I need some opinions

hunterJay

I'm booked on Carnival Victory 06/14 out of NYC (to Canada). I've never been on a cruise before but my wife has. I know she'd rather go someplace warm, but she said this was fine. There's a NCL ship going to the Carribean that week that will cost about $1k more (we have a 4 y.o. daughter we'll be taking as well). So my question is what should I do? Carnival is cheaper but it's getting some pretty nice reviews; NCL is more expensive, but a longer cruise but the reviews aren't always as good (and it seems harder to sneak on alcohol on NCL). Any suggestions? I have until 04/15/08 to make up my mind (will the NCL cruise drop in price by then)?

Thanks,

HJ

Have you checked out the Carnival Miracle out of NY? I sailed on that ship last year and had a fabulous time. The service is excellent. It is an 8 night cruise and it goes to San Juan, St. Thomas, and Tortola with 4 sea days. I think your little one would also prefer a beach vacation. :D

I'm booked on Carnival Victory 06/14 out of NYC (to Canada). I've never been on a cruise before but my wife has. I know she'd rather go someplace warm, but she said this was fine. There's a NCL ship going to the Carribean that week that will cost about $1k more (we have a 4 y.o. daughter we'll be taking as well). So my question is what should I do? Carnival is cheaper but it's getting some pretty nice reviews; NCL is more expensive, but a longer cruise but the reviews aren't always as good (and it seems harder to sneak on alcohol on NCL). Any suggestions? I have until 04/15/08 to make up my mind (will the NCL cruise drop in price by then)?

These are 2 completely different itineraries so its hard to compare equally. First, you have to decide for yourself whether you want to spend the extra money to go someplace warm.

You didn't say what ship you were considering? Though the NCL ship is more expensive, you did say it was a longer cruise. As for the reviews, I take reviews with a grain of salt. Personally, NCL is my favorite line because of the freestyle dining, which is the main difference between NCL and Carnival, RCI, etc. They will all offer the chance to have a great time. If you read the Carnival, RCI and other boards, you'll always find bad reviews there also. I would have missed some of my most memorable sailings if I listened to others and not decided for myself.

Again, you didn't say which ship you are considering. The older ships, the Majesty and the Dream, tend to get bad raps because people expect the bells and whistles of the newer and bigger ships specifically built for freestyle. And these ships have their charm, but the bells and whistles just aren't there.

All of the other ships I have read both good and bad, then again, I can say the same for Carnival, RCI, Princess ships etc. NCL tends to get bad reviews sometimes because people find they don't like freestyle dining and want the 'traditional' of the same waiter every night etc. The dining style tends to be a love/hate thing. For me personally, it's always my first choice and preference if I'm trying to decide between cruises.

Just wanted to say that on the NCL board recently I've read some reviews of cruisers who didn't think they'd ever cruise on NCL, for some reason, had an aversion to it. But took their first cruise and surprised to find themselves now an NCL cruise fan. They too put credence into bad reviews they'd read.

As for alcohol, NCL does make it easy in offering a bar set up in your room. And I'm not encouraging it or going to comment on whether you should or shouldn't and turn this thread into an 'alcohol' thread, but if you decide to bring something onboard there are many threads on this. If they confiscate alcohol it will be returned to you on the last night of the cruise. And wine will incur a $15 corkage fee.

As for the price dropping, you didn't say when you were looking to cruise. Summer prices tend to be high and stay high due to its a busy season. The fall is a good time to book since the prices are lower and ships less crowded. You tend to get more bargains in the fall sailings.

Hope that helped.:)

Unfortunately, this week (06/14/08 - 06/22/08) is the only week we can both get off, so there's only the 2 options (or the RCL cruise to Bermuda - but that one is even more expensive).

We have no plans on what to do in Canada (if we stick with that one). My daughter is pretty easy going, as long as she can have a soda she's happy. I'm more of a walk around and see what's up instead of preplanned excursions type of guy (aka cheap) - but they're both definitely beach girls. Thanks for the replies everyone.

