Celebrity makes all cabins nonsmoking

edieredmann

:confused: I just received my docs today for my 4/26/08 Mercury cruise to Alaska. Under their smoking policy it states, " For the comfort of all our guests, designated smoking and nonsmoking areas are available throughout the ship. Cigar and pipe smoking is permitted only on the ships outer decks, and is not permitted in the staterooms, suites, or on stateroom/suite verandas. ALL STATEROOMS ARE NONSMOKING. As a courtesy to our guests, ships personnel will strictly enforce the smoking policy. Celebrity may conduct special cruises with different smoking policies." When I checked the website today, it still gave the information that you could smoke in staterooms ( except cigars or pipes ), and the left side of the ship. Has anyone else seen this on their docs?

From the docs (p. 13) for our 5/5/08 cruise on the Millennium:

"For the comfort of all our guests, designated smoking and nonsmoking areas are available throughout the ship. Cigar and pipe smoking is permitted only on the ships (sic) outer decks and is not permitted in the stateroooms, suites, or on stateroom/suite verandas. all (sic) staterooms are non smoking. As a courtesy to our guests, ships (sic) personnel will strictly enforce the smoking policy. Celebrity may conduct special cruises with different smoking policies."

In addition to the writer's lack of understanding of how to use the apostrophe, the word "all" in the sentence about no smoking in the staterooms isn't capitalized. Maybe this is an indication that the sentence was added in a hurry before the docs went to press?

From the docs (p. 13) for our 5/5/08 cruise on the Millennium:

"For the comfort of all our guests, designated smoking and nonsmoking areas are available throughout the ship. Cigar and pipe smoking is permitted only on the ships (sic) outer decks and is not permitted in the stateroooms, suites, or on stateroom/suite verandas. all (sic) staterooms are non smoking. As a courtesy to our guests, ships (sic) personnel will strictly enforce the smoking policy. Celebrity may conduct special cruises with different smoking policies."

In addition to the writer's lack of understanding of how to use the apostrophe, the word "all" in the sentence about no smoking in the staterooms isn't capitalized. Maybe this is an indication that the sentence was added in a hurry before the docs went to press?

I am thinking the same thing. What's really confusing though, is that the web site still states that smoking in the staterooms is permitted. My husband is quite upset with this.

Ok - So all this mde me check my e-docs for my 4/28 Infinity cruise and there is not even a smoking policy to be found in them and there are only 12 pages so there is no page 13 to refer to. Are you looking at something I don't have yet?

Thanks!

Joni

We have received our docs for our Millennium cruise in 2 weeks and there is no mention of any conditions re smoking at all.

I posted this on another thread a couple of weeks ago.....

A thread last week mentioned that some people were getting their docs which said that there was NO smoking in cabins and balconies onboard Celebrity ships. I emailed Celebrity to clarify, and a friend also made 3 phone calls to Captains Club and Celebrity who all said the policies have NOT changed.

I emailed celebrity.co.uk and celebrity.com and received the answers below...

Thank you for your email, Cigarette smoking is permitted at this time in staterooms and on verandas. Cigar & pipe smoking, however, are not allowed in either the stateroom or on verandas. The documents reflect this same information.

Please let me know if I could be of further assistance. Thank you for choosing Celebrity Cruises, Inc.

and from the UK office...

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for your email.

Smoking is permitted on stateroom balconies and designated areas onboard. However guests with an inside stateroom are not permitted to smoke.

Thank you for choosing Celebrity Cruises.

So even Celebrity staff are confused. One thing they DO agree on is that you CAN smoke on the balconies.

I just called them, and was told no change to rules.

The Uk site has just posted a memo on their latest news page.

We would cancel if they stopped smoking on balconies or outdoor areas.

Whats the point in paying thousands and thousands of pounds on a cruise, travelling half way around the world, and then having to run up to decks for a cig..nah..no way!

Anyway, they assured us, no problem on balconies..thank goodness!!

Link to UK news:

http://www.celebritycruises.co.uk/pages/news.php

Please remember this could be an April Fools by the OP. I sent an email to Celebrity when this same exact thread came up and received a reply that there is no change and they have no future plans to change. Someone going on one of the Celebrity cruises a couple of weeks ago received the same documents. My guess if this is not an April Fools is that that they started to print documents and used the wrong standard documents to start with such as using Azamara documents.

Thank you for your e-mail. We are happy to assist.

Frankly, we do not know why the poster stated that his cruise on Celebrity after

April 1 has a different smoking policy that we have at present. We believe, that

he may be on an Azamara cruise and assumes that it is Celebrity.

At this time, we have not changed or plan to change our current smoking policy.

