What Do You Do 3 Days Before You Cruise?

wizard-of-roz

We are actually leaveing on a cruise a week from tomorrow.

Over the weekend , my wife mentioned she was looking at my suit and thought it would be a good idea to drop it off at the dry cleaners because it needed a "little freshening up". I have worn it quite a bit lately, for me anyway. (Banner past 6 months for funerals :). Also seeing I haven't worn my good Hawaiian type shirts in a while I should bring them too.

This morning was my first day off since then. I go look for my shirts and they are no where to be found. I am tearing through every closet in the house ......nothing.

For the past few years oldest DS has been latching on to a few of my clothes . I am convinced he has taken my $80 Tommy Bahama shirts and God only knows what he has done with him. In the past he has ruined a few things either washing them the wrong way, burning a hole in them, getting God knows what on them.

He's not home but I go up to his room and just as I am about to look through the nightmare he calls a closet , my wife calls me.

After quietly listening to my 5 minute rant about my shirts and what I am gonna do to this kid if he ruined my shirts ..blah blah blah.

She asks me if I got my suit out of the closet yet. I told her I haven't gotten that far .

She told me not to bother looking because its with my Tommy Bahama shirts at the dry cleaners . She figured I would forget, so she brought them for me yesterday. They will be ready Friday. :)

Do I need a cruise , or do I need a cruise ? *LOL*

God knows what will happen 3 days before :)

dscruisin: Where do you live? If we see lightning here, we think it's martians.....give us a sprinkle of rain and we go bisirk!

We can't drive/walk or think in the rain!

Edmonton, Alberta. Our house is in the country and on the top of a slight rise, which I think is making us attractive to visiting martians.

The last time they struck, I was out in the garage working on my car. I had the garage doors open and was behind the open hood. Lightning hit the power pole about 50 ft from the garage, and I just about filled my pants. That's about the loudest thing I've ever heard. It was so loud, it was "directionless", if that makes sense. The boom sounded like it was all around me, could have originated anywhere in the garage.

Anyway! Not meaning to hijack - somewhat on topic, my wife says to me today "239 sleeps until we board the ship"! Is she precious, or what? :D

dscruisin: Where do you live? If we see lightning here, we think it's martians.....give us a sprinkle of rain and we go bisirk!

We can't drive/walk or think in the rain!

Well, maybe not that bad!!

The driving part is true. Everyone in SoCal drives faster when it rains. They want to get home before they're in an accident. :)

1. Finish fine-tuning the packing list that I've been working on for months. Begin laying out on the guest room bed the things I will pack. Get suitcases down from attic (I'll actually pack the day before we leave.)

2. Call my credit card companies to make sure they know where I'll be using the cards.

3. Clean house and do laundry (Hate to come home to a messy house)

4. Be sure car is road-ready (We drive to port)

5. Check all prescription medicines so they won't run out on cruise; make a copy of eyeglass/contact prescriptions.

6. Go to bank and get lots ot 20's, several fives, and plenty of $1 bills.

7. Get brows waxed and haircut and Hi-lights touched up. (maybe manicure/pedicure too)

Anticipate.:)

we lower the electric hot water heater, and I start counting by hours instead of days! Oh the cruise gets over soooo quickly! Here in FL if it is a summer cruise, we put a bowl with ice cubes in the freezer just in case a bad storm hits. If the electricity goes off for awhile, they melt and refreeze when it comes back on. Then we know we need to throw out meat. We have never had to do this though. It also works when we evacuate to Orlando due to hurricanes.:)

1. Finalize my packing.

2. Check to make sure that all details at the office are taken care of relative to coverage while I'm gone (who's preaching and who's celebrating eucharist on each Sunday, who's providing pastoral care coverage, etc).

3. Check to make sure that everything around the parsonage is locked down, put away, cleaned up, etc. I also usually do a final clean, because I don't like coming home to a dirty house after leaving an always-clean ship.

4. Reconfirm all travel arrangements. Make sure all print-outs of flight itineraries, hotel assignments, copies of passport, etc., are in my travel folder.

5. Re-read the "Know Before You Go" booklet.

That sort of thing.

baby: You are such the "typical DH!" Except, I am not allowed to touch my DH's "anything!" He's so anal about that check-list thing and actually having to see it himself! I'm a Virgo (maybe that's why he won't let me do it, he knows I'd start adding and subtracting), he loves his Tommy Bahama shirts, too and always brings those!!!!

