Celebrity makes all cabins nonsmoking

edieredmann

Don't get me wrong; nobody would be happier than me if this new smoking policy is for real! Still, Celebrity needs to get its act together, one way or the other. The website says one thing; the cruise docs say another. Celebrity seems to be talking out of both sides of its mouth.:rolleyes:

Wow, we just got off Summit and didn't even notice smoking on the balconys. The new policy might just be going into effect but I can honestly say that we saw very little smoking at all on this cruise, and it was Easter Week with a lot of people on board. I never even thought about it but now that it's here I can honestly say we didn't see many smokers at all. The cabins were as clear as usual. I do know we were in front of an RCI ship in San Juan and heard their announcements prior to sailing and they stated clearly no smoking in the cabins or on balconys. Seemed strange but I guess that's their new policy. Glad to see Celebrity following suit.

Pat C

Just doublechecked our docs for are upcoming cruise and see the nonsmoking blurb in there as well - no April Fools.

I'm thinking that it is some sort of mistake. Perhaps it's something they are moving to in the future, but I can't imagine that they would just make all the cabins non smoking without some sort of big press release first.

On the otherhand as a non smoker it doens't affect me either way. :cool:

Just doublechecked our docs for are upcoming cruise and see the nonsmoking blurb in there as well - no April Fools.

I'm thinking that it is some sort of mistake. Perhaps it's something they are moving to in the future, but I can't imagine that they would just make all the cabins non smoking without some sort of big press release first.

On the otherhand as a non smoker it doens't affect me either way. :cool:

I emailed Celebrity about this and this was the reply...

Thank you for your e-mail. We are happy to assist.

Celebrity Cruises has not changed the current smoking policy nor do we have

plans to do so in the future.

Unfortunately there was an error in the printing of the Guest Documents booklet

and we are working on getting that corrected.

Thank you for choosing Celebrity Cruises.

Constance Wood

Customer Service Representative

It seems they have got the RCCL and X paper work mixed up.

I wouldnt have a problem with no smoking in the cabins because I dont smoke in the house so why smoke in doors when on a ship. But what I would object to is a any company changing the policy with such short notice. I dont think it fair on smokers who book a X cruise because of the less strict rules on X to other cruise lines (myself inc). Changes wil come but hopefuly they will do it with a start date in the future not just drop it on people that have already booked like P&O did which I think is bad customer serviceto 33% of thier customer base.

I do think they should make one side of the cabins/balconies no smoking that way both parties could enjoy the balcony without fear of upsetting the other.

Mandy

I just spoke with two different supervisors at Celebrity who say that there has been NO change and that there has been a misprint.

They ensured me over and over that there has been no change and that a misprint has occurred at the printers because of the difference between smoking policies on Azamara and Celebrity.

They both were not at all happy about it because they said they would be taking calls now all day about it especially when I told them there had been a posting on cruise critic.

This also seems to coincide with the response that Don got (dkjretired), I guess for many this will be just wishful thinking.

As a side note, if they wanted to change the website, that could be accomplished fairly quickly, and easily. A 'content' change like that is something that could be done rapidly (we do content changes here all the time, its a straightforward process). So, that also serves as potential added confirmation that the policy is not changing.

I emailed Celebrity about this and this was the reply...

Thank you for your e-mail. We are happy to assist.

Thank you for choosing Celebrity Cruises.

Constance Wood

Customer Service Representative

That might explain why there is no mention of the smoking policy at all in our docs for the April 20th on the Millennium.

Will let you all know of the outcome when we come back.

It seems they have got the RCCL and X paper work mixed up.

I wouldnt have a problem with no smoking in the cabins because I dont smoke in the house so why smoke in doors when on a ship. But what I would object to is a any company changing the policy with such short notice. I dont think it fair on smokers who book a X cruise because of the less strict rules on X to other cruise lines (myself inc). Changes wil come but hopefuly they will do it with a start date in the future not just drop it on people that have already booked like P&O did which I think is bad customer serviceto 33% of thier customer base.

I do think they should make one side of the cabins/balconies no smoking that way both parties could enjoy the balcony without fear of upsetting the other.

Mandy

I agree wholeheartedly with every word you say.

Moreover, I would add that this unfortunate misprint is potentially harmful to those who read it and expect rooms to be non-smoking based on these documents. They may end up severely disappointed...

Accuracy and clarity are bigger problems here than whatever the actual policy is. If people know what the rules are, they can make reasonable decisions. If they are misled or misinformed, they are likely to suffer as a result.

Thanks to all of you who took the time to respond about which smoking policy is in effect. I am sorry if I offended anyone, I didn't mean to. Apparently I did, as I received some very uncourteous remarks from a few people, that had nothing to do with answering my questions. Thanks to the hosts that pulled the remarks, and I won't bother anyone with my questions again. Once more, thanks to all of you that took the time and effort to answer the question that I asked.

Cigarette Smoking is permitted:

In staterooms.

In designated areas on the port (left) side of most public areas (Lounges, Bars, Decks).

This is after they just spent the day yesterday UPDATING their site.

I also hate discourteous smokers, however If the smoking and non-smoking areas are respected I personally don't see a problem.

