Canary Islands

Cruise Arizona

Sharon it must have been on another thread, but I heard that you are/were? and Opera Singer. I too enjoy singing and even dabble in Opera, but never felt I was good enough to pursue it as a career. If I had to describe my voice it would be like a Sarah Brightman wannabee. I have been singing more broadway and jazz lately, with the exception of a funeral I sang at a few weeks ago where I did "Pie Jesu" and "Ave Maria". I was at a restuarant in Demming New Mexico two weeks ago when I was on my way home from Texas. They had karaoke, and when I saw they had "Oh Mio Babbino Caro" I decided to give it a rusty try. It was kind of a different selection