Charlie Soto- paying cash at end?

SunnydayKim

I have a question for all of you that have toured with Charlie Soto in Costa Rica. I have read through the boards and have seen mixed reviews, but mostly good things about the tour; we are up for an adventure... just as long as we make it back to the boat in time!

I am a little concerned about the paying cash at the end; is it Costa Rican currency? USA currency? Do we tip?

Also- should I bring a copy of my email correspondance with them for confirmation of payment amount & tour inclusions?

It says that the zip line (no additional cost) in the email, however I have read that you pay that portion separately. Can someone explain this to me?

Thanks!

Kim

We had a great time on the A-1 tour with Charlie's guide Carlos last December. We paid at the end of the tour with U.S. currency. We added a tip. I think just about everyone did, but there was NO arm-twisting whatsoever. We brought a copy of our e-mail, but it wasn't ever needed. We didn't zip, so I can't help you with that one. I was under the impression that the tour with zipping was priced higher. We got back to port with plenty of time to shop at the port-side market. (Best prices we saw on our cruise)

We went with Charlie's company last week. We combined two tours so that may be why he listed the zip-lining as a separate item. You pay your guide for everything at the end of the tour and I think everyone used U.S. currency. We did tip the guide and the bus driver. Bring a copy for your own peace of mind. We even had 20 minutes to shop at the pier at the end of the tour. You'll have fun.

Lisa,

We just got back from our cruise and used Charlie for the A-1 tour. We had a truly spectacular time! They were right on time at the pier to meet us. We did everything that was listed on the tour. Lunch was also included in the cost of the tour. It was really good. They also provided us with a cooler full of water, sodas or beer that we could have at anytime. George was our guide and he was awesome. Even the driver was great! My mom has a bad back and sometimes has trouble walking so when we went to the farm to walk around and look at the fruits, vegetables, etc that were growing he would go and pick the things to bring back to the car for my mom to see. I would highly recommend these guys to anyone! good luck!

Thanks, g8trzz! Glad to hear you enjoyed your day in Costa Rica.

We've done the Limon side with Oscar Brown and I do think I'm going to book Charlie to see Puntarenas.

Toledo - I've seen mixed reviews on Charlie. What did you think?

I thought our tour guide was very good. Charlie stayed at the dock, directing people to their appropriate bus. I don't know if ended up going out with a group or not. The whole tour was really good. We crammed so much into that day including zip-lining, the farm with the sloth and baby sloth, the banana plantation, the Tortuguara Canals, and the grocery store stop. We left our camera on the tour bus and Charlie is sending it back to us and won't take any money for postage. What a guy!

• 4 weeks later...
I thought our tour guide was very good. Charlie stayed at the dock, directing people to their appropriate bus. I don't know if ended up going out with a group or not. The whole tour was really good. We crammed so much into that day including zip-lining, the farm with the sloth and baby sloth, the banana plantation, the Tortuguara Canals, and the grocery store stop. We left our camera on the tour bus and Charlie is sending it back to us and won't take any money for postage. What a guy!

I paid cash in US dollars at the end of the tour with Charlie. Good experience.

• 6 months later...

just got back from A-1 tour with Charlie..awesome..very professional..if you feel you need to take emails do it..but not necessary..we did Zip lining as well with Jungle Breeze..paid driver at end of tour..A-1 tour is $55 without zip line, $95 with zip line..tip not included..these guys are very good..paid in US currency

I just went with Charlie end of October for an excellent tour B-2. You pay in US cash at the end, and yes, do tip. :)

I also tipped the 4 zip line guides $20 since they were just excellent.

BQ, it is good to see you here after seeing you so often on the AK board. I appreciate your recommendation of a private tour guide since I know that you would not steer us wrong. We are looking forward to our Panama Canal cruise. It should be quite a change from AK!

I just went with Charlie end of October for an excellent tour B-2. You pay in US cash at the end, and yes, do tip. :)

I also tipped the 4 zip line guides $20 since they were just excellent.

We have B-2 booked also and thank you for this reminder, I will bring plenty of $5.00 bills for extra tipping. :D

I have been emailing to Charlie about the B2 tour. His explanation is a little different. Can you tell me just what you did. We also want to zip line. Did you go to the Tarcoles river boat tour? Thanks

B-2 Villa Lapas Canopy Tour - 7 hours

Villa Lapas Zipline 8 platforms (extra charge), Visit Animal Place to see animals such as Coati Mundi, Macaws, Iguanas, Monkeys and others, Jaco Beach & Restaurant (Lunch) beautiful beach and great food, Viewpoint - fabulous view of countyside and Supermarket visit for wonderful Costa Rican Coffee, Vanilla, and much more at great prices.

