Valencia, Spain

We're on our first transatlantic to the Med this May, neither of us have ever been to Europe. We need ideas/help with what to do in Valencia. We'll be there on our 5th anniversary, and haven't signed up for a shore excursion. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Valencia is still relatively undiscovered as a tourist destination, but you can.......

Try typical foods/drinks - paella and horchata originate in Valencia.

One of the greatest pleasures in any Spanish city is to hop from bar to bar, sipping a drink and sampling tapas.

Visit the Ciudad de Las Artes y de las Ciencias - Valencia's newest and biggest tourists attraction

http://www.cac.es/

Enjoy your anniversary

Steve

You can enjoy the 2 beautiful squares by the cathedral- orange trees, fountains, cafes. There is a hop on off bus- the ride lasts an hour and a half, from cathedral square. The whole city is full of charm and lovely architecture. The city of science buildings are ultra modern and stunning.

There is also a beach very close to the port entrance- we didn't see it ourselves but others said it was very nice.

The only drawback for us when we were there last Thursday was the fact that the port shuttle drops you off in a "nowhere" place that needs another bus ride to get to the centre, and it's quite difficult to find the port shuttle to get back again. The tourist information office in the terminal gave out good maps and marked the locations for us. By the way- weather was glorious- 26 degrees! a couple of websites-

http://www.valencia-tourist-travel-guide.com/things-to-do-in-valencia.html

http://www.virtourist.com/europe/valencia/index.html

I was there last October. It's a beautiful city with great old architecture. They had a free shuttle bus that took you right into the center of town. Lots of nice places to walk, shop and eat.

Valencia, a great city, take the shuttle (every 1/2 hr) to downtown, it'll drop you off at the bullring, then walk 10 minutes to downtown, explore the city, the cathedral ( we climbed up the tower, 2 euros,treacherous and long, but what a view) and have a drink/lunch on one of the squares surrounding the church, you will love it!!

I highly recommend visiting the Mercado Central, a beautiful, HUGE, covered market in a turn of the 20th century glass and iron building. It's in the old city. We bought jabon iberico (similar to prosciutto) and they vacumn pack it. Delicious!

• 1 year later...

We were there last year as part of a world cruise. It was our first time there and it was one of the nicest cities we have visited.

The cruise ship terminal is about 30 minutes from the downtown area.

Spend time walking around the old town area. It is quite nice

I highly recommend going to the Panoramic Valencia & L’Oceanographic Aquarium. It was fabulous. The aquarium is the largest in Europe and is actually the third largest in the entire world. The aquarium is divided into two major sections. One section is comprised of fish and invertebrates and the second section is comprised of marine mammals.

The L’Oceanografic contains more than 45,000 examples of 500 different marine species. It has extensive underwater areas featuring sharks, beluga whales, walruses, sea lions, penguins and manta rays.

We also saw a dolphin show and we walked several areas of the aquarium where we saw many species of fish, penguins, turtles, beluga whale and other sea creatures.

We also visited the City of Arts and Sciences This facility contains an opera house and performing arts center, a science museum, an IMAX cinema/planetarium, several restaurants and an oceanographic park.

The areas of the city that we saw were amazing. We were very impressed with both the old town area and the new areas of the center. The newer areas had a feel of other areas we had visited during the World Cruise such as Sydney with the opera house in this city having a look similar to that of Sydney.

Keith

We were there last year as part of a world cruise. It was our first time there and it was one of the nicest cities we have visited.

The cruise ship terminal is about 30 minutes from the downtown area.

Spend time walking around the old town area. It is quite nice

I highly recommend going to the Panoramic Valencia & L’Oceanographic Aquarium. It was fabulous. The aquarium is the largest in Europe and is actually the third largest in the entire world. The aquarium is divided into two major sections. One section is comprised of fish and invertebrates and the second section is comprised of marine mammals.

The L’Oceanografic contains more than 45,000 examples of 500 different marine species. It has extensive underwater areas featuring sharks, beluga whales, walruses, sea lions, penguins and manta rays.

We also saw a dolphin show and we walked several areas of the aquarium where we saw many species of fish, penguins, turtles, beluga whale and other sea creatures.

We also visited the City of Arts and Sciences This facility contains an opera house and performing arts center, a science museum, an IMAX cinema/planetarium, several restaurants and an oceanographic park.

The areas of the city that we saw were amazing. We were very impressed with both the old town area and the new areas of the center. The newer areas had a feel of other areas we had visited during the World Cruise such as Sydney with the opera house in this city having a look similar to that of Sydney.

