Galaxy get the ax ?!?!

bububr

Now they are having a press release from Germany but still

nothing from Royal:rolleyes:

So everyone who is sailing her from May 3rd, 2008 through

April 18th, 2009 will be like sailing a new ship.

Now they are having a press release from Germany but still

nothing from Royal:rolleyes:

So everyone who is sailing her from May 3rd, 2008 through

April 18th, 2009 will be like sailing a new ship.

Hi Lois:

What do you expect they stll haven't announced the fifth ship and its still on Meyer Werft web site. The enhancements are really nothing as was mentioned earlier in the thread. They amount to 4.1million dollars as opposed to the Century's 55million so I wouldn't expect much more than a nice window dressing.

From what is posted here, Galaxy has been getting improvements while sailing for quite some time. Regardless, whether it's $4M or $10M vs $55M in refurbishment, we've booked her for New Years and are quite looking forward to our voyage. It will be nice to sail on a ship of her size in an era where the average mainstream newbuild is nearly two-thirds larger.

I guess that the only way Celebrity wants to expand is by increasing the number of berths, not the number of ships. They had 9 ships with Horizon & Zenith (not counting Expedtion), then 8 ships, now 7 ships. They'll still only have 7 with the addition of Solstice & subtraction of Galaxy. I'm sure that when Equinox comes on line, Mercury will be history as well, so they'll still only have 7 ships. I guess there won't be many new destinations on tap, let alone a better presence in the Caribbean.

I just don't get it.

German based Maritime Trade Press reliable newspaper THB published an information that Galaxy will start her last cruise for Celebrity April 18, 2009 before she will sail to an European dockyard for refurbishment.

Hmm, that date doesn't look right. Even if the rest of the info is correct, I don't think April 18, 2009 is the correct date. On X's website, the last sailing of Galaxy listed there begins on April 13, 2009 (11-night Carib). So how can the last cruise start on April 18? Perhaps the author of the article has mistakenly confused dates with April 18 of this year, when Galaxy goes for refurbish before the TA?????

I'm loathe to spread word-of-mouth news because a lot of info provided by the ships' staff doesn't always pan out, but I just got off the Mercury and, at the Senior Officers Party, one of the officers informed me that the Galaxy had been sold to the German cruise line, TUI, and that she will move to her new owner at the conclusion of its forthcoming tour of Europe. I asked about Mercury to which, he said there was no word on her future status at this time. This info corroborates the press release that was included in an earlier posting.

I'm loathe to spread word-of-mouth news because a lot of info provided by the ships' staff doesn't always pan out, but I just got off the Mercury and, at the Senior Officers Party, one of the officers informed me that the Galaxy had been sold to the German cruise line, TUI, and that she will move to her new owner at the conclusion of its forthcoming tour of Europe. I asked about Mercury to which, he said there was no word on her future status at this time. This info corroborates the press release that was included in an earlier posting.

As your point implies, this is much like the 'telephone game' -- the message often gets dilluted and convolluted along the way. I'm certainly hoping this to be the case here, as Celebrity have been taking bookings for an entire winter season in the Caribbean, including ours. Far more likely that the handover to TUI, if this is in fact what will occur, would take place around April 2009. Of course it is entirely speculation on our part barring any official announcement from RCCL.

Never got to sail on Galaxy but having been on Mercury twice and Century twice (post-refurb) I think Mercury is the superior ship --much better layout & it still has the T pool-- They only re-did some areas on Century & left the rest--could have used a whole re-do of the pool area...& the layout which is awkward in places had to remain the same. We did have a great cruise both times but will now move on to Solstice (a biggie ) & back to M class if the pods are repaired...

Hope the crowds getting on & off are not too bad--esp in European ports where most people follow the same schedule. Have looked at Azamara but most of the cruises are too long & expensive...

Archived