A 19 year old HAS to be directly across the hall from adults now?

I just tried to book my Alaska cruise, and was told my 19 year old HAS to be directly across the hall from me, or in a cabin next door.

Is this true? He refused to book a cabin 4 cabins down from me...

He said this was implemented 1 week ago, and they are very strict on this.

I would call back and speak to a different agent.

One issue might be that the two cabins you are trying to book do not belong to the same muster station. When booking "children" in a separate cabin, I believe one of the requirements is that you are both assigned to the same lifeboat.

Otherwise, can you book one adult into that room? Once on board, you can switch the room keys at the purser's desk.

I would call back and speak to a different agent.

One issue is that the two cabins you are trying to book do not belong to the same muster station. When booking "children" in a separate cabin, I believe one of the requirements is that you are both assigned to the same lifeboat.

Otherwise, can you book one adult into that room? Once on board, you can switch the room keys at the purser's desk.

I believe that muster station is the real reason.

I just tried to book my Alaska cruise, and was told my 19 year old HAS to be directly across the hall from me, or in a cabin next door.

Is this true? He refused to book a cabin 4 cabins down from me...

He said this was implemented 1 week ago, and they are very strict on this.

If he says that it's a new policy, just a week old, then it is quite possible and *we* haven't heard about it. It IS possible that they know something that we don't. ;) (for once)

Or, the CVP could be wrong. :D

I have sent an email to my GURU.

Last year when I was booking my sister with us I was told I had to have an adult in the same room as her even though it was across the hall...she was 20! And not only did there have to be an adult, but that adult had to be OVER 25! The original room we wanted was 5 cabins away and I was told absolutely not unless there was an over 25 in the room with her. So same deal.

Just got off the phone with the resolution department. NO more cabins down the hall, no exceptions. Has nothing to do with muster station either. :(

OK - so do you have two adults in your party that you can book one into each cabin? It would only be temporary for booking purposes, and then once you get onto the ship, you can switch up the keys at the purser's desk.

I'm a bit disappointed if this is truly a new rule - I've often booked my teens into their own cabin, which wasn't always directly across the hall - sometimes it was a door or two diagonally across from ours. But, in the future, I'd get around the rule by booking my husband into one cabin with one of our teens, and booking myself into the other cabin with my other teen. Then, once onboard, we'd sort out the keys.

OK - so do you have two adults in your party that you can book one into each cabin? It would only be temporary for booking purposes, and then once you get onto the ship, you can switch up the keys at the purser's desk.

I'm a bit disappointed if this is truly a new rule - I've often booked my teens into their own cabin, which wasn't always directly across the hall - sometimes it was a door or two diagonally across from ours. But, in the future, I'd get around the rule by booking my husband into one cabin with one of our teens, and booking myself into the other cabin with my other teen. Then, once onboard, we'd sort out the keys.

No, just me and my 4 sons (my oldest is 19, then 10, 11 and 13).

Last year when I was booking my sister with us I was told I had to have an adult in the same room as her even though it was across the hall...she was 20! And not only did there have to be an adult' date=' but that adult had to be OVER 25! The original room we wanted was 5 cabins away and I was told absolutely not unless there was an over 25 in the room with her. So same deal.[/quote']

That is fricken insane. I probably would have screamed!...well inside my head anyways. It must be something new b/c on my first cruise it was just me and my friend and were both under 25 at the time.

Sorry to the OP - this really sucks :( Is there any chance you could afford to book a room that can hold you all?

Last year when I was booking my sister with us I was told I had to have an adult in the same room as her even though it was across the hall...she was 20! And not only did there have to be an adult' date=' but that adult had to be OVER 25! The original room we wanted was 5 cabins away and I was told absolutely not unless there was an over 25 in the room with her. So same deal.[/quote']

Were you on another cruiseline like Carnival?

Most all of the cruise lines have to be 25. Princess is only 21. You can look in the back of the brochure's and it will tell you the age limit rule

If that's true then how to all these spring breakers go? They wouldn't be 25 or older in most cases.

Most all of the cruise lines have to be 25. Princess is only 21. You can look in the back of the brochure's and it will tell you the age limit rule

RCCL's has been 21, not 25, for a while.

We had the same problem when we called 2 days ago, we were told that our 20,19 and 17 year olds had to be next to or directly across from us. We ended up booking cabins next to each other (our preference). We did consider booking an adult into each room and then switching on board if we had to.

I don't understand, does that mean you have to be older than 19 to book a cruise? I thought it would be 18 or older to book. Can you just book your sons seperate from your's? I think the muster idea is a good idea, if that were the case. I just don't get it!?

Last year when I was booking my sister with us I was told I had to have an adult in the same room as her even though it was across the hall...she was 20! And not only did there have to be an adult' date=' but that adult had to be OVER 25! The original room we wanted was 5 cabins away and I was told absolutely not unless there was an over 25 in the room with her. So same deal.[/quote']That's Carnival's rule, not RCL's. Anyone 21 years old can go on a Royal Caribbean cruise without an older adult..

I don't understand, does that mean you have to be older than 19 to book a cruise? I thought it would be 18 or older to book. Can you just book your sons seperate from your's? I think the muster idea is a good idea, if that were the case. I just don't get it!?

Royal's rule is at least one person booked in the cabin has to be at least 21. Other lines have placed that number as high as 25 unless the young couple could prove they were married.

I think it's to keep wild hordes of college spring-breakers at bay. Can you imagine having a ship overrun with 18-20 year olds, packed 4 to a room to save money?

Just heard from my TA- He said it's not true. He just booked kids 5 doors down from parents yesterday. I think my kids are atleast 4 doors down in an inside cabin.:confused:

Have him call RCCL. I just took it further up and was told again that it was a new rule just implemented last week. The only way around this (and your TA may have done this) is to book one parent in each cabin for 'show' only. I do not have that option as I am a single parent.

Archived