How do you get to Hell?

PictureMom

:) I couldn't resist! We are visiting Grand Cayman on the Freedom in just over a week. Can't wait!

For those of you that have been to Hell (HA HA!) was it worth it? We thought we might go see it if we have time, but where is it? Is it easy to get to? I'm not sure it's worth a cab fare, but if it's walking distance then we might just go. My brother might get a kick out of getting a postcard from Hell! There's so many jokes to be had here. But I'm trying to ask a serious question!:D

Thanks!

I went once...been there done that, actually got the t-shirt. Worth it? Probably not - it was included in the cost of the tour, but to ire a cab to Hell - I'd vote NO.

As for walking - you'd have a snowball's chance in Hell -sorry ... couldn't resist.

It's definitely not walking distance. Take the Green 2 local bus / suburban - it'll drop you off there for about $5 roundtrip pp.

Here a pic from our Legend cruise last year: it's a huge rock formation of what they imagine Hell to look like. There's also places to pose with "the Devil", be an angel or devil, and send postcards home that say "Go to Hell!" =D

hell1eb6.jpg

It's not walking distance. I think it's worthwhile to go ONCE... buy a t-shirt... send your friends some post cards from hell... and then get the hell outta there. ;)

This has gotten fun! I need to get to bed, but I keep checking to see what people have said!

Thanks for the info. and bringing me some smiles before I call it a day! ;)

I don't recommend the Island Tour that goes to Hell (and the turtle farm). It's a hot, overstuffed bus (advertised as an air conditioned coach). I stayed on board and nursed my son while my husband went into the Hell post office and mailed home some post cards.

It's not walking distance. I think it's worthwhile to go ONCE... buy a t-shirt... send your friends some post cards from hell... and then get the hell outta there. ;)

Ditto! I was there (Grand Cayman) three times in the early 90's, all of them "land cruises"--flew there and rented house and car. Hell should only be a one time experience! Postcards to family and friends are the highlight!

BTW, dlo you know the origin of this saying (Going to hell in a hand basket) and the meaning?

No, I don't. I remember my grandmother saying it a lot when she was watching the news ... "the world is going to Hell in a handbasket!"

Hell was very over rated. It's pretty run down. There was trash scattered throughout the rock formations when we went. The viewing area is pretty run down as well. I wouldn't recommend it to my friends. I'd save your money and do something else.

How to get to Hell.....Be meen to your Mommy...LOL

Seriously. First time in Grand Cayman did an "old farts" tour. That is what I call the tours from the ship that do an island tour. Always do them when I get to a new island. It was a good tour. 7 mile beach...Hell.....turtle farm and some other things.

I really liked the turtle farm. They have a cafateria there and they serve turtle steak sandwiches and turtle soup. I had so many people give me funny looks like I was eating Bambi or a bald eagle or something. They got over it when I said it's not called a "farm" for nothing. They keep 75 % and 25% go back to the sea.....I think that's great. Hell was OK. It was on the tour. I did get a cool shirt there though. It had a pic of Floyd the barber from the Andy Griffith show on it. He was bright pink on a black t-shirt and the caption was..."I went to Hell and met PINK FLOYD"....I thought it was a hoot....:p :D

I think everyone should experience Hell once. I agree with bajkej - with 2 teenaged daughters, I visit there everyday - sometimes more than once! But all fun aside - we actually did Hell in December on the Freedom tour. Very touristy - stayed there about 15 minutes on the combo tour we took. If it was part of a tour, and my first time there - fine - but I wouldn't make a special trip back there.

We went to Hell on an island tour a few years ago. It is overrated, nothing much to do - a gift shop, post office - that's about it.

BTW, we mailed postcards at the Hell Post Office and when we returned home they were postmarked Grand Caymen - Hell was no where is sight on the postmark. Somewhat of a letdown.

We had to go to Hell and purchase ice water to put my wife's mother at ease. MIL was worried that we wouldn't be able to get ice water when we went to Hell.

Our postcards said Hell on them...barely could read it, but they said Hell.

Archived