Maybe it's the title "Senior"

Richard in Panama

Elderhostel is a non-profit travel/educational experience for those over 55. I believe only one person of two traveling together has to be 55.

Look them up online at elderhostel.org and ask for a catalog.

Alice

Sorry, I've been off cruising . . . 50 days on VOLENDAM this Spring . . . and as we all know Internet on board is expensive!

I'd like to respond a little to MM's comments in response to my OP:

As a senior, what I would like is -

• longer in ports (5 hours in Barcelona is almost a deal breaker for me)
  • feature port stops in unique places, such as the Panama Canal (in lieu of just sailing through, which is a deal breaker for me)
  • guest speakers/educational focus (one can only take so much bingo, art auctions, horse racing, etc.)
  • language lessions (basic conversational level suitable for tourists)
  • basic written information provided on ports of call, including mud maps
  • quiet corner to just sit, relax and read a book, whilst enjoying the sea breeze
  • a more efficient system for getting people, who aren't going on ship excursions, off the ships at ports of call, when using tenders.

I think there is a noticeable disconnect often between what guests want and what the "home office" thinks guests want. You wonder how much marketing research cruise lines actually do, or if they really do understand their market niche.

It may be bad form to quote oneself, but . . . as I note in today's blog [http://www.richarddetrich.wordpress.com] .. .

As cruise lines try to cope with increasing fuel costs while remaining competitive, there is more and more pressure to “peel the onion” and cut costs where ever possible. The only problem with “peeling the onion” is that eventually there’s nothing left. Most of the major cruise lines have started making noticeable cuts in entertainment. The idea is to create the illusion of big-time entertainment while at the same time slashing budgets. Production shows are more and more like high school musicals, very well done, but with unseasoned and hardly “professional” talent. Cruise lines have been hit with lawsuits alleging copyright infringement on Broadway plays, so don’t look for your old favorite and familiar show tunes. Shows have become thin theme productions using song snippets, presumably to remain within copyright laws. Variety act more and more feature ex amusement park and street performers who have gussied up their acts to go to sea. Lecture-type presentations are being cut in favor of art “auctions” and diamond, jewelry and spa “lectures” that produce on-board revenue.

There often appears a distinct disconnect between guest demographics and response and home office perceptions and programs leaving one wondering if the folks at the home office have ever actually taken cruises as passengers.

No where is this more true than in the cruise lecture/enrichment/whatever area. As cruise lines have decided to rake in most of the bingo money, even bingo is sparsely attended. (God forbid!!!) On the VOLENDAM for Canal lectures - of course they were Canal cruises - it was standing room only in the big show lounge for lectures.

IMHO there is room in the crowded cruise industry mix for a cruise line that caters, not so much to "seniors" per se, but to people who want to stretch, and learn and explore . . . who love classical music and jazz, as well as other genres . . . and who want more than glitz. Both Holland America and Celebrity flirt with this group, but can't quite "let go" of the glitz and schmaltz. My guess is that Azamara may be going to try . . . but I haven't had any experience with them.

Regards, Richard

• 1 month later...

I've also been away........... Glorious 7 week land trip to tropical Northern Queensland.

Enjoyed your insight and comments, Richard.

Travel is a perishable product. If the cruise industry doesn't meet the needs of this niche market, travellers will make other choices.

Hopefully, in these troubling times, with increasing fuel costs, the fall in the US$, etc., the cruise industry is looking for new opportunities to grow the cruise market. One way would be to meet the needs of this age group, with their continuing thirst for knowledge, a love of travel and the time to do it.

Sorry, I've been off cruising . . . 50 days on VOLENDAM this Spring . . . and as we all know Internet on board is expensive! ....

Regards, Richard

50 days at sea? you're killing me. I'm so jealous! :rolleyes:

For 50 days at sea, I'd have to go back some years and start saving :o . I could never do it. I'm having withdrawals becuz I don't have something booked right now!

I'm one of the few people that looked forward to 55th b'day this past May to be eligible for senior discounts. Hey! I know seniors dont get much of a deal; but when you turn 55, it helps to find the silver lining :p.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I am well over 55+ and have been on the board for eons but this is the first time I am checking it out.

Richard you are so right about the glitz and bingo. More lectures on the history of the ports would be great and definitely on RCCI more ballroom dancing. I am doing RCCI till I make diamond but I really think it is geared for the younger crowd. They just happen to go out of a port near us so airfare and hassle is avoided.

