacation is to do the same thing or find myself hiding from this on a balcony (what's the point). That's why I loved the Zenith with all it's open space, outside acess on almost every deck, sitting and having breakfast outside staring at the wake. Wrapped in pool towels sitting and having a drink with people I actually got to know :) Granted she was in dire need of refurbishing, but I loved that small community feel. Coming into Hamilton on Monday and being the only ship in port so that Horseshoe was not overrun the way it was when the bigger ships started docking at the wharf.

I tried one of the voyager class ships and I couldn't get back to the Zenith fast enough. I tried another line -- ran back to Celebrity. Where do I run to now?

Now I just feel like Celebrity is turning into every other mass produced floating white blob out there -- seriously no more distinguishing BLUE STRIPE!!!!:eek:

I guess I should just be grateful for what I had; but unfortunately the way things are going, I'm not likely to be cruising on any of the major lines in the near future. Sad....miserably sad.

What they say they are spending and what they actually spend are two different things. Traditionally they factor lost revenue for the two week period into their cost which can be significant.

The only real reason for a drydock now is to clean and repaint the bottom and replace the lounge windows. All other work could be done while in service or at a wet dock.

I believe the scope of work is other than the two items you indicated.

What a shame if they do!!! We just came off the Galaxy in December and love the "smaller" ships...Except for a few of the upscale lines everything is being ordered for mega-ships.. The Equinox is booking ike crazy for their first trans-atlantic (we are on it). The problem with many of the bigger ships is that that many of the East Coast ports (except for Florida) cannot handle them yet.. Here in Boston we will have the NCL Dream and next year the

Spirit...Bermuda and St. George cannot handle these ships so they will be going to the ...echnh Dockyard..

I believe the scope of work is other than the two items you indicated.

They would be crazy to not replace the "windows of obscurity" although it wouldn't really surprise me since they have been clouded for six years now.

Every ship going into drydock has its hull scraped and re-painted. That is a fact of life with every single ocean vessel. Every other modification could be performed in a wet dock.

That's why I loved the Zenith with all it's open space, outside acess on almost every deck, sitting and having breakfast outside

And after 4 two week voyages on Zenith over the years what I remember was the low ceilings in the dining room, the lack of space between chairs where waiters could barely squeeze by, the long lines ups in the buffet because of the poor traffic flow. In the small ship department I liked HAL way better.

Strangely I found the buffet station set up on Voyager better than on any Celebrity ship. The big problem with mega ships is getting on or off when everyone else wants to do the same at the same time.

I have never seen the excitement or anticipation to a ship as we are presently experiencing on Equinox TA for November 2009. To me it's no longer the ship but the people we cruise with, be it staff or fellow cruisers, that will determine our satisfaction with a cruise.

Good morning:)

There are many subjects I agree with your thoughts on.....

this is one I disagree on.

I only sailed Zenith twice and as much as I LOVE the C-class,

I must admit Zenith blew me away. The crew and staff aboard

her were the best I had experienced (I know you have way more

cruises than most). But I really remember thinking how wonderful

everyone who worked on that ship made me feel.

Yes, its the people and for some of us, the size is part of that

feeling....that small ship was intimate and personally, I LOVED it.:)

As for these new ships, its nice your excited about them, along

with all the other folks too. Not taking anything away from it.

Different strokes for different folks:)

They are only putting less than 5Million into the ship and that actually makes sense. They need the ship for a year or so until the Solstice ships start to roll out and then one of the rumors will come true. Remember, they spent over 50 m on the Century and less than 5 M on Galaxy. I think the most telling thing was no Specialty restaurants on either ship....That's when I first thought they were both going...

The large amount spent on the Century was to add balconies. The Century was a different than the other C-class ships in that it had very few balconies. They corrected that problem when they did the Galaxy and Mercury build which is why those two ships were a little larger. However as you stated, the fact that they are not adding a specialty restaurant is not a good sign.

The large amount spent on the Century was to add balconies. The Century was a different than the other C-class ships in that it had very few balconies. They corrected that problem when they did the Galaxy and Mercury build which is why those two ships were a little larger. However as you stated, the fact that they are not adding a specialty restaurant is not a good sign.

After we sailed on Galaxy in the spring of 2006 I concluded that this was a poor example of "Celebrity" luxury cruising and I posted a number of negative posts about her condition.

When I was on Century last May, we were told by senior staff that Galaxy would get a specialty restaurant, a new sunset bar and revised covered pool area. All those expensive plans were reduced to "window dressing." We sail on Galaxy again next month, probably for the last time.

The TUI press release states the line will start sailing Spring 2009 with one existing ship...

Mercury's current schedule ends in Fort Lauderdale on April 13, and Galaxy's current schedule ends in Fort Lauderdale on April 24. So which one will go to TUI?

Floris

The TUI press release states the line will start sailing Spring 2009 with one existing ship...

Mercury's current schedule ends in Fort Lauderdale on April 13, and Galaxy's current schedule ends in Fort Lauderdale on April 24. So which one will go to TUI?