Oh, ships would either be Carnival Victory or NCL Spirit.

Victory is a 5 night isn't it? I'm guessing the other option is NCL Dawn 7 night Bermuda.

When comparing prices, compare the per diem cost. If the 5 night is say $3000 and the 7 night is $4000 then its less expensive per day for the cruise, $600 vs. $572.

I'm a "warmer is better" person also.

Charlie

I like a warmer cruise also. My husband would love to go on a cruise to Alaska but I just have no desire. I know it's beautiful up there, but the when I think of cruising, I think of warm weather and tropical places. :p

Unfortunately, this week (06/14/08 - 06/22/08) is the only week we can both get off, so there's only the 2 options (or the RCL cruise to Bermuda - but that one is even more expensive).

We have no plans on what to do in Canada (if we stick with that one). My daughter is pretty easy going, as long as she can have a soda she's happy. I'm more of a walk around and see what's up instead of preplanned excursions type of guy (aka cheap) - but they're both definitely beach girls. Thanks for the replies everyone.

I just returned from my first NCL cruise and it was to the W. Caribbean. We had a wonderful tme and love NCL. So I would take all reviews, good and bad, into consideration, but in the end would make my own decison. You are going to hear good and bad about all cruise lines and I pesonally feel that itinerary and price should be the way you decide, not the cruise line.

Regarding Canada/NE vs Bermuda, I think that your family will enjoy Bermuda much more. I've read many of the threads about Canada/NE as I just booked that cruise for this fall, and from what I've read, there are very few children on board. One post said that there were over 2000 on their Canada/New England cruise in Sept and only 8 children. You will probably have more then that if you are going in June, but I really don't think that this is a cruise that a lot of families go on. So if your daughter would like to meet other kids, do kids club activities etc, I think she will be disappointed in Canada/NE cruises.

And finally, if she and your wife are "beach people" they will love Bermuda. Beaches in NE are almost non existant due to the rocky coast line and in June, the water will still be very cold.

If you can swing it in any way financially, I would recommend Bermuda.

been on 5 carnival cruises, 1 RC and one celebrity

loved carnival the best , book your own air fare much cheaper that way

booked 8=24=08 extended balcony for the 2 of us for 1900 , air fare was 240 a pereson

westen trip flying out of boston

good luck

I looked and it seems to be a 4 or 5 night Carnival Victory vs. 8 night Spirit?

It sounds as if you're trying to talk yourself into the Caribbean. Personally, if it were me it wouldn't be a choice, I'd always go for the longer :D . I have read good reveiws of the Spirit so you should have no worries. I haven't specifically been on the Carnival threads but I'm sure there are good reveiws for the Victory also, so there should be no worries.

You have to decide for yourself what fits your budget better. I'm sure you'll enjoy either one.:)

I'd go for a longer cruise but I'm not one that thinks vacations always have to be somewhere warm. If you really want to do the Canadian itinerary, Do It. I want to do that one myself. I'm sure it's beautiful!

If the wife says it's fine and this is the one you want, Keep It, Do It, you can always make your next trip WAY SOUTH!

Our family briefly considered the Victory cruise to Canada last summer, but after reading about the itinerary opted not to go.

My biggest concern was the unpredictability of the weather. It can be cool...too cool to sit by the pool. This would have been a big disappointment to my kids. It can be VERY foggy. Of course, the weather can be perfect, too.

We just ultimately felt our chances for good weather were better going south to the Caribbean.

I am booked on the Victory for 08-23-2008 but it is just my mother and myself. My hubby wants to take this trip as a Fall Foliage cruise one of these days.

My 1st cruise was with my kids on Carnival Fascination out of Miami to Key West and Cozumel. It was the best 1st cruise with kids.

