Maybe it's the title "Senior"

Richard in Panama

That's great to hear! I hope he reads it all and takes advantage of the opportunity to cruise with his Service Dog! He will love it!

The cruise ships are becoming more and more helpful and thoughtful towards the Service Dog because of wonderful folks who paved the way for everyone else! :)

• 3 weeks later...
This separate thread for Seniors is an opportunity for seniors to express what they would like the cruise industry, as a whole, to offer them.

As Richard in Panama said, seniors are often in the majority on cruise ships, so should have a louder voice.

As a senior, what I would like is -

• longer in ports (5 hours in Barcelona is almost a deal breaker for me)
  • feature port stops in unique places, such as the Panama Canal (in lieu of just sailing through, which is a deal breaker for me)
  • guest speakers/educational focus (one can only take so much bingo, art auctions, horse racing, etc.)
  • language lessions (basic conversational level suitable for tourists)
  • basic written information provided on ports of call, including mud maps
  • quiet corner to just sit, relax and read a book, whilst enjoying the sea breeze
  • a more efficient system for getting people, who aren't going on ship excursions, off the ships at ports of call, when using tenders.

What would you like?

It should appear obvious from the fact that I am responding to a year old posting that I don't check this board much. That is because although I am 70 and my wife is close to my age, we just don't identify ourselves by age. We would agree with all of the points made by MMDown Under except perhaps the mud maps. We seem to have no problem finding mud. :) I guess it is our youthful outlook. Another point that we would add is ports that are interesting. Putting into a port with little to offer beyond shopping may do for the Caribbean or Alaska, but ports like Aarhus, Kiel, Warnemunde and the like that require long rides to get to places of interest are a waste IMHO. More time is spent traveling to and from than is spent sightseeing and the tours also cost much more than for touring places like Barcelona, Naples, Venice, etc.

Steve

Senior? HA! If turning 55 automatically turns you into a helpless, dimwitted old turd, I guess I'm doomed!

This AARP card carrying "old turd" is taking full advantage of his age!

We booked our April, 2009 cruise LAST December at the full price (at age 54), and since have reduced the price of our cabin by $170 each, thanks to the "senior" discount.

Oh yeah, it sucks to be "old", eh?;)

I turn 55 this summer and I definitely plan to use my discounts from where ever. Krogers has a senior day on Wed. and Ross Has one I think on Wed. also.

Give me whatever title -if I will gain from it-I will use it!

It should appear obvious from the fact that I am responding to a year old posting that I don't check this board much. That is because although I am 70 and my wife is close to my age, we just don't identify ourselves by age. We would agree with all of the points made by MMDown Under except perhaps the mud maps. We seem to have no problem finding mud. :) I guess it is our youthful outlook. Another point that we would add is ports that are interesting. Putting into a port with little to offer beyond shopping may do for the Caribbean or Alaska, but ports like Aarhus, Kiel, Warnemunde and the like that require long rides to get to places of interest are a waste IMHO. More time is spent traveling to and from than is spent sightseeing and the tours also cost much more than for touring places like Barcelona, Naples, Venice, etc.

Steve

I agree. It is the interesting ports of call, spectacular scenery and wildlife which attract us to a particular cruise in the first instance.

We're not into shopping at any port of call, with our current weak currency.

Last cruise, we spent an enjoyable day independently visiting Casablanca, rather than take a long bus trip to Marrakesh, which was a tough choice.

PS A "mud map", slang for a rough map, slipped in. :)

I agree. It is the interesting ports of call, spectacular scenery and wildlife which attract us to a particular cruise in the first instance.

We're not into shopping at any port of call, with our current weak currency.

Last cruise, we spent an enjoyable day independently visiting Casablanca, rather than take a long bus trip to Marrakesh, which was a tough choice.

PS A "mud map", slang for a rough map, slipped in. :)

We would have to agree as to what constitutes an interesting port of call. I am not familiar with what advantage Marrakesh would have over Casablanca because both sound intriguing to me.