This is what I did, no boat tour.

How was Villa Lapas? How far is it? I want to do the skywalk there instead of Ziplining. Was going to the animals worth it. Thought to spend a little more time at the beach instead.

Most of our group did the sky walk, reports after were so so at best and I recall, only one brief monkey view?? The Zipline was just excellent, and there were regrets from those who chose the Skywalk there.

You do get a "monkey" stop elsewhere and also have a good opportunity for a look at crocs, with the tour I took.

Budget Queen, Thanks so much for your recommendations. I have read your reviews on the AK boards and value your opinion. I am looking at going in Feb on the A1 tour with my mother. She has breathing problems with exertion and the heat and humidity make it worse. Can you tell me the pace of the tour you took? Is there time to take a rest and how large was the group? I just don't want her to feel bad by holding up a group if it is too much for her. Thanks!

Budget Queen, Thanks so much for your recommendations. I have read your reviews on the AK boards and value your opinion. I am looking at going in Feb on the A1 tour with my mother. She has breathing problems with exertion and the heat and humidity make it worse. Can you tell me the pace of the tour you took? Is there time to take a rest and how large was the group? I just don't want her to feel bad by holding up a group if it is too much for her. Thanks!

This tour, doesn't appear to have anything that would cause exertion?? I would suggest you contact and disclose this to Charlie. Only suggestion would be to request only a VAN type transport, and not something you have to crawl in and out of.

Hello everyone!

My wife and I are plannng on going on the tour with charlie and we have the option of the sky walk of ziplining. My wife will be 12 weeks pregnant, and though were very active, do you think the ziplining is to active for her?

Hello everyone!

My wife and I are plannng on going on the tour with charlie and we have the option of the sky walk of ziplining. My wife will be 12 weeks pregnant, and though were very active, do you think the ziplining is to active for her?

No one here can answer this, consult your health care professional.

As DW has MS, a lot of walking and zip lines are out of the question. I have been in touch with Charle and he has recommended the B-4 tour for us. Has anyone got any observations about this tour and also is it far from the ship to where he picks up and drops off? Thanks for any input.:)

As DW has MS, a lot of walking and zip lines are out of the question. I have been in touch with Charle and he has recommended the B-4 tour for us. Has anyone got any observations about this tour and also is it far from the ship to where he picks up and drops off? Thanks for any input.:)

Take the shuttle from the ship since the dock is real long probably 1/4 mile.(Puntarenas) Problem was, they didn't run until later since all the tour buses were loading and had to back up,coming down the dock. Ask Charlie what his recommendation is.

Just back from the Coral Princess Panama Canal cruise. While in Costa Rica we spent the day with Charlie and his excellent driver Juan. We booked the excursion via email prior to the trip. Everything was as promised and more. Charlie met us at the end of the pier one hour after we docked. He was holding a sign with my name on it so he was easy to find. We (4 of us) joined another 4 people in a very comfortable air conditioned van. Charlie made sure we were comfortable and provided us with water, soda and beer for our ride. Our first stop was at a local roadside for fresh fruit. We then went on to our destination. Where we did the zipline. It was very well run and quite fun (after the initial heart stopping run). The guides were very good and helped us to relax and enjoy the ride.

We had a "typical costa rican lunch" which was very good. FYI - we paid for the zipline/lunch to the place that provided these things which Charlie deducted from the $95 for the tour. Our stop on the way back to the ship was to see the white faced monkeys. It was amazing! We were given pieces of bananas to hand feed the monkeys. They would come out of the trees, open your hand and take out the banana. We all gave the woman who ran the place tips to help pay for the food. Charlie and Okey Dokey tours are the best. You couldn't ask for a more enjoyable tour or a nicer more accommodating guide and driver.

How heart stopping was the ziplining? I do not do rollercoasters....will ziplining be that same sensation? I may chicken out and do the skywalk. Can you control your own speed ziplining on charlie's tour? did you know you were joining 4 other people. we have him booked for the 4 of us.

The zipline was pretty scary at first, but you are strapped into that harness so you are not going to fall. It was fun after I got past the initial run. I also do not do rollercoasters, and no it is a different sensation. Yes, you can control the speed if you want. It is a little tricky but it is possible. In fact my first run I slowed myself down so much that I didn't make it to the next platform. Then I had to pull myself to the platform. After that, I just held on and went for it. They stop you on the end of each run so you don't have to worry about how fast you are going. I would do it again if I had the opportunity. I would have a harder time doing the skywalk...I hate hanging bridges.

We did not know we were joining 4 other people but it was not a problem. Charlie didn't promise that we were going to be alone. I feel he is a very honest person, if you ask him in your email I'm sure you will get an honest answer.

Archived