Food habits

Buddy L

OK, cruising food question!!

I always try to eat something I've never tried before, on any holiday, but what about everyone else?

I would expect on a cruise most people would try something new but are there people who stick rigidly to what they know and like.

I know somebody who goes to an Italian with his family and never eats Italian. They always serve him fish and chips because thats what he likes...and he pays well.

So, try something new or stick to what you know?

My FIL is "if I haven't tried it before, I don't like it". He just seems to like plain basic cooking. He has just recently just started to try pasta. I think that is something to do with his new wife encouraging him to try something new.

I love to try new things. Sometimes my husband and I will split something to see if we like it. We have found some things we don't care for, but many more we like. If you don't like it, don't eat it. The beauty of the cruise is you are eating food that's already been paid for and you can ask for something else.

Robin

Carnival Destiny 11/05

Carnival Pride 9/02

Regent Sea 3/90

Pacific Princess 3/88

Definitely try something new! It's "free" so to speak, and if you don't like it, you can return it for something else.

I tried frogs legs for the first time (didn't like them.......but that also could have been due to the rough seas) after one bite, I thought they were going to hop right out of my mouth! ;)

Never got around to trying the cold soups, but that is on the top of my "to do" list for my next cruise!

I LOVE to try new things. Unfortunately, I didn't get the chance to eat many ethnic foods while cruising the Carribean. My fiance and his family invited me to go, and his family (with the exception of fiance) stricly sticks to what they know when it comes to food. We sailed to Key West, Cozumel, Grand Cayman, and Castaway Cay. His family preferred that we all ate together as a group (there were 12 of us) when we ate lunch and dinner at the ports. Since they were kind enough to invite me and pay for me to go, I happily obliged. We ate at two Hard Rocks (Grand Cayman and Cozumel) and a little Bar and Grille in Key West that was nothing special. I was hopping to get a chance to grab some snacks here and there to experience the local cuisine, but we ended up being so busy trying to see as much of the ports as possible in the time allotted that we didn't get much of a chance to do so. The cruise was still a fantastic experience, and if I ever get a chance to go back I'd love to try more foods. Some consolation for this came when a Jamaican restaurant serving authentic Carribean cuisine opened up down the street from me, he he he.

At home, it's all about getting everyone fed and convenience. When I'm cruising, I can usually find something on the menu every night that I have never eaten. I figure it's the best time to try new food because if I don't like it, I didn't "pay" for it and can ask for something else. Unless you have dietary restrictions, you'd be nuts to pass up such an opportunity!:)

I like to try new things, so I ask DH to get some and then I take a bite just to see if it's any good. He likes a lot of things that are strange to me, such as liver and escargot, raw oysters, etc., but I like to eat more simply, avoiding fried food, beef and rich desserts. Bring on the veggies, fruits and fish!

Slinkie

I seldom find new foods on a cruise other than in port. I am a long time eater of things like frogs legs, calimari and escargot. However, if its small than I am and/or slower just bring it on. I will try anything. If I don't like it that always availabe menu, steak is pretty good (I limit red meat to 2x/week at home and really indulge on a cruise).

• 2 weeks later...

WHen I take my family cruising we order something new for the table. We ordered the strawberry soup and each took a taste and passed it aound. It was wonderful. We also tried the pheasant one night...arggh but am glad I had the opportuinty to try something that I wouldnt normally have the chance to.

To me, it's all about adventure! Since my background is the hospitality/food industry, I'm always excited about trying new cuisine. Although I've had just about everything Carnival offers in the dining room, at one time or another, I still enjoy the occasional 'new' item.

Broaden your horizons! Try something you've never tasted before. As above, if you don't care for it, no problem. At least you will have tried it. Bon Appetit, y'all!:)

Archived