Thanks for the clarification about the "mud" maps. Learn something new every day.

Steve

• 3 weeks later...

I love the suggestion about more time in port.

Also like the suggestion about lectures on the history, culture, art, cuisine of the people of the area.

Does anyone know which cruise line offers that sort of enrichment experience?

The quietest ships with the best libraries that we have found is Oceania. One cruise had great lectures, the other didn't.

I just joined and posted my first reply on the first sticky. The questions were the same from those posters as well soncerning why this forum has been quiet. When I saw this listed, I thought it would be more directed to considerations or benifits that we 55+ people might need to know about or get. I thought I might get some insights into what port activities might be best for my hockey knees. All of these things may be here. I'm just going to have to poke around untill I find them.

I love the suggestion about more time in port.

Also like the suggestion about lectures on the history, culture, art, cuisine of the people of the area.

Does anyone know which cruise line offers that sort of enrichment experience?

The quietest ships with the best libraries that we have found is Oceania. One cruise had great lectures, the other didn't.

We found Elderhostel provided excellent enrichment experiences in both Alaska and Holland. Our cruise of the Rivers of Holland included lectures on the waterways of Holland, art, war, and culture, which married perfectly with land tours of places of interest en route.

I also would like to hear from anyone who has been on a cruise line which offers enrichment experiences.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This is the first time I have checked this forum - I do not define myself by age and usually read the cruise line specific forums for my favourite lines. Tonight I had some spare time, so looked further!

I would agree that enrichment lectures are appealing. On our recent Zuiderdam cruise we both enjoyed Richard's talks. Thanks for the information which was presented in such an interesting way. Last Spring we did a 14 day Australia and New Zealand cruise, and there were three enrichment lecturers on board. The ports of call talks were useful - they were not shopping talks thank goodness. The other two speakers were a Marine Biologist (interesting topics but not great delivery) and a speaker about how the area was affected during WW2 (I learned a lot from these talks).

These lectures were not mentioned in any of the pre-cruise info, but if I was deciding between two cruises, the one with a more comprehensive enrichment programme would be the one I would choose.

Sheila

• 2 weeks later...
This is the first time I have checked this forum - I do not define myself by age and usually read the cruise line specific forums for my favourite lines. Tonight I had some spare time, so looked further!

I would agree that enrichment lectures are appealing. On our recent Zuiderdam cruise we both enjoyed Richard's talks. Thanks for the information which was presented in such an interesting way. Last Spring we did a 14 day Australia and New Zealand cruise, and there were three enrichment lecturers on board. The ports of call talks were useful - they were not shopping talks thank goodness. The other two speakers were a Marine Biologist (interesting topics but not great delivery) and a speaker about how the area was affected during WW2 (I learned a lot from these talks).

These lectures were not mentioned in any of the pre-cruise info, but if I was deciding between two cruises, the one with a more comprehensive enrichment programme would be the one I would choose.

Sheila

Strange that the lectures were not mentioned in any of the pre-cruise information, as well presented enrichment lectures, complimenting the ports of call, would be a attraction for many cruisers.

RE: Enrichment series

We have been on several ships offering enrichment series. The Cunard ships have especially interesting lecturers. Our last Celebrity sail aboard the Solstice featured a great series about composers (Cole Porter, Gershwin, etc.). I prefer the historical or informational type lectures to the "learn how to do digital pictures" that seems to be the only offering on some ships.

Call me what you want--Senior, Golden Ager, Grandma--I'm enjoying "my time" of life.

Smiles and Happy cruising!!

RE: Enrichment series

We have been on several ships offering enrichment series. The Cunard ships have especially interesting lecturers. Our last Celebrity sail aboard the Solstice featured a great series about composers (Cole Porter, Gershwin, etc.). I prefer the historical or informational type lectures to the "learn how to do digital pictures" that seems to be the only offering on some ships.

