Port Said for Pyramids

AC-cruiser

Hi all, im sure this question has been asked before but I am considering an itinerary that calls at Port Said for Cairo, from 6am - 9pm. Can you do the pyramids from there and still have enough time to see them? Do cruise lines tend to do excursions from Port Said to the pyramids?

This is what we plan on doing in 09. We dock in Port Said and plan on taking a private tour from there to Giza, staying overnite in Cairo then picking our ship back up in Alex. the next day. Getting back to your query~ ~ ~from all that I've read so far you going back and forth to Giza and time viewing the Pyramids can all be done in a single day~ ~ ~it might 1/2 kill you but it's doable & the tours & guides know your problem and do their best for you to be able to do it. Check it out. :D

Hi all, im sure this question has been asked before but I am considering an itinerary that calls at Port Said for Cairo, from 6am - 9pm. Can you do the pyramids from there and still have enough time to see them? Do cruise lines tend to do excursions from Port Said to the pyramids?

Would help if you stated which cruise line / ship and itinerary.

Most cruise lines offer such excursions, I believe mainly from Alexandria. Trips (by bus) takes about 3 hours to get there. inlcudes the Pyramids, meal (hotel on on the Nile), museum visit or moshque visits. Then a papryrus and gold shop visit (poor cruise lines have to make some money).

Total time about 13 hours.

Becareful about arranging private or non cruise line excursions, as the cruise line has no obligation to wait for you. On our Eastern Mediterranean trip we set out on the excursion (from the cruise line) from Alexandria and were due to embark in the evening from Port Said, as the weather got bad the ship staid in Alexandria. The ship informed our guides and we returned to Alexandria. Some passengers who arranged private trips returned to Port Said - NO SHIP. It cost them almost double the original excursion price to get the organisor to take them back to Alexandria.

Ron

OK, all taken on board. The plan would be to take a ships tour (if i book the cruise) but Ocean Village have never done that port before and don't have any shore excursion information yet. Thanks for replying, glad i know it can be done.

Which is still cheaper than the ship's tour!!

You have taken the one sentence out of context, no one is disputing the fact that cruise line excursions are dearer than making one's own arrangements.

I was stating the fact that one should be careful where the disembarcation and embarcations for an excursion are different, if you hit any problems then you are on your own.

Ron

COLOR=blue]This is what we plan on doing in 09. We dock in Port Said and plan on taking a private tour from there to Giza, staying overnite in Cairo then picking our ship back up in Alex. the next day.

Steve,

I hope you've gotten this straightened out since last week when you posted this...but, you have us docking in Port Said first, then being in Alexandria the next day...

According to the Oceania website, we're in Alexandria from noon to 7 on DAY SEVEN, then in Port Said (6 am to 8 pm) the following day--Day 8...

I guess it works out about the same, but make sure your arrangements are correct!

I was stating the fact that one should be careful where the disembarcation and embarcations for an excursion are different, if you hit any problems then you are on your own.

Ron

I think it's a shame to pass up a privately organized tour when they can be sooo much better (our overnight with Nile Blue Tours certainly was). If this is a concern I'm sure that the tour guide would be more than happy to make a call to the port to check the status of the sailing before leaving Cairo. That could be requested in the original correspondence with the tour operator, requesting that you be "returned to the ship" (wherever that might be).

It's a good point though and I'm glad you brought it up. As a matter of fact, whenever I plan an event I try to run through my mind all the things that might go wrong and try to (a) do something so that it can't go wrong, or (b) have an alternate plan to resolve the problem. In this instance that phone call would avoid any awful problems like the one your group experienced.

Archived