Dave:eek:

Thanks to all of you who took the time to respond about which smoking policy is in effect. I am sorry if I offended anyone, I didn't mean to. Apparently I did, as I received some very uncourteous remarks from a few people, that had nothing to do with answering my questions. Thanks to the hosts that pulled the remarks, and I won't bother anyone with my questions again. Once more, thanks to all of you that took the time and effort to answer the question that I asked.

I want to thank you very much for posting since the same thing occurred last week with someone else receiving the documents. It may have been because of the emails and phone calls that Celebrity realized they had sent out the wrong documents and now is in the process of correcting their mistakes. In that respect your thread was important and needed at this time.

I am sorry for the April Fools comments but I had to throw that out there. I think you inadvertently had bad timing. Also, these boards are great but smoking, dressing and kids on a cruise will always be hot topics.

You didn't offend me. Thank you for bringing this up, because this time we got the reason why the booklets say one thing and the web site says another. Please don't go away.

edieredmann:) - I'm sure no one meant any offense toward you. Please, you should always feel free to ask questions, make comments, and search for complete and accurate cruise info along with the rest of us! That's what we're all here for!:)

You know, I didn't notice the smoking policy in my docs until you mentioned it. Good catch on your part! As I stated in my previous post, I HATE it when X gives mixed msgs about policy.:mad:

Boo boos certainly happen, but it's because of eagle eyed posters like yourself, and the ensuing phone calls/e-mails, that boo boos get corrected. Thanks.

Great job of sleuthing on everyone's part! As always, I'm impressed!:D

Happy cruising!

Denise

Well, as a smoker who is booked on -X- for next February, I've got to say that my decision to book with -X- was based predominately on their advertised smoking policy at the time of booking.

I know that some folks will point out that that the company have a "right" to change policy and therefore I would have thought that I have a "right" to cancel without penalty as they've changed or could change the terms and conditions of my contract with them.

As a smoker with a non smoking DW, I don't smoke in the cabin. I do want to be able to smoke on my balcony but would be very sensitive to the effect it might have on adjoining balcony users and more than willing to avoid causing distress to them.

I think the answer is that -X- should clarify the policy and then we all know whats expected of us "social pariahs". I maintain that I have a "right" to continue to smoke, but fully accept that such a right shouldn't be to the detriment of the enjoyment of the cruise or health of others.

Is "blocking off" a small section of cabins the answer? or should all smokers accept that the "writing is on the wall" and find alternative vacation options? From a personal point of view, if a particular cruise line prevents me from enjoying a cigarette, smoked in a responsible way, whilst I'm on vacation and insists that I "stand outside" exposed to the elements, in much the same way as I have to at work, in order to have a smoke, I will choose other smoke tolerant cruise companies, who are up front about their smokng policies and ,when all the cruise companies "ban smokers", I will choose another form of vacation.

We all have a freedom of choice! But please don't change the rules after I've booked!!

Why can't they make one side of the ships cabins smoking and one side non-smoking like they do in the lounges?

There is nothing on more irritating than being a non-smoker with smokers all around you who are all out on their balconies smoking! I want to enjoy the fresh air on my balcony. When the wind is stong, the smoke comes in through the ventilation system too.

Why can't they make one side of the ships cabins smoking and one side non-smoking like they do in the lounges?

There is nothing on more irritating than being a non-smoker with smokers all around you who are all out on their balconies smoking! I want to enjoy the fresh air on my balcony. When the wind is stong, the smoke comes in through the ventilation system too.

The cruise lines are in business to make money for their stockholders. Here's the reason why from an article by Cruise Critic..

"It's an issue of "spoilage" (the industry's lingo for unsold cabins) that keeps cruise lines from designating some cabins non-smoking, in the fashion of hotel rooms. "It would present an inventory mess," says a spokesperson for CLIA, the cruise industry's official trade association. "The cruise lines' yield management people want the ships to sail full at all times; you can't do that if you set aside non-smoking rooms.""

Denise, What are you saying?

"Boo boos certainly happen, but it's because of eagle eyed posters like yourself, and the ensuing phone calls/e-mails, that boo boos get corrected. Thanks."

Was I an accident?:D

Dave aka bububr ( boo boo bear )

I just called them, and was told no change to rules.

The Uk site has just posted a memo on their latest news page.

We would cancel if they stopped smoking on balconies or outdoor areas.

Whats the point in paying thousands and thousands of pounds on a cruise, travelling half way around the world, and then having to run up to decks for a cig..nah..no way!

Anyway, they assured us, no problem on balconies..thank goodness!!

Link to UK news:

http://www.celebritycruises.co.uk/pages/news.php

Similarly, what's the point of paying thousanda of dollars and not being able to use your balcony because of second hand smoke from next door as we experienced on Zenith. We now book inside.

Denise, What are you saying?

"Boo boos certainly happen, but it's because of eagle eyed posters like yourself, and the ensuing phone calls/e-mails, that boo boos get corrected. Thanks."

Was I an accident?:D

Dave aka bububr ( boo boo bear )

The very BEST kind, baby!;):D Thank your parents for me!

Denise

Archived