Call me what you want--Senior, Golden Ager, Grandma--I'm enjoying "my time" of life.

Smiles and Happy cruising!!

Did they complement the series of lectures on composers with a pianist playing the composer's music on the piano?

I agree that it is a wonderful time of life.

From a travel perspective, it is great to be able to travel whenever you wish, and for as long as you like, without having to get leave approval.

The couple that did the enrichment series on the Solstice were great. Marlene sang and Chet played the keyboard. I thought they had a Broadway background but it turned out she was a microbiologist and he a dentist--both retired and enjoying their new adventure.

What a wonderful treat for you and fellow passengers.

Now that the lecturers are retired, they have time to follow their musical passion.

(As a lover of all musical theatre - professional and amateur - I've long known that the best singers are often not the ones on stage.)

Best lecture-Sea Princess 2006, Caribbean, about the geology of the Carib. Best library-NCL Jade, quiet, comfortable, help yourself to books 24hrs, and tea and coffee provided, and P&O Aurora with big comfy chairs and a vast jigsaw always on the go!-jocap.

Best lecture-Sea Princess 2006, Caribbean, about the geology of the Carib. Best library-NCL Jade, quiet, comfortable, help yourself to books 24hrs, and tea and coffee provided, and P&O Aurora with big comfy chairs and a vast jigsaw always on the go!-jocap.

Sounds like these are ships I'd like to travel on.

Sounds like these are ships I'd like to travel on.

I believe NCL Jewel and Gem are the same design as Jade, AND these two sail from the US in winter. P&O ships spend a lot of time in the Caribbean in winter, so you could perhaps do a cruise only.-jocap.

Enrichment lectures on the ship is one of the reasons I'm looking at Elderhostel cruisetours. I did a land program to Sarvannah with them and it greatly enhanced my enjoyment of the city. Afterwards I visited Charleston on my own and I could really tell the difference.

Princess has the scholarship at sea program, but a lot of what they offer has nothing to do with the ports we're visiting and do not interest me. I'd rather they offer more in depth information about the ports rather than classes on topics that can be taken at a local community college.

Enrichment lectures on the ship is one of the reasons I'm looking at Elderhostel cruisetours. I did a land program to Sarvannah with them and it greatly enhanced my enjoyment of the city. Afterwards I visited Charleston on my own and I could really tell the difference.

Princess has the scholarship at sea program, but a lot of what they offer has nothing to do with the ports we're visiting and do not interest me. I'd rather they offer more in depth information about the ports rather than classes on topics that can be taken at a local community college.

We enjoyed excellent cruise tours of Alaska and Holland with Elderhostel, combined with independent land content. The Elderhostel programmes really enhanced our travels to both these countries. It was a joy to travel with people who shared our appreciation of the benefits of lifelong learning.

We love Elderhostel programs but can only do the US lower-48 based programming. The others are too high in cost, including the cruisetours. So we continue to hope that some good lectures will occur on the HAL or Princess cruises we will typically buy.

Alice

We love Elderhostel programs but can only do the US lower-48 based programming. The others are too high in cost, including the cruisetours. So we continue to hope that some good lectures will occur on the HAL or Princess cruises we will typically buy.

Alice

I agree Elderhostel is expensive, especially with the conversion from the weak Australian dollar.

However, we were visiting Alaska independently travelling on the Alaskan Marine Highway, so added the Elderhostel programme to that. We included the Rivers of Holland, as a last minute special (we were travelling independently in Germany and Holland, on a German/Holland rail pass, and an around the world ticket).

In those circumstances, we felt we got good value.

Does anyone really buy the art at sea???? I find these and the 'diamond' lectures very cheesy.

I sailed on the NCL Spirit in January and found many places during the day to read. It was not always quiet though. I did not understand why there weren't more lounge chairs on the decks away from the pool. They are just packed onto the pool deck so that you can hardly walk between them.

Lectures, yes my DH and I would go.

Archived