Kid bashing

Kineticoh20

The comments about elderly passengers are among the most offensive I've seen on this board. Please pull this thread !

Although I do not consider myself elderly, I have to admit this is really puzzleing to me. Something doesn't make sense with those that think it is considered 'kid bashing' to tell of terrible experiences onboard with unruly, or unsupervised children, but in the same breathe they can bash the elderly and not bat an eye. :confused: :eek: :confused:

Everyone is entitled to express their opinion. So far, this thread has been full of very strong opinions from quite a few posters and no one has taken it personally. If you find it offensive, then don't read it!!

How do you know no one has taken it personally ? Just could be they didn't want to waste their energy replying... By the way, I am in my 40's, not elderly so I'm not taking it personally. Just find it incredulous how some people think, and yes, offeded for any old person who is referred to as incontinent, toothless dependent and annoying just to quote 1 of many very ageist OPs.

This is the point that some have made. It is alright to level accounts and say kids ruined or botherd your cruise experience. But on the other hand when an adult or senior is mentioned in the same or worse behavior, they are up in arms and wanting threads removed. Kids can't come in here and defend themselves like some of you can and if they could I'm sure alot of people would be ashamed of what thier little mouths would say about the way they are treated. It;s ok for older cruisers to say they don't want to cruise with kids, but if someone says they don't want to cruise with older cruisers it is concidered rude or offending.

I think seniors are our countries most precious resource, that being said when I am vacationing I get frustrated with the pace of things on the ship but never concidered mentioning it. It is just part of the experience that has to be accepted. Why can't other people accept the same thing about the children on the ship.

We are not asking for men in yellow shirts to follow you around;)

How do you know no one has taken it personally ? Just could be they didn't want to waste their energy replying... By the way, I am in my 40's, not elderly so I'm not taking it personally. Just find it incredulous how some people think, and yes, offeded for any old person who is referred to as incontinent, toothless dependent and annoying just to quote 1 of many very ageist OPs.

I referred to it as "The Circle of Life". And like it or not, we all start out as being incontinent, toothless, dependent and annoying and if we live long enough, we end up the same way. It is not meant to be offensive nor bashing but merely pointing out the Circle of Life.

Leave the poor children alone.

We find any kiddy problems that arise aboard ships are direcrtly related to parents leaving their children unsupervised, be it while they go and party at night, leave the children to eat at the "childrens" table while they eat at the adults "table" or put their teenaged children in their own cabin because the feel they are old enough to be left alone or are so rotten they don't want them around.

The children of the parents who supervise them, spend time with them, do things with them and take an interest in what they are doing are generally delightfull people and a joy to be with and around.

Lets start a thread....."Parent Bashing"!

We find any kiddy problems that arise aboard ships are direcrtly related to parents leaving their children unsupervised, be it while they go and party at night, leave the children to eat at the "childrens" table while they eat at the adults "table" or put their teenaged children in their own cabin because the feel they are old enough to be left alone or are so rotten they don't want them around.

The children of the parents who supervise them, spend time with them, do things with them and take an interest in what they are doing are generally delightfull people and a joy to be with and around.

Lets start a thread....."Parent Bashing"!

That so works for me :)

Here is how I look at it. Much of how a child acts on land will determine how they act on board. Let me give you an example, I have 2 DS (ages 9 and 8) and whereas I would love to invite one of my dearest friends and her family to cruise with us, I won't do it! If both families meet for lunch on the weekend, say at a Sweet Tomatoes, and we have one large table, she allows her kids (ages 4, 7, 9) to run around the table when they are bored. Or, if we have a table for the adults and one next to us for the kids, she lets them scream, hit the back of their seats and annoy those behind them, etc. I only have to say anything to my kids because they want to join their friends. Luckily, all it takes from me is a "not a good choice" when their butts come off the seat and they sit back. I love my friend dearly, but could not imagine her kids on a cruise!

Now, that is not to say that, especially the younger set, will not have a meltdown, etc. because their schedules are off, but there are times where, I believe, that parents have not even begun to try to teach their kids how to act when they are in public. If they are not taught it, they won't know how to act when they need to.

And that, in a nutshell, is the entire issue.

On my recent Dawn cruise, DH and I were eating dinner in the pizza parlor. There was a young boy about 10 years old sitting by himself at a table next to us. He ordered himself a pizza and soda, ate his pizza and then quietly left.

We kept looking around, assuming he was with another group that was sitting nearby. Nope, he was all by himself. I was a little alarmed but this kid could not have been more well behaved. I did see him later on in the cruise with his parents at a table in the dining room and they were all having a wonderful time together. I stopped and mentioned to his parents seeing him in the pizza parlor and how well behaved he was.

They told me that the rules they apply at home are the rules that apply when they are out.