I agree that warmer beach might be better for kids. Remember that you child is only 4. My youngest son was 9 when he went and I could not get him out of Camp Carnival. He was having too much fun. There also were alot of kids. My oldest was 14 and he met other kids on the cruise who he hung with. Left a lot of quiet, quality time for hubby and me. Only rule we had was dinner together every night.

Halifax and St John might not have the appeal to younger children. I don't hink I would have taken my kids at a young age. Now that they are older I would consider it.

Next cruise will be a family reunion cruise to a warm location out of NY if possible. Hoping for a 2010 7 day or longer cruise.

Good luck!

I've never cruised before so can't speak to which itinerary/ship would be better but here are my 2 cents. If you can swing the cost, and unless there is something specific you want to do in Canada/NE during that time frame, I would take the caribbean trip because you said wife & dtr are more beach people(and if they are bored/cranky/unhappy etc how much fun will you

have?). I am sure you will be able to find stuff to "explore" in whatever ports you visit so that would make it nice for everyone (except the $$ part) Also, since you live in CT, why not drive to Canada/NE for a trip sometime? (This is what my hubby proposed when I suggested we do a NE cruise) Good Luck in deciding.

As someone else said, if mama isn't happy no one is !;) You said that the girls were "beach girls" and the Canadian cruise is by no means a beach cruise. Possible to get warm weather in June to enjoy the pools on the ship but equally possible to still be on the cool side. Although if it is cool they will keep the cover closed over the aft Siren's pool /bar area so that pool would be swimable but remember everyone wanting to swim will be in that pool and its NOT a large pool or area and you may be fine with it but I would not be. Only warm weather in the Caribbean that time of year unless something terribly strange were to happen. There tends to be more bad reviews for ships sailing that itinerary then when the same ship is sailing a Caribbean itinerary but I suspect that is because they are two entirely different cruise experiences and people don't tend to adjust their expectations for the itineary and what is likely to occur on each. Your four year old is not likely to especially enjoy any of the ports on the Canadian cruise (not to say that she couldn't be ok) but if she enjoys the beach she will enjoy some of the port time on the other one if you spend time at beaches.

Most sailing out of NYC sell well, as there aren't a lot of them, so don't expect much in price drops if any, especially for the summer season. Other weeks may or may not be less expensive so be sure you've looked at that if it is a possiblity for you.

I would only do the Canadian itinerary if it was the itinerary I was specifically looking to do and wanted to visit those ports understanding that the possiblity existed for cool weather and lots of fog.

Good luck and I hope you enjoy what ever you decide to do !:)

The Victory was getting really bad reviews on that itinerary last year.

It seems the crew members were not even happy with that itinerary.

You would be better off with NCL.......

I normally stay away from criticizing cruise lines (as my above post proves) but I have to say that I agree with this.

When doing research for our upcoming Canada/NE cruise, I read all of the reviews I could find as I was considering the Victory. While I usually take reviews with a grain of salt, I was surprised at the amount of negative reviews. I could hardly find a positive one. This is really not the norm and I have to say it concerned me. Was also considering the NCL Spirit 6 day to Canada/NE and reviews were much better.

As I said, I usually don't pay too much attention to reviews and want to form my own opinion, but all of the negative reviews about the Victory did raise a flag with me. It was just way to many with little positive ones to counter.

I took everyone's advice and cancelled the Carnival Victory cruise and we'll be on the NCL Spirit 06/14/08 (they had a pretty good rate for a balcony over the weekend so I jumped). It was more of what the girls wanted (warmth) so we went for it.

Thanks everyone.

I took everyone's advice and cancelled the Carnival Victory cruise and we'll be on the NCL Spirit 06/14/08 (they had a pretty good rate for a balcony over the weekend so I jumped). It was more of what the girls wanted (warmth) so we went for it.Thanks everyone.
Good choice, IMHO. If you'd stuck with the Northern route you might have found the cabin a little chilly also:p

Charlie

Archived