Floris

It should be Galaxy, Mercury will be doing Alaska and it's coastal cruises October 12 2009

It should be Galaxy, Mercury will be doing Alaska and it's coastal cruises October 12 2009

Hi Rick!

I don't see any cruises scheduled for Mercury beyond April '09. Someone else mentioned a Mercury 14 nighter rt from LA on 4/29/09. Where is this coming from?

I haven't seen the schedules yet and I don't have confirmation of Alaska, but I have seen the dates for the 3&4 night (September 21 - October 9)Pacific Northwest and an 11 night wine cruise(Oct 12), which was open for booking, but I have not see ports for those or anything for Alaska. But knowing there is a schedule for for Sept & October in that part of the country, it's safe to say Alaska will be there too.

A year ago, this wouldn't have phased me since I didn't really think the smaller ships would be that great. But now after my Century cruise, I'm convinced that these ships are the perfect size!

I loved Century just as much as the Caribbean Princess. Maybe even a little more. I still love the big ships, though. We'll be on Solstice next!

My best bet is that these ships will will either go to TUI or Island Cruises. Maybe they'll meet up again with Zenith because I think Island Cruises is probably ready to expand.

We've just gotten off the Celebrity Galaxy in December, did the Celebrity Century, NCL Majesty and I'm convinced I really prefer the smaller ships.. Now, that said.. we are due to sail on the Constellation trans/atlantic in September and perhaps we will be sorry but we booked the Equinox t/a for 11/09... The problem seems to be that the small ships like the Oceania and the Azamaria are a bit upscale for us old retired people.. Almost booked the Dream, but we have been to Bermuda more than a dozen times and I just love, love, love.. west to eat trans-atlantics..

Maybe I'm crazy, but I really didn't notice a big difference in size between Mercury and Summit. If anything, Mercury probably had MORE crowds because of the way the lower level of the dining room opens onto the tiny Champagne bar, and then dead ends with no egress...

I got this press information yesterday that sounds a bit more than rumors.

TUI Cruises will start business with it´s first ship (Ex Galaxy) in May 2009.

German based Maritime Trade Press reliable newspaper THB published an information that Galaxy will start her last cruise for Celebrity April 18, 2009 before she will sail to an European dockyard for refurbishment.

http://www.thb.info/search/news/article/219/galaxy_faehrt_ab_2009_fuer_neue_tui_cruises.html

(German language)

P.

Celebrity Cruises to Give Celebrity Galaxy "Star Treatment"

Miami - (March 05, 2008 ) - Celebrity Cruises, known for providing "star treatment" to its guests, plans to offer star treatment to one of its ships. Celebrity Galaxy will undergo an approximately $4-million makeover during its scheduled drydock in Freeport, Bahamas, from April 18 through May 2. During that time:

The ship's two-level main dining room will be completely refurbished, with new, contemporary carpeting, reupholstered and newly varnished chairs, new waiter stations, and entirely new floor-to-ceiling columns.

The adjacent RendezVous Lounge will be enhanced with entirely new upholstery, as will the Martini Bar, one of the Celebrity brand's most popular signature spaces.

Not to be upstaged, the Celebrity Theater will be completely refurbished, with new carpeting and upholstery throughout.

The casual dining and buffet areas will be entirely revitalized, with new chairs, carpeting, upholstery and lighting

.The neighboring pool deck area will be made even more inviting, with new teak bolidt decking, and striking new glass tiles surrounding the pool.

The retail area also will be enhanced, with entirely refurbished jewelry boutiques and brighter, more contemporary new product-display areas throughout.

The Stratosphere Lounge - an observation area by day and dance club by night - will feature entirely new carpets and lounge seating upholstery.

Contemporary new carpeting will be laid in 250 staterooms, and new sinks and new upholstery will complement the same work that already has been completed in the balance of the ship’s staterooms.

Additionally, Celebrity Galaxy's Michael's Club jazz/piano bar - a Celebrity signature favorite across the fleet - already has been entirely refurbished.

Celebrity Cruises offers comfortably sophisticated, upscale cruise experiences with highly personalized service, exceptional dining, and extraordinary attention to detail. Celebrity sails in Alaska, Australia/New Zealand, California, Canada/New England, the Caribbean, Europe, Galapagos Islands, Hawaii, the Pacific Coast, Panama Canal and South America.

The line also offers unique land-tour vacations in Alaska, Canada, Europe and Australia through its cruisetour affiliate. Noted for "The Top Cruise Ships in the World," as voted by the readers of Conde' Nast Traveler (February 2008 readers’ poll), Celebrity's current fleet will be joined by Celebrity Solstice in 2008, Celebrity Equinox in 2009, Celebrity Eclipse in 2010, and a fourth Solstice-class ship in 2011.

For more information, call your travel agent, dial 1-800-437-3111 or visit Celebrity Cruises website. And for more information about Celebrity Solstice, visit Cruise Celebrity Solstice.

Archived