Lens Question

I was looking to get a super wide angle lens for my Cannon 30D. I was thinking about a Sigma zoom super wide angle AF 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5 DC macro autofocus Lens for my 30D. I'm just above a beginner and am far from being an expert. Any suggestions/help would be greatly appreciated.

Bob

Future: Diamond Princess Aus to Nz 01/09

Future: Emerald Princess Med/Trans Atlantic 10/08

Constellation Europe 07/06

Summit Alaska Repositioning 05/05

Summit Panama Canal 10/02

Rhapsody Of The Seas Alaska 09/01

Splendour Of The Seas Baltic 09/99

Veendam Eastern Caribbean 07/96

Holiday Western Carribean 07/93

Keep in mind that 17-70mm on a 30D is equivalent to a moderate 27-112mm lens on a film 35mm. That range has been adopted as the standard range for DSLRs with APS-C sensors like your 30D, substituting for the workhorse 28-70mm zooms on full-frame and film cameras. 27mm is wide enough for most landscapes and group photos while 75-110mm will work well for portraits and isolating parts of a scene. This range is probably used in 90% of general photography, which is why most of the makers supply an 18-55mm or 18-70mm zoom as a kit lens with the body.

If you are truly looking for ultra wide, Canon makes a good 10-22mm zoom. Sigma makes a well-rated 10-20mm and Tamron has a very good 11-18mm.

Dave

I have the Canon 10-22 for my 40d. It is a really neat lens! Works great on the aps-c sized cameras, which is exactly what Canon designed it for. It does cost a bit more than the Sigma or Tamron, so that may also be a consideration.

Keep in mind that 17-70mm on a 30D is equivalent to a moderate 27-112mm lens on a film 35mm. That range has been adopted as the standard range for DSLRs with APS-C sensors like your 30D, substituting for the workhorse 28-70mm zooms on full-frame and film cameras. 27mm is wide enough for most landscapes and group photos while 75-110mm will work well for portraits and isolating parts of a scene. This range is probably used in 90% of general photography, which is why most of the makers supply an 18-55mm or 18-70mm zoom as a kit lens with the body.

If you are truly looking for ultra wide, Canon makes a good 10-22mm zoom. Sigma makes a well-rated 10-20mm and Tamron has a very good 11-18mm.

Dave

Dave,

Not to ask a dumb question, but does the 10-22 give it an almost "fish eye" look. Also does the "10-22" mean that it should only be used for close in shots....Sorry if these seem like dumb questions, but I just don't know...

Bob

The 10-22 does not perform as a fish eye lens on your 30d. As Dave stated, the view is equivelant to a wide angle lens on a full-frame sensor camera.

Check out the galleries at the Canon website, or over at DPReview.com for some good samples of the capabilities of this lens. I'm at work, so I can't post one for you now.

There is some distortion if, for example, you are looking up at tall buildings. I find it to be a GREAT landscape lens. Looking forward to taking it to Hawaii in October.

Dave,

Not to ask a dumb question, but does the 10-22 give it an almost "fish eye" look. Also does the "10-22" mean that it should only be used for close in shots....Sorry if these seem like dumb questions, but I just don't know...

Bob

If you don't know and just stumble along in ignorance...that's "dumb"!

Asking questions is a sure cure for ignorance and are always welcome!

PeterPan is right. The ultra-wides I mentioned are all what is call rectilinear

lenses. In other words, they are designed to minimize curvature.

This photo was taken with my Sony 11-18mm at 11mm:

medium.jpg

As you can see, when held level, it produces very little distortion.

In this photo, I was pointing slightly down. There is some perspective

distortion, but no "fisheye" effect:

medium.jpg

If you focus very close, you will get distortion, but it is actually

exaggerated perspective:

medium.jpg

I have to say, I am using this lens a lot more than I expected!

Dave

If you don't know and just stumble along in ignorance...that's "dumb"!

Asking questions is a sure cure for ignorance and are always welcome!

PeterPan is right. The ultra-wides I mentioned are all what is call rectilinear

lenses. In other words, they are designed to minimize curvature.

This photo was taken with my Sony 11-18mm at 11mm:

medium.jpg

As you can see, when held level, it produces very little distortion.

In this photo, I was pointing slightly down. There is some perspective

distortion, but no "fisheye" effect:

medium.jpg

If you focus very close, you will get distortion, but it is actually

exaggerated perspective:

medium.jpg

I have to say, I am using this lens a lot more than I expected!

Dave

Thanks for the info Dave....Future: Diamond Princess Aus to Nz 01/09

Bob

An example of what I liked about the Canon 17-55 f2.8 that I recently got....I had no idea that the book jacket of this random lens-right-out-of-the-box shot had an embossed jacket. The lens saw what my eye never did. I am also looking at the wide lenses so this has been great information for me.

If I could figure out how to post the picture to illustrate I would.

Thanks for all the help. I setteled on the Cannon 10-22 lens. Just purchased it from B&H photo....Thanks again for all of your imput.

Bob

You will LOVE the 10-22. I have it for my 40D and it's a very fun lens. It's great for landscapes, as Dave demonstrated. I haven't had mine it decent weather yet. It's also fun for creative shots. Just 2 things I would suggest to keep in mind; it has great depth of field, so everything from up close to infinity will be in focus. The second thing is you need to get CLOSE! This is one of my favorites so far with it. It doesn't look like it, but his paw was less than an inch from the lens.

large.jpg

I just looked through my pics and I haven't used it that much yet. I've only had it for a few months and I haven't taken many pictures period. I did take it with us last weekend shopping for houses and I was MUCH happier with the shots I got than previous outtings with my 17-85.

Enjoy the new lens!

You will LOVE the 10-22. I have it for my 40D and it's a very fun lens. It's great for landscapes, as Dave demonstrated. I haven't had mine it decent weather yet. It's also fun for creative shots. Just 2 things I would suggest to keep in mind; it has great depth of field, so everything from up close to infinity will be in focus. The second thing is you need to get CLOSE! This is one of my favorites so far with it. It doesn't look like it, but his paw was less than an inch from the lens.

large.jpg

I just looked through my pics and I haven't used it that much yet. I've only had it for a few months and I haven't taken many pictures period. I did take it with us last weekend shopping for houses and I was MUCH happier with the shots I got than previous outtings with my 17-85.

Enjoy the new lens!

Cute cat pic!

I may have to take a moment and stalk the wienerdog!

Dave

Thanks for all the help. I setteled on the Cannon 10-22 lens. Just purchased it from B&H photo....Thanks again for all of your imput.

Bob

I can't imagine you'll be disappointed. Good choice for vendor too...I love B&H!

Dave

I was wondering what you thought..This pix was taken with my Nikon D40 in full auto with the 18 x70 lens and the onboard flash

Looks good

Bob

Archived