I appreciate a good ship's library. I was raised in an era where people actually read books rather than watched TV every evening and on a cruise I love to sit on my balcony and read and watch the sea but books are heavy to pack and I always seem to run out before the cruise is over. And I too would love to see more educational talks/lectures.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Cruisers,

My wife and I fit the pattern here, over 55 and about 18 cruises behind us. I agree that most folks gather info for their cruises on the Roll Calls for the cruise they are taking. We've met friends on the Roll Calls and had the pleasure of cruising with them later. Just did this on the Ruby Inaugural and plan to continue with some folks on the Ruby TA in 2009. Most of the people we've met (through Cruise Critic) are very computer literate.

For those who want to carry books on cruises, look up the Kindle on Amazon.com. It is a small thin device that allows you to download books cheaply. Amazon has books available for download. I've seen it on the recent Ruby cruise and the folks that have it seem very pleased with it. It may be a b'day present for the wife!

Richard, good luck with the thread. It give me one more place to look on Cruise Critic!

Bill

We are on the Zuiderdam Dec.9. We don't know the ship but it will be interesting to see if there are some quiet areas.There are some sea days during which I will probably like to read. Based on past experience, I will have a hard time finding a quiet spot to read, other than in our inside cabin. Libraries are often placed near busy noisy areas. Lounges are dark at times. I spent one cruise moving from area to area during the day until the noise level at each became too much for me. Our first cruise was interesting. It was a Princess ship with the library by the atrium where a piano was located. I was peacefully reading in the library one afternoon when a lady decided to play and sing at the piano. She more or less wailed rather than sang. Eventually we could only laugh. So this "senior" would appreciate some better ship design for those wanting some quiet time.

On past cruises, I recall Celebrity had a quiet library. I've just booked Oosterdam TA and the primary reason is to avoid noise and glitz. I enjoy sea days reading in the Library and on the outside Promenade. Many ships today, unfortunately no longer have a traditional outer promenade deck.

• 3 weeks later...

It takes me a while to come up with the courage to try my 1st solo cruise and thinking of going on the Holland America's Oosterdam on the Jan 24th for 7 days sailing. Before I make the deposit, I would like to know if anyone has any suggestions on where to get the best price for a single passenger. H A will charge me 150%, I also checked with a couple of on- line agents, their rates are the same.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated

It takes me a while to come up with the courage to try my 1st solo cruise and thinking of going on the Holland America's Oosterdam on the Jan 24th for 7 days sailing. Before I make the deposit, I would like to know if anyone has any suggestions on where to get the best price for a single passenger. H A will charge me 150%, I also checked with a couple of on- line agents, their rates are the same.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated

My best deal has always been within at least a month of cruising. That is when you can really get a bargain as well as no supplement in some situations. I wouldn't let that keep you from doing a solo. You will find that whatever price you pay it is an exhiliariating experience either way. Good luck and happy cruising. Get ready to be addicted to solo cruising. There is no other thing that compares.

Senior? HA! If turning 55 automatically turns you into a helpless, dimwitted old turd, I guess I'm doomed!

This AARP card carrying "old turd" is taking full advantage of his age!

We booked our April, 2009 cruise LAST December at the full price (at age 54), and since have reduced the price of our cabin by $170 each, thanks to the "senior" discount.

Oh yeah, it sucks to be "old", eh?;)

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with other posters that more educational opportunities would be very welcome. I usually enjoy the entertainment opportunities and stay busy with occasional bingo and might even attend an art "auction" out of curiosity; however, I would really enjoy some lecture opportunities. Learning more about ports (other than shopping - more history, nature & attraction oriented) while on board would definitely be welcomed. I would even enjoy educational information about other cruise itineraries offered by the line so one could think ahead. We have most recently sailed RCI and will be aboard the Sapphire Princess on Jan. 10 for our first Princess cruise. I haven't cruised on Holland America for many years (pre-Carnival ownership), but it was a wonderful experience when I did. If they led the way in offering more educational experiences, it would definitely be an incentive to seek out HAL sailings! I do hope the cruise lines "listen" to the comments made.

On another note, I always think I'm going to read on board but have trouble finding time to do it. Nonetheless, I think providing quiet reading spots - especially with the view of the water - would be very welcomed. Having more balcony cabins is great, but it has taken away that promenade reading experience.

By the way, this was the first time I noticed and visited the 55+ discussion. Thank you for raising a good topic of interest.