Constance Wood

Customer Service Representative

We know the OP on that thread was going on a Celebrity ship so it can only be explained as a mistake...

Celebrity has gained the reputation of being the smoker's cruiseline.QUOTE]

I would point out that I have only ever heard of yourself and one other poster

make that comment. I have not seen it in any travel magazines, columns or any authoritative source. I have been on many cruise lines and disagree with your statement. I am a non smoker but am not in any way militant about the policies either way.

Please remember this could be an April Fools by the OP. I sent an email to Celebrity when this same exact thread came up and received a reply that there is no change and they have no future plans to change. Someone going on one of the Celebrity cruises a couple of weeks ago received the same documents. My guess if this is not an April Fools is that that they started to print documents and used the wrong standard documents to start with such as using Azamara documents.

Frankly, we do not know why the poster stated that his cruise on Celebrity after

April 1 has a different smoking policy that we have at present. We believe, that

Constance Wood

We know the OP on that thread was going on a Celebrity ship so it can only be explained as a mistake...

I too thought it might be a low mentality april fool's joke.. but if it was, then the OP will get bad luck all day as you can only carry out an af between midnight and noon on april 1st:) OP was done on 31st march:)

I too thought it might be a low mentality april fool's joke.. but if it was, then the OP will get bad luck all day as you can only carry out an af between midnight and noon on april 1st:) OP was done on 31st march:)

I agree with you but I thought I'd throw it out anyway. I think someone at Celebrity is screwing up the docs since this is the second person we know of who has received the same papers...

I am going to smoke 40 a day and smuggle 2 crates of booze on board to decante into little bottles to take into the show lounge :D

Dont shout at me I'm joking...best put that in as I am new here and dont want to start a argument straight away

Mandy

Constance Wood

OK, guys, as some of you may know, I'm a non smoker, but I figure it's none of my business if you smoke. I have no ax to grind. Sooo, I looked it up in my docs. No April Fools joke! The phrase is there. It DOES look funny though, like a misprint or bad edit.

"...... Cigar and pipe smoking is permitted only on the ships outer decks and is not permitted in the staterooms, suites or on stateroom/suite verandas. all staterooms are non smoking. As a courtesy to our guests, ship personnel will strictly enforce the smoking policy. ...."

I hadn't bothered looking at it before. I really don't know what to think. I HATE it when X misguides us. It's reps think/say one thing, and it's policy states different info depending on the source. Drives me nuts!:mad:

Maybe X is pulling an April Fools joke?!?:eek:

Happy cruising!

Denise

:confused: I just received my docs today for my 4/26/08 Mercury cruise to Alaska. Under their smoking policy it states, " For the comfort of all our guests, designated smoking and nonsmoking areas are available throughout the ship. Cigar and pipe smoking is permitted only on the ships outer decks, and is not permitted in the staterooms, suites, or on stateroom/suite verandas. ALL STATEROOMS ARE NONSMOKING. As a courtesy to our guests, ships personnel will strictly enforce the smoking policy. Celebrity may conduct special cruises with different smoking policies." When I checked the website today, it still gave the information that you could smoke in staterooms ( except cigars or pipes ), and the left side of the ship. Has anyone else seen this on their docs?

Personally glad to see it. There is still smoking, just limited areas. I had a cruise last year where we were stunned by the stench of smoke in our cabin. It took two days to get it cleared out where we did not notice it each time we entered our cabin.

Guess an alternative would have been to designate smoking rooms only and let the smokers enjoy the residual smoke from previous smokers. You would assume they would enjoy that stale after scent. :)

Keep in mind that Celebrity is owned by RCI. RCI has gone non-smoking in all their staterooms (it was effective 1-1-08), but you're still allowed to smoke on the balconies. They could be moving in that direction on X. But I'm sure they would give advanced warning as they did on RCI.

I'm a smoker but have never smoked in my cabin and only rarely on the balcony.

To address the possibility of an April Fool prank, I don't think so. We got docs last week for our 5 May 2008 Celebrity (not Azamara) cruise, and as I posted below, on p. 13 of the 60-page Guest Ticket Booklet under Smoking Policy is this sentence: "all staterooms are non smoking." The lack of a capital A at the beginning of the sentence may indicate the sentence was added in a hurry at the last minute and not proofed.

I forgot to sign AkaWanda out when I posted the scanned page and link.

Just in case anyone thought maybe she was not a good reference because she hasn't many posts or lacks a signature.

I guess being April 1st could get some folks swayed, but honestly with so many places in the world going non smoking or smokeless, is this such a shock?

I quit 5 years ago so really don't care one way or the other, now. If I was still smoking? I think I may be a little miffed.

Archived