Holland America boarding procedure in Ft. Lauderdale

pablo222

If you get on before 12:00p check to see if the main dining room is open for lunch. It was on the Zuiderdam in Dec, and eating there is a heckuva lot nicer and less hectic than eating in the Lido. Not many people check, apparently, because it was mostly empty for us.

I know on Princess the first cruise we took w/ them..that was true... the Dinning room was open... we did that...I liked it.

I agree checking in and boarding asap. We checked in at 11:30 for Zuidy cruise, then proceeded to book a cooking lesson, then checked with the dining room to see if they were serving lunch. It is a good way to get away from the Lido crowd. They were serving lunch in the dining room for an hour or two. It was quiet and pleasant.:)

I agree checking in and boarding asap. We checked in at 11:30 for Zuidy cruise, then proceeded to book a cooking lesson, then checked with the dining room to see if they were serving lunch. It is a good way to get away from the Lido crowd. They were serving lunch in the dining room for an hour or two. It was quiet and pleasant.:)

Where do you sign up for cooking lesson?

On the Zuidy it was right at the front desk. $29 pp. If you have a suite, the concierge will do it for you. Important to do it right away, as there are only 2 classes per week and they fill quickly. We had the chef from the Pinnacle Grill. He is from India. 12 people is the max. We had 6 women and 6 men. The men wanted to do the cooking--not the chopping. We did a chayote/scallop recipe and then lamb chops. They were excellent. They also have a couple of cooking demos where you sit and watch the chef cook. Then you taste the food he makes. They also offer a kitchen tour on the cruise.

Missing lunch in the dining room is a result of boarding late, but the Lido is also fairly easy to maneuver in. It really is a matter of preference. I know that we would not have enjoyed arriving early so we could have lunch, but more preferred a leisurely morning and no crowds. I also have heard that lunch in the main DR is a very enjoyable way to spend the time before rooms are ready.

They just give us sooooo many wonderful choices!!!!!! And that's what vacations should be! Cherie

Also, I have read that some hotels let you leave your car in their parking lot for the duration of your cruise if you are driving.

Yes... but you have to make sure you get the 'cruise packages' when booking the hotel...

which includes the parking..room, and taxi to ship or shuttle depending on what the hotel uses.

Also, I have read that some hotels let you leave your car in their parking lot for the duration of your cruise if you are driving.
But some limit that to 7 or 10 days (doesn't work for us), and some charge heavily if you over-stay their limit ... like $30 per night! :eek: Just a warning to be sure you ask the terms!

You are correct they do have a limit, we left a car and it was within the range for that hotel, and the card in the windshield just had the date we would return. If you have to get a package I would be concerned. But.....if the hotel offers free parking for 7-10 days and that's what you are looking for, is there a reason to pay parking elsewhere? A call to the hotel directly would probably be a good idea. I am not a fan of travel packages so would ask the hotel directly. Just my preference. Cherie

If you get on before 12:00p check to see if the main dining room is open for lunch. It was on the Zuiderdam in Dec, and eating there is a heckuva lot nicer and less hectic than eating in the Lido. Not many people check, apparently, because it was mostly empty for us.

The dining room is open for lunch at 12:00 noon. If yiou don't want to wait until then, the Lido, or one of the smaller snack areas are open.

We just returned from cruising onboard the Maasdam from Ft. Lauderdale. We stayed at the Best Western Airport/Cruiseport hotel the night before and took their shuttle over to the cruiseport the next morning about 11:30 for a $7.00 charge each (which I think should have been complimentary). We were taken to the cruiseport (in a heavy downpour) and were whisked into the building. Those with verandah or suites had the VIP treatment and were taken elsewhere while the rest of us were immediately taken through security. The staff were SO pleasant and happy to see us. It felt like we were the first guests they had ever seen. Big smiles. My DH looks exactly like Bill Clinton and they made such a big fuss over him - hugs and laughing. It was so much fun. We asked for the Presidential suite but it didn't work. Darn.

We then had to fill out a form (about recent illnesses) and then were taken to a counter to pass over our boarding documents. This was a breeze and only took a few minutes. We then went up an escalator to a waiting area where we were given a number and waited for our number to be called. We only waited about 15 minutes and then away we went - of course passing by the photographer for our onboard picture, and handed our cruise card and proceeded to embark the ship. Very simple, quick and efficient. All along the way, there were smiling staff to direct and assist you.

There was even a cruise employee in the elevator to take us right up to the Lido deck where we could have our lunch. It was SO exciting. This was when we bought our drink card from our waiter and had our first drink - a Mojito !!! So delicious and refreshing. I would highly recommend it if you like fresh mint.

BTW, the rain let up at sailaway and we enjoyed the wonderful views outside at the sailaway party.

Hope this helps.

But some limit that to 7 or 10 days (doesn't work for us), and some charge heavily if you over-stay their limit ... like $30 per night! :eek: Just a warning to be sure you ask the terms!

How many days past their limit are you staying? Three nights at $30 each is better than 10 nights at $15 ...

The dining room is open for lunch at 12:00 noon.
Not on all ships on embarkation day.

How many days past their limit are you staying? Three nights at $30 each is better than 10 nights at $15 ...
We're parking 14.5 days at the airport long-term lot for $9/day ... and driving home direct from there.

If I remember right, the VIP treatment was for verandah and penthouse suite guests.
No, Deluxe Verandah Suite and Penthouse.

We arrived at the check in counter at 12:15. We had dropped off our carry on, changed, and were topside by 12:30. Could not have been better.
"dropped off" and changed where? I have yet to be on a ship where the cabins were ready before 1:30. :confused:

And I have to say that the disembarkation process on HAL was the BEST that we have ever experienced. Stayed in our room, went down at the right time. Big improvement over some of the other lines that we have been on.

Archived