Jeans/Shorts/Baseball Caps in the Main Dining Rooms

chrisbd1

I say go for it!

Whenever I see a post like this on other cruiselines boards. People heads spin around and they breath fire. :eek:

I was just curious to see if NCL's board would be the same :)

Jeans and baseball caps are permitted on NCL at dinner with the exception of ONE main dining room where they are not allowed.

No shorts in the dining rooms for dinner but are permitted in the buffet.

"Live and Let Live"

The "Fire Breathers" will be here soon;)

Jeans and baseball caps are permitted on NCL at dinner with the exception of ONE main dining room where they are not allowed.

"Live and Let Live"

I thought it was "Live and Let Die".:)

OP is just trying to start something. I don't think "this" casual appeals to many, even on NCL freestyle.

(And Spotty needs to go potty, dear.)

I thought it was "Live and Let Die".:)

OP is just trying to start something. I don't think "this" casual appeals to many, even on NCL freestyle.

(And Spotty needs to go potty, dear.)

I believe "Live and Let Die" was a movie;)

"Live and Let Live"...."believing that other people should be allowed to live their lives in the way that they want to"

While this "casual" dress may not appeal to many....I started working in the day when woman HAD to wear skirts/dresses to the office...for many years. While the men were dressed in suits that were nice and warm:) ..My kids cannot believe that I had to wear dresses when it was freezing outside.

Those days are long gone.

We all move on...;)

Just wanted to make the comment that my grandmother lived to be 103 years old. And up until that, if she saw anyone with a baseball cap (any kind of hat) at the dinner table, they were WHACKED! And hard! And to tell you the truth, I could see her doing that to perfect strangers in a cruise ship dining room!:eek: :D Whack them right upside the head she would! I'm laughing to myself now just thinking about it!:p

"Live and Let Live"

Just wanted to make the comment that my grandmother lived to be 103 years old. And up until that, if she saw anyone with a baseball cap (any kind of hat) at the dinner table, they were WHACKED! And hard! And to tell you the truth, I could see her doing that to perfect strangers in a cruise ship dining room!:eek: :D Whack them right upside the head she would! I'm laughing to myself now just thinking about it!:p

Did we have the same grandmother? My paternal grandmother was born in the late 1870's, and yes, she would have done the same thing!:p My father too! How funny it is how things have changed. Men were always taught to take off their hats when they entered inside. Oh, well. I'm 52 and feel like I might as well add a couple of decades; make that three.:o

Unless it's formal night, or clearly stated somewhere, I really do not have a problem with people wearing NICE jeans (no holes, bleach marks, raggy hems). I'd much rather have dinner with a happy comfortable polite group of people who are neatly dressed than a bunch of dressed up grumpy people. Not that the two are mutually exclusive, if you know what I mean! Those two girls who wore teensy faded jean mini skirts with high heels on the last cruise (RCI main dining room) wear very out of place. Pray I have the strength to stand up to my daughter in a situation like that when she is older! Having said all that I do have a problem with hats at the dinner table. :) Go figure.

On vacation I have much better things to do than worry about how anyone else is dressed.

That being said, none of us ever wear the afore mentioned clothing to dinner as our own personal choice.

if you are from NH...(and i am not...just happen to know this bit of trivia)...their state motto is

Live Free or Die

...and it's on their license plates. as for the thread...dudes...dockers/slacks and a golf shirt isn't a big deal. eat dinner in style...then if you wanna change afterwards...go ahead!

165 looked at the post, 9 commented, 1 knew I was just testing a theory. Just so you know, I've been told, in no uncertain terms, that I will NOT be wearing jeans in the dining room or at any specialty resturant. I wasn't planning on it, anyway. Really I wasn't :rolleyes: . I know the dress code and can conform to it, it really isn't a big deal to me. I've only once even noticed what anyone else was wearing. I sometimes forget what I'm wearing :) .

I really was just curious as to the responses on an NCL board. Someone wondered if HAL or RCCL would allow shorts or jeans in the dining room and all heck broke loose! Many likened it to th end of civilization or at least an end to their cruising on those lines if it occured.

There's a poster who's signature says:

Hammybee

Who always dresses for dinner and does not notice what you are wearing, unless there is a pineapple on your head.

I like that :)

Baseball hats belong at a baseball game. If you wear them into the dining room, you are either a bad mannered hick that just climbed off their John Deere or a poser who thinks they're the next Snoop Dog. Other than that, I really don't care what you wear.

I don't care what anyone wears when they eat dinner, but I object strenuously to anybody who does not remove their hat or cap when dining.

I served in the USAF for 30 years, and you ALWAYS removed your cap when entering a building of any kind. The only ones allowed to keep their caps on in the Mess Hall were security police under arms. I guess some of those guys who don't take their baseball caps off in the restaurant are probably bald and are ashamed of it. :rolleyes:

Why would anyone care if someone wore jeans, shorts or a ball cap to dinner? I have never understood why someone would be so self-centered to be upset by what someone else wore. I would much rather have someone at the next table in jeans / shorts who were quiet and respecatable than to have people in tuxes and evening dresses who were loud and obnoxious.