And, I have enough to do with me and the Service Dog (which is like packing for a baby); special food, toys, treats, meds, etc., etc.

For all of you who will be leaving soon (like me), have a superfantabulous cruise (remember to book another one), so that when you come off the ship there's no withdrawls! And, for all of you who have one planned, further down the road.......isn't the anticipation thing fun?

baby: You are such the "typical DH!" Except, I am not allowed to touch my DH's "anything!" He's so anal about that check-list thing and actually having to see it himself! I'm a Virgo (maybe that's why he won't let me do it, he knows I'd start adding and subtracting), he loves his Tommy Bahama shirts, too and always brings those!!!!

And, I have enough to do with me and the Service Dog (which is like packing for a baby); special food, toys, treats, meds, etc., etc.

For all of you who will be leaving soon (like me), have a superfantabulous cruise (remember to book another one), so that when you come off the ship there's no withdrawls! And, for all of you who have one planned, further down the road.......isn't the anticipation thing fun?

Roz,

I am just as anal :)

I was single and lived on my own for quite a while "between wives" and I became as my Mom says "quite the little house frau *LOL*

I cook, clean, do laundry , and have MY way of doing things. :)

Have a great time on your cruise :)

I am a week away from mine and chomping at the bit

ENJOY:)

I always feel better after a cruise, as I think about my getting older and slowing down before. On cruises I see people who need a lot of assistance, and realized I'm blessed with fairly good health. I don't know what kind of service dog you have, but I admire people who keep doing things. You are inspirational to me. Thanks. ;)

Baby: Thanks! Have a wonderful time on your cruise! And, from the way that you describe yourself, it's a wonder that any woman let you go! You're a keeper!

Taxguy: Thank you! We MUST push ourselves, everyday and enjoy life....it's a wonderous and joyous thing!!!!

Brenda, my service dog, brings all of the above to my life! And, my DH and her are in love. The best part is, we never have to leave her behind....she goes where we go!!!!!! She's a very hard worker and although she's ALWAYS on the job....I allow for "down-time" and "pats" from the public!

Keep cruising and enjoying every moment!!!!!!

Baby: Thanks! Have a wonderful time on your cruise! And, from the way that you describe yourself, it's a wonder that any woman let you go! You're a keeper!

Taxguy: Thank you! We MUST push ourselves, everyday and enjoy life....it's a wonderous and joyous thing!!!!

Brenda, my service dog, brings all of the above to my life! And, my DH and her are in love. The best part is, we never have to leave her behind....she goes where we go!!!!!! She's a very hard worker and although she's ALWAYS on the job....I allow for "down-time" and "pats" from the public!

Keep cruising and enjoying every moment!!!!!!

Roz Thanks :)

Thank you for the nice compliment , but note it was in that time AFTER the first wife and before the second that I became so domesticated. *LOL*

3 days before the cruise I bring out our luggage and hide everything beneath blankets otherwise our 15 lb tabby tries to come along with us as a non-paying passenger. The last 24 hours I spend in a state of total excitement which results in possibly 1-2 hours of sleep. When we get on the plane - I pass out.

I agree with turning off the water to the clothes washer - our neighbours had the water hose burst while they were away on vacation a couple of years ago. Fortunately we were taking care of their house and it was only running for about half a day before we discovered the problem. Even so there were items damaged beyond repair and they had a sizeable insurance claim to deal with.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

A while ago we bought those metal covered hoses for the washing machine and installed them so we don't have to worry about hoses bursting anymore.

We do turn off the water to the whole house though - if a hot water tank

goes and the water runs for days it can do a lot of damage - that's what happened to us - the whole basement was flooded with warm water mixed with soap.

Another time a toilet tank burst ( flaw in that brand ) and if we hadn't had the water turned off the water would have been pumping into the whole house for days.

We also turn off the electric hot water tanks at the board - no point in heating water while we are away, and the electrician said that if we turn off the water and a tank springs a leak and empties with the heater still on it could cause a meltdown situation.

If we are taking a long cruise (64 days last time) I use up everything in the fridge or give stuff away, pull the plug, clean it and leave the door open. Fridges use a lot of electricity these days and it gives it a rest from the constant running. Just MHO.

Archived