I don't mind cruising with kids on board but I do mind the parents of those kids who let them use the adult only pool. That's discourteous to all of the adults at the pool. When children are in a swimming environment, screaming and yelling is only naturally to occur. Parents, please don't bring your kids to the adults only pool. Asking a crew member to do something about it is really ineffective since they really aren't policemen. Parents should be their own policemen when it comes to their children. You really can't blame the kids for being in the wrong pool when the parents bring them there.

I don't mind cruising with kids on board but I do mind the parents of those kids who let them use the adult only pool. That's discourteous to all of the adults at the pool. When children are in a swimming environment, screaming and yelling is only naturally to occur. Parents, please don't bring your kids to the adults only pool.

I agree. I only take my kids to the pools where they're allowed. But on our last cruise we encountered people at the Calypso pool who complained that our kids were there. They weren't yelling, screaming, running or jumping. But they were occasionally laughing or giggling and let's face it: kids move faster than most adults even when walking. They're just naturally boisterous. IMHO if someone demands total peace and quiet at the pool, they need to go to one of the adults only pools, instead of sitting around grouching about the presence of kids where they're allowed.

--Junglejane

I agree. I only take my kids to the pools where they're allowed. But on our last cruise we encountered people at the Calypso pool who complained that our kids were there. They weren't yelling, screaming, running or jumping. But they were occasionally laughing or giggling and let's face it: kids move faster than most adults even when walking. They're just naturally boisterous. IMHO if someone demands total peace and quiet at the pool, they need to go to one of the adults only pools, instead of sitting around grouching about the presence of kids where they're allowed.

--Junglejane

Now that would have ticked me off big time! My kids are all older now, but if that had happened to me I wouldn't have taken the complaining without giving a polite retort. If you can't handle kids having fun then you shouldn't be there!!!

--Junglejane

Your kids were being kids...laughing, giggling and just having a great time on a family vacation.:D If only everybody could enjoy their vacation & do the same!

(not referring to any posters ..just on past travel experiences)

Darn, I thought this was a thread about bashing kids. :eek: We were on the Disney Magic, can you say, " a lot of kids" and we didn't have any problems, nobody was pushing all the elevator buttons, screaming, yelling. I've, so far, haven't had any reason to b!tch about kids on cruises. However I do know that the 'bad' ones are out there. We've gotten compliments on how well behaved our kids have been. It's up to the parents, plain and simple.

On our Caribbean cruise two years ago I had a choice - take a chance and book during Spring Break, or book during hurricane season. Not really a big choice - I opted to take a chance on the weather. So you know where I come down on this argument/discussion. :-)

We have taken 4 Princess cruises, most were not the kind that attracted a lot of younger folks, but there were some. I don't think I once even said something to myself about them - it was a non-event - and my DW says if I can't find something to bitch about it's really something. BUT I will avoid cruises that typically would have a lot of kids on it. There is enough to worry about with loud neighbors on the next balcony :-)

And here it is a beautiful spring day in Texas, the windows are all open, and my neighbors SIX dogs have been barking out in the yard all morning. I wonder if they took the grand kids on a cruise and left the dogs outside???

You want to see grumpy. Have a pack of uncontrolled pre-teens pour a soft drink down the stairwell onto your tux. or maybe see you wife knocked off her feet by wildly running teenagers. or be waked at 2:00 AM by a bunch of kids racing down the hall banging on all the doors. or hear a untrained sixteen year old proposition an attractive girl from the staff. Grumpy!! You ain't seen nothing yet. Granted, well behaved young people are a real delight. I thoroughly enjoy their company. Granted, youngsters are full of exhuberance not available to my seven decade old body (maybe I'm jealous), but if you are bring your youngster on the ship, make sure he/she knows how to behave. Otherwise, leave him/her at home in the kennel.

Pay the same fare as adults, but they don't get a dedicated regular sized pool for their use... although I've NEVER seen kids hog pool loungers...

Of course the children aren't embroiled in smoking politik either. :)

On a couple (single) occasions over 10 cruises, I've seen kids misuse elevators. On a couple occasions I've seen kids get TOO loud or unruly... I personally haven't seen in my cruise experience the more egregious complaints others report, but I think my experience is more typical than those reporters.

But I've seen adults blatently and offensively cut lines, stagger drunk, get boisterous, hog loungers and theater seats, berate staff, this pretty darned regularly. :(

So, to which 'group' should I exclaim "GROW UP!"??? ;)

Pay the same fare as adults, but they don't get a dedicated regular sized pool for their use... although I've NEVER seen kids hog pool loungers...

Of course the children aren't embroiled in smoking politik either. :)

On a couple (single) occasions over 10 cruises, I've seen kids misuse elevators. On a couple occasions I've seen kids get TOO loud or unruly... I personally haven't seen in my cruise experience the more egregious complaints others report, but I think my experience is more typical than those reporters.

But I've seen adults blatently and offensively cut lines, stagger drunk, get boisterous, hog loungers and theater seats, berate staff, this pretty darned regularly. :(

So, to which 'group' should I exclaim "GROW UP!"??? ;)

BOTH!;)

Archived