Holland America boarding procedure in Ft. Lauderdale

pablo222

It's been a few years since we've been on HAL, but we have a cruise booked for April.

We'll be driving to the port.

I'd like to avoid sitting around waiting to board -- go out for coffee, or something, then come back.

I'm hoping y'all can refresh my memory, and let me know if this is still

the current procedure.

Drive up and drop off bags. Park. Check-in. At check-in, receive

a boarding number -- 1, 5, etc.

Wait until the ship is ready to board, and then until your group is

called. Board. Enjoy.

When we were last on HAL, you could start checking in between

11:00 and 11:30, but boarding didn't start until 1:00 - 1:30.

Is this still the current procedure?

My plan would be to drop off bags, park, check-in and get a number.

Go out for site-seeing, coffee, etc. and return around 1:00 for

boarding.

Does this sound reasonable?

Thanks.

The only time (so far) that we boarded at FtL we arrived at 12:15p and just walked right up to a waiting clerk and then directly onto the ship.

I suggest you turn your bags over to a porter, park in the garage, do your sightseeing, and then check in when you get back. Or better yet, drop your bags off, use your own car for sightseeing, then come back and park and check in.

HAL has had early embarkation for at least the last several years. They begin checking guests in around 11:15 and almost always start boarding people by 11:30. FLL has the system run so smoothly it is usually a smooth, easy procedure. Every now and then the computers do a flippy or Port Everglades is so crowded things get backed up and slow but that is rare.

You should probably have a smooth, easy embark.

I would not check in until I was ready to board. You can, of course, drop your bags then go out again, but the traffic into Port Everglades at that time of day can cause you to have a slow return to the parking garage, especially if several ships are sailing.

HAL is doing a good job of getting early arrivers on board before noon. We are almost always in the Lido for lunch well before twelve.

If it were me, once I was in and at the pier, I would not go out again.

Hope you have a great time.

That's good information, as we'll be coming in the afternoon before and check out is usually @ 11 these days. As the hotel will shuttle us to the terminal, we really have little choice but to get there about 11:30.

We have rented a car and enjoyed Lauderdale before; Flamingo Gardens is worth a visit particularly if you are interested in tropical plants.

That's good information, as we'll be coming in the afternoon before and check out is usually @ 11 these days. As the hotel will shuttle us to the terminal, we really have little choice but to get there about 11:30.

We have rented a car and enjoyed Lauderdale before; Flamingo Gardens is worth a visit particularly if you are interested in tropical plants.

I for one, like to board as soon as possible... to me..my cruise begins as soon as I step on board, so the earlier, the better. ;)

If you're staying at a FLL hotel anywhere near the cruise terminal there will be many people who will use the shuttle from your hotel to the ship. You might want to ask about the shuttle for the next day as soon as you check in; they'll probably direct you to a sign-up sheet with several choices of shuttle times and the popular times will fill up quickly. Last time we did the hotel in FLL thing, our flight was late so by the time we got to the hotel the only times left were the 3 pm shuttle or the 10 am shuttle which we thought would be too early, but certainly better than 3, and the 10 am worked out quite well. We only sat around for a half hour or so--by the time the shuttle dropped us off it was 10:30 since they had px for other ships as well that happened to be dropped off first. As was mentioned upthread, you can generally expect to be onboard and in the Lido by 11:30 or so.

We try and time it after the morning rush and before the planes land. So, about noon works best for us - we walk right up and on we go.

One thing I really liked last time we cruised from Port Everglades - a red coated gentleman asked us our cabin number as soon as we excited the taxi and proceeded to whisk us through (even security) to the Deluxe Verandah Suite check-in counter where no one was in line.

Kudos to HAL for taking such good care of their Suite pax. :)

I concur on the traffic thing! Westerdam was toward the far end of the terminal and the traffic was pretty bad ... some 8 or 9 ships in port, I'd guess, and all debarking/embarking at the same time. What a zoo for the road system through there! That said, once our cab dropped us off, everything was easy-peasy. Porters took our bags right from the cab driver, check-in lasted about 2 minutes, up the escalator then onboard within the next 10 minutes, if it was that long. Oh, and we arrived aroun 11:30, 11:45.

One thing: Make sure you've got your passports handy when you drive into the port. Agents are checking them (just a glance, but ya gotta have it out) when you drive in the main gate.

I concur on the traffic thing! Westerdam was toward the far end of the terminal and the traffic was pretty bad ... some 8 or 9 ships in port, I'd guess, and all debarking/embarking at the same time. What a zoo for the road system through there! That said, once our cab dropped us off, everything was easy-peasy. Porters took our bags right from the cab driver, check-in lasted about 2 minutes, up the escalator then onboard within the next 10 minutes, if it was that long. Oh, and we arrived aroun 11:30, 11:45.

One thing: Make sure you've got your passports handy when you drive into the port. Agents are checking them (just a glance, but ya gotta have it out) when you drive in the main gate.

Thanks, I'll remember that!

The only time (so far) that we boarded at FtL we arrived at 12:15p and just walked right up to a waiting clerk and then directly onto the ship.

John, when are you planning to arrive for our upcoming cruise? We are staying with family the night before, so our arrival time is flexible--obviously I'd like to have as minimal wait time as possible. :)

I can't imagaine anyone saying:

I would rather sit here for a couple hours than get right on.

Yes, that's why I said "obviously." :p

So, is the best time to arrive right at 11 a.m.?

"Several" ships in Port Everglades is no problem at all. They handle that easily. It can get crowded and busy with 7 or 8 or more ships as we have seen in at the same time. :eek:

John, when are you planning to arrive for our upcoming cruise? We are staying with family the night before, so our arrival time is flexible--obviously I'd like to have as minimal wait time as possible. :)
We're staying at a hotel the night before, then parking our car in the long-term parking at the airport (since we're flying back there) and taking a taxi to the port. I don't know how long this will take, but I hope we will be at the terminal around 11:00.
So, is the best time to arrive right at 11 a.m.?
It really depends a lot on luck, because you can never know when a bus or two full of people will pull up!! :D

When we left out of FLL in February on the Zuiderdam, we had prearranged a ride to the ship from our hotel, Hyatt Pier 66. We didn't want to leave the hotel until 1:15 so our driver asked if he could take a group over before us. No problem......but at 1:00 he called to say he would be a bit late because of the traffic.

We were fine with that and had time for him to stop by Walgreens for us to pick up a couple things on the way. There were 6 ships in port that day, our driver collected all of the passports and the security guard looked at each one to match passport with face. Once we were through security to get into the port area getting on the ship was a breeze. The porters were unbelievably friendly.

Have a great cruise!!!!

I understand.....we were on California time so when we boarded at 1:45, there were absolutely no lines, our rooms were ready for us to drop things off, and we were able to get a window table in the Lido for lunch. And I always enjoy a relaxing morning by the pool before we leave.

Have fun!!!!!!!!!! Cherie

If you get on before 12:00p check to see if the main dining room is open for lunch. It was on the Zuiderdam in Dec, and eating there is a heckuva lot nicer and less hectic than eating in the Lido. Not many people check, apparently, because it was mostly empty for us.

Archived