Cabin Upgrade -Pier Coordinator

I've seen posts that you can pay a nominal amount to upgrade your cabin at the pier, if available. Is there a way of contacting the pier coordinator the day before your sailing to see if you can upgrade at that time? Location, San Juan. Thanks.

No you have to check-in first and then see the pier coordinator for available upgrades.

ETA: If you want to upgrade before check-in you can do so if available at the current going rate for the cabin you are upgrading to and paying the difference to what you paid.

Apparently the best thing about the Pier Coordinator route is the upgrade charge is per stateroom....not per person. The downside is you have to check-in and get a SeaPass first because that is (reportedly) the only way to pay for it. It is often worth checking even if they have a sign up that none are available but only if you arrive really early before other's may have tried it. Also, "nominal" is relative. Charts that have been posted for 7 day seem to show it to be, on average, around $200 per category upgraded

Also, even if none are available at the pier once onboard and after the 90 minute boarding cut-off there may be a slim chance for a no-show availability via the Purser's desk....but these are then back to the per-person charge basis.

I've been paying a lot of attention to thse posts hoping to try either route in a couple weeks on the slim chance of there being an accessible balcony cabin for DW who uses a wheelchair.

Because we booked last minute and a balcony was not available at the time, we tried for a pier upgrade.

We were first to check-in and there was nothing available. We were able to give our name and check again after sailaway to see if there were no-shows. No such staterooms became available. :(

Apparently the best thing about the Pier Coordinator route is the upgrade charge is per stateroom....not per person. The downside is you have to check-in and get a SeaPass first because that is (reportedly) the only way to pay for it. It is often worth checking even if they have a sign up that none are available but only if you arrive really early before other's may have tried it. Also, "nominal" is relative. Charts that have been posted for 7 day seem to show it to be, on average, around $200 per category upgraded

Also, even if none are available at the pier once onboard and after the 90 minute boarding cut-off there may be a slim chance for a no-show availability via the Purser's desk....but these are then back to the per-person charge basis.

I've been paying a lot of attention to thse posts hoping to try either route in a couple weeks on the slim chance of there being an accessible balcony cabin for DW who uses a wheelchair.

I don´t know from experience, but from reading the boards that the accessible cabins are released some time before sailing to the so to speak general public bookings (read can be booked by people that won´t need them). So you might not want to wait until sail day as I guess chances are slim to none to find an accesible cabin to upgrade to. But then of course cost might be a factor. However good luck in getting an upgrade at the pier:)

And do you check in with RCCL and then ask to speak to the pier coordinator? or do you talk to the pier coordinator first? is the pier coordinator in the RCCL area when you check in?

Sorry for all the questions!

We were able to go this route - once. In 2004 on the Brilliance in Barcelona. I was able to be #1 in line and that is the only reason I was able to get the upgrade. We were in a JS and upgraded to at GS. The cost was $700 for 12 nights. I just don't remember what we paid for the JS. However that was the only suite above the JS that was available.

We've tried several times since then but it's just about impossible. Too many people with the the same idea. Last time I thought to look the line up for the pier co-ordinator had in the area of 100 people in it and we checked in early.

Marilyn

Cruiseloveragaent do you happen to have any connections in SJ..:o

we're leaving on 04/19...

NinaB...are you sailing Serenade 04/19/08? If you are, there's not really anything to upgrade to.

We tried to upgrade once with the Pier Coordinator in LA..... there were no upgrades available......we were in waiting area and about 1/2 hour later they come and call out our name.....we thought, COOL, we got an upgrade....NO SUCH LUCK......

Apparently, our TA had booked us mistakenly with a residency discount and the pier coord told us to pay $500 to sail or they had to leave us behind.....ok, well no choice here but to pay......called the TA who made it good to us......she had records to show that RCL had told her Missouri had a discount only RCL said MI was Missouri which is actually MO.....

We have NEVER tried to talk to a pier coordinator since....

At the time, it wasn't funny, and I can remember being really mad.......however, now 5 years later we can laugh about how we thought "yea, an upgrade!"......

I wonder if I upgrade from a balcony to the js or above at the pier would I still get a extra cruisecredit? :) I cant belive in 14 plus sailings ive never heard of this

Yes, you'll get the extra credit.

W upgraded to the PH on both the Summit and Infinity....we went to the pier co-ordinator first both times and were first in line. The second person in line took our RS and upgraded also. It was fun to be able to get more room for such a low price - $1000 for the cabin upgrade...

Archived