Should I keep aft-facing AF on Gem?

LadyBerard

I'm sailing next winter and have an aft-facing AF. I sailed on the Noordam this past Feb. and hit some pretty rough seas. My in-laws had a cabin as far aft as possible, and I could not spend much time in there without starting to feel dizzy and a bit nauseas.

I guess I'm looking for some convicing on whether I should keep this cabin.

The regular AF cabins are 231 sq. ft. But, for some reason, the aft-facing one is 218. Is the balcony larger on the aft-facing ones? I know that many people love these aft-facing cabins, as they say they are less windy out on the balcony.

What are the benefits of these aft-facing cabins? Should I keep it or should I grab one that is midship while they are still available?

I'm looking for a list of pros and cons I guess.

I know the vast majority swear by aft facing cabins. Personally, I am not quite so thrilled with them. There is a bit more vibration since you are above the engines/props. I am guessing there may also be some fumes from time to time due to the air flow across the stern. Just a guess, but I know just a whiff of diesel fumes will get to me in nothing flat.

Get some BONINE. Great fruit flavored pill that dissolves in your mouth for a sweet treat each morning & 24 hours of sure comfort. Great for air, amusement park rides, etc.

We are always AFT as I love the wake that is mesmerizing & has put us both to sleep out on the loungers. Peaceful which the sides we have noise all night in, with kids running the halls.

We love the Aft cabins and came across the Atlantic in one. We were on the Gem and never felt vibrations. We love the scene of the wake, leaving the place we have been and with rough seas, never felt anything more than swaying. Made us sleep like babies. We like the aft because it is more quiet, not alot of people walking by. We were on deck 10 and sometimes would wake up to ashes on the balcony from people dropping them from the Great Outdoors. Sometimes a french fry or two, but the cabin stewards would clean it up every morning or when we ask them to. The balconies are deeper than the side balconies. :)

The nicest thing about the aft facing cabins is the 180° view you get and that wake to watch. As MACOP says, take the Bonine (beforehand. It's no good taking it once you feel sick). I crossed the Atlantic last year in an aft cabin and the seas were pretty rough at times. As you say you do get more motion back there, but the seasick pills did the trick, but I made sure I took them religiously.

I know the vast majority swear by aft facing cabins. Personally, I am not quite so thrilled with them. There is a bit more vibration since you are above the engines/props. I am guessing there may also be some fumes from time to time due to the air flow across the stern. Just a guess, but I know just a whiff of diesel fumes will get to me in nothing flat.

I've had aft cabins a number of times and have never noticed any smell of fumes. I have also never smelled it when I'm in the cafe area aft a bit higher up. My understanding is that many of the NCL ships including Gem don't have prop shafts, but use pods hung from the underside of the ship. This design is supposed to reduce or eliminate any vibrations and that has been my experience.

Phil

Why are these cabins slightly smaller than the ones on port and starboard, and is the balcony larger on the aft ones?

I do take bonine whenever I sail out of NY or Boston until I get to the calmer seas (5 - 8 ft)

It's just pure physics. The farther away you are from the ship's center of gravity, the more motion there will be. These new ships have all the latest technology (not to mention large displacement) to minimize the motion but anyone prone to motion sickness is better off with a cabin toward the middle of the ship and lower down. And no matter how big they make the ship, the sea is still way, way bigger.

IMO, motion will depend upon the motion of the ocean. :) I've had aft cabins on the Sun (Seattle to Alaska) and Jewel (Wetern and Southern Caribbean) and never noticed any fumes, nor excessive vibration or motion. The reason I mentioned the itinerary is that neither of those cruises were in areas with heavy seas, which could make a difference.

Where we REALLY noticed motion was in a forward cabin on the Sun on the Pacific Ocean, with 18' swells. Yet, no motion at all in a forward cabin on the Star (Mexican Rivera).

Just walking in the Star's Galleria, which is on Deck 7 aft, I noticed quite a vibration. I don't know whether people on higher decks noticed it. The Jewel is built much like the Star, however, and we were on Deck 8 and didn't notice any vibration.

We absolutely love aft cabins. In fact, we book right as the cruises come out so we can grab one. And reading these boards will tell you that MANY people love them.

If you decide to switch to another cabin, be sure to let people on your rollcall know so they can try to snag yours. :D

Just back from 9 days on the Jewel. We were in 10168. Yes this cabin moves, but it is like a "wagging". The the towels in the bathroom were always moving (except in port). This "wagging" is not a motion that bothered me in the least.

When we hit the 12 foot seas, another story. But, I just upped my 1 Bonine to 2 and things were fine.

Balcony is larger than on the sides, a lot larger. Notice the poster above saying "lounge chairs". Yes these fit, and some balconies have them. Our room (BA) was small--when the sofa was pulled out for my son at night, we had to climb over it because it blocked the door!

We slept with the door open at night--it was great! I will definately book this view again!

Can anyone tell me if the balcony on the aft-facing AF's is larger than the ones on port and starboard side AFs? Also, why is it that their square footage for the room is less in the aft-facing AFs?

Wish I knew the answer already but if you wait a couple weeks I will give you a definate answer. We are staying in an aft balcony for the 1st time this month on the Sun. I'll take pictures of mine and hopefully a regular one if I can sneak a peak. Hopefully that will help. I have been told that the balconies are a lot bigger in the Aft cabins which is why I selected one.

I'll let you know for sure soon!

Can anyone tell me if the balcony on the aft-facing AF's is larger than the ones on port and starboard side AFs? Also, why is it that their square footage for the room is less in the aft-facing AFs?

The balconies are exactly the same square footage. Not all the aft AFs are slightly smaller the size varies. The ones that are smaller have a different floorplan and I liked it when I saw it with the bed by the balcony and sofa when you enter. This allows for much easier access to the closet then a normal layout

Does Bonine still make you sleepy like Dramamine does or not so much? We have an aft AF on the Star coming up and I am pretty sensitive to motion. When we did Alaska several years ago we were mid-ship in an AF and I still had to take something. Just hoping maybe the Bonine doesn't knock you out quite so much.

Archived