Why would anyone care if someone wore jeans, shorts or a ball cap to dinner? I have never understood why someone would be so self-centered to be upset by what someone else wore. I would much rather have someone at the next table in jeans / shorts who were quiet and respecatable than to have people in tuxes and evening dresses who were loud and obnoxious.

Agreed. But how hard is it to go put on your pants before dinner? Not hard at all, just laziness if they don't.

For those who do not want to change, how hard is it to go grab a plate from the buffet and plop down in front of a TV somewhere, just like at home?

I PAY FOR MY CRUISE, NOT YOU GUYS. I WILL WEAR A HAT AND JEANS IF I FEEL LIKE IT AND THERE IS NOTHING---I REPEAT---NOTHING---YOU CAN DO ABOUT IT EXCEPT SIT THERE AND CRY IN YOUR LOBSTER AND FANCY SMANCY WINE.

Put that in your pipe and puff on it.

HAHA

:cool:

I dont have an issue with what people wear as long. I dont usually pay attention, although there are some outfits that have "gotten" my attention LOL. If you look neat and clean , go for it.

I do, however, have an issue with hats. Just the way I grew up, its more like a manners thing to me, like elbows on the table, not slurping your soup, eating with your hands and mouth closed kinda thing for me. Then again, I hate it, at sporting events, when during the National Anthem, men dont take off their hats as well.

I PAY FOR MY CRUISE, NOT YOU GUYS. I WILL WEAR A HAT AND JEANS IF I FEEL LIKE IT AND THERE IS NOTHING---I REPEAT---NOTHING---YOU CAN DO ABOUT IT EXCEPT SIT THERE AND CRY IN YOUR LOBSTER AND FANCY SMANCY WINE.

HAHA

Wonder what you've been puffing in your pipe???

"Wonder what you've been puffing in your pipe???"

That is no more of your business than what I wear on my head when I eat.

Just go and enjoy your trip and try not to get so worked up over how other people dress. It is ridiculous.

And by the way, I never wear a hat to dinner. I do wear it to sporting events and I do take it off during the National Anthem.

But the point is, if I want to wear a hat when I eat, it is nobody's business but mine.

Gee TonyFred, don't hold back, tell us how you really feel ;)

So long as we dress within the rules set up by our host (the cruise line) no one should care (and if they do, that's their problem). And if someone wants to dress "outside" of the rules, I don't care but they should be prepared to catch all holy H-E-double hockey sticks

But the point is, if I want to wear a hat when I eat, it is nobody's business but mine.

I personally don't care what you wear, but I had to laugh because (and you can read my post from above about what I'm talking about), I can picture you sitting there at dinner and my Grandmother would have made it her business and whacked you upside the head.LOL:)

Again, what you wear is your business and I don't care, it just gave me another chuckle.:D

Did we have the same grandmother? My paternal grandmother was born in the late 1870's, and yes, she would have done the same thing!:p My father too! How funny it is how things have changed. Men were always taught to take off their hats when they entered inside. Oh, well. I'm 52 and feel like I might as well add a couple of decades; make that three.:o

I think it was Bum Phillips, when coach of the Houston Oilers when they still played in the Astro Dome -- some of the sports commentators had notice that while he proudly sported his trademark cowboy hat at most away games, he NEVER wore it at home games. Someone asked if it was a superstition or what and his reply was that his mama had taught him that a gentleman always removed his hat when indoors.

I tend to agree with Bum's mama -- it may not be against any "rule" but wearing a baseball hat indoors is a bit rude. I have been known to wear my baseball cap to games at Miller Field in Milwaukee, and am a bit at a loss as to whether it is "appropriate" to wear it when the roof is drawn closed? Judging by the miserable look of the crowd at the Cubs home opener yesterday (game delayed by rain, rain delay during game) - it is a nice quandry to be able to have.:)

There may not be a ship's rule that states that one should refrain from talking with one's mouth full, that one should not drink from one's neighbor's water glass, and that one should use silverware when eating; but there are certain minimum expectations in society as to how someone should behave at the dinner table. And it is within the realm of societal expectations that the "no hats at the dinner table" expectation exists.

I don't care what anyone wears when they eat dinner, but I object strenuously to anybody who does not remove their hat or cap when dining.

I served in the USAF for 30 years, and you ALWAYS removed your cap when entering a building of any kind. The only ones allowed to keep their caps on in the Mess Hall were security police under arms. I guess some of those guys who don't take their baseball caps off in the restaurant are probably bald and are ashamed of it. :rolleyes:

my BIL is a commander in the Navy - and he'll read anyone wearing a cover indoors the riot act. His DD is only 4YO, but I pity her boyfriends when she grows up!

HAHA

No need to shout. Let's keep this a civilized discussion.

Archived