This separate thread for Seniors is an opportunity for seniors to express what they would like the cruise industry, as a whole, to offer them.

As Richard in Panama said, seniors are often in the majority on cruise ships, so should have a louder voice.

As a senior, what I would like is -

• longer in ports (5 hours in Barcelona is almost a deal breaker for me)
  • feature port stops in unique places, such as the Panama Canal (in lieu of just sailing through, which is a deal breaker for me)
  • guest speakers/educational focus (one can only take so much bingo, art auctions, horse racing, etc.)
  • language lessions (basic conversational level suitable for tourists)
  • basic written information provided on ports of call, including mud maps
  • quiet corner to just sit, relax and read a book, whilst enjoying the sea breeze
  • a more efficient system for getting people, who aren't going on ship excursions, off the ships at ports of call, when using tenders.

What would you like?

I agree! (well, except for the quiet place, since our balcony usually provides that).

I, too, would like to see longer times in the ports. I'd be happy to go to fewer ports in favor of spending more time. This is particularly true when the port is a good distance from the city, or, as previously mentioned there's a great deal to see (Barcelona, Rome, etc.).

Yes! Guest speakers, and, please, more focus on the arts, crafts, cuisine, history (anything!) of the ports being visited, instead of where the local D. I. and other preferred shops are located. I don't cruise to go shopping!

We did the partial Panama Canal cruise in December and really enjoyed having some sea days to relax in between ports and shore excursions. And, by the way, Richard in Panama was the "travel guide and lecturer" on this Zuiderdam cruise. He was a highlight of the cruise. Thank you Richard.

It was still difficult to find quiet places to read. The cafe/library is with the Crows Nest, rather noisy. There were a few bar areas that were somewhat quiet during the day but those spots had to be searched for.

I think we will continue to look for cruises that have at least a few sea days. Therefore, I don't know if we will ever get to the typical port intensive Italy/Med type of cruise. Our next is the Crown Princess going to Norway, Iceland and one stop in Belfast (round trip Southampton). There are at least a few sea days.

Alice

I definitely like the idea of more education/guest speakers. I took my first Elderhostel trip recently and I loved it.

I so agree with the many posters who would like something interesting and thought provoking while we're cruising.....

I cruise with a Service Dog; I'm over 55 and I would love to do a demonstration on what Service Dogs can and can not do. I would love to talk about dog behavior/feeding/exercising/training, etc., etc.

So many people approach me while onboard with my SD and ask so many questions.....They're missing their own furbabies and are so curious about mine (who happens to be cruising with them!)

I'd love to answer the questions in a more public forum; such as a lounge or mini-theatre...I know the place would be filled to the brim.

You know who's most curious about the Service Dog? Older folks (like me) and children.......

What do you think? :confused:

I would love to see something like your suggesting. Most people are animal lovers and I, speaking for myself would have all kinds of interest in coming to listen to What he/she has been trained to do and what limitaions there would be.

I hear this all the time from my fellow cruisers. Now, if someone will tell me who to contact.....I'll try to stir-up some interest from Princess (our cruiseline of choice!) And, we'll see where it goes.

"Brenda" - "Service Dog Extraordinaire" will be on her 11th cruise in April and 12th in December. She'd be so helpful in showing the public what she does and, I could even invite someone up to direct her in performing tasks. It could be fun for all!

[

So many people approach me while onboard with my SD and ask so many questions.....They're missing their own furbabies and are so curious about mine (who happens to be cruising with them!)

I'd love to answer the questions in a more public forum; such as a lounge or mini-theatre...I know the place would be filled to the brim.

You know who's most curious about the Service Dog? Older folks (like me) and children.......

I think that would be a wonderful idea. I know I have tons of questions, as my brother is a quadraplegic,has a service dog and would love to cruise. He has asked me and I've done some research, but to learn from someone first hand would be wonderful.

I think that would be a wonderful idea. I know I have tons of questions, as my brother is a quadraplegic,has a service dog and would love to cruise. He has asked me and I've done some research, but to learn from someone first hand would be wonderful.

Please refer to the "Handicapped Cruising" segment of these boards (it's located at the bottom) and you will find a thread "Cruising with a Service Dog." All of your brothers and your questions will be answered there.....and, please don't hesitate to interject your thoughts and questions.

There's so many people on that board who love to cruise with their dogs and will be very helpful to both of you.

Cruising with our Service Dog is a pure joy.....I can't even imagine doing it without her! She loves it and makes it so much more fun!!!!

Archived