Keith

Thanks! I have been to Sydney and LOVED it so I am sure that I will love Valencia as well. We plan to do the aquarium for sure (was already on my list!):) Did you by any chance eat at La Pepica or know anyone who did? It was recommended to us and from what I see on the internet serves an authentic Paella.

La Pepica it´s a MUST. Absolute Icon for the Levant food. A bit too touristic, but worth it. Nobody mentioned, the tailed walls of the train station and the neighbouring bull ring. Although (like most Spaniards) bullfighting it´s not really popular, the ring is pretty nice.

Don´t miss without drinking "HORCHATA" a local dry fruit juice, and dip "FARTONS" a kind of local buscuits. Like Oreo and Milk but in a local way.

Actually Valencia is our third biggest city in Spain. Fairly industrial, but with a nice old town which has been recently refitted. Don´t miss the FALLAS Museum (you would a taxi). Fallas is similar to Guy Fawkes Night in the UK, but real artistic figures made out of cardboard, and representing diffirent images of the Spanish society. One is being saved and sent to a museum. You won´t understand Valencia as long as you don´t get informed about Fallas.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Falles

I don´t think you had time, but the city is surounded by stunning beaches and lovely nature parks, rice fields, and swamps with typcial lovely white little constructions called barracas.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albufera

Alternatively, for rice. This old hotel in the old town is reputed to have a lovely paellas

http://www.adhochoteles.com/valenciahotel/monumental/eng/index_eng.html

Check if you have to order it first days before. Just remember: locals don´t eat local food. So what you have is usually for tourists. Should you want a real local food, always call first, perhaps they don´t have it in the daily menu.

Enjoy, it´s a warm, lively city.

La Pepica it´s a MUST. Absolute Icon for the Levant food. A bit too touristic, but worth it. Nobody mentioned, the tailed walls of the train station and the neighbouring bull ring. Although (like most Spaniards) bullfighting it´s not really popular, the ring is pretty nice.

Don´t miss without drinking "HORCHATA" a local dry fruit juice, and dip "FARTONS" a kind of local buscuits. Like Oreo and Milk but in a local way.

Actually Valencia is our third biggest city in Spain. Fairly industrial, but with a nice old town which has been recently refitted. Don´t miss the FALLAS Museum (you would a taxi). Fallas is similar to Guy Fawkes Night in the UK, but real artistic figures made out of cardboard, and representing diffirent images of the Spanish society. One is being saved and sent to a museum. You won´t understand Valencia as long as you don´t get informed about Fallas.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Falles

I don´t think you had time, but the city is surounded by stunning beaches and lovely nature parks, rice fields, and swamps with typcial lovely white little constructions called barracas.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albufera

Alternatively, for rice. This old hotel in the old town is reputed to have a lovely paellas

http://www.adhochoteles.com/valenciahotel/monumental/eng/index_eng.html

Check if you have to order it first days before. Just remember: locals don´t eat local food. So what you have is usually for tourists. Should you want a real local food, always call first, perhaps they don´t have it in the daily menu.

Enjoy, it´s a warm, lively city.

Thank you so much for the information!

I had read about the Horchata and Fartones and would love to try it. Where is the best place to get it?

Also, we are there on a Sunday and it appears that nothing opens before 10 am with the bus touristic not running until 10:30. What would you suggest to do in the early hours before the aquarium opens at 10 am.

We were thinking of doing the aquarium and science museaum starting at 10am and after that, finding a cab or using public transport to go to La Pepica at 1pm when they open. After lunch at La Pepica we were thinking of taking the touristic bus to get go around and see the city stopping at the must see sights and museums. Our ship is in port from 7am until 7pm so we should be able to really see a lot of the city:) which sounds very nice.

I can´t remember the name, but one of the most famous place it´s localed opposite the main entrace of the cathedral, on a square looking to the main street. However hortacha and fartons are everywhere in Valencia. Probably the best thing to do, is simply walking around.

Thanks! I think we will try to see the Fallas museum. I would love to visit the Albufera lagoon but am not sure how I would go about getting there, my hobby is nature photography and this sounds like a great place for it.:)

Tours are available. Of course not the hidden places, but you have a glimpse of it

http://www.valenciabusturistic.com/albufera.html

It´s still one of the best national parks of Spain, and represented in many local novels. Lakes, fishermen on gondola like boats, rice growers and barracas /traditional houses. Of course today it´s a little touristic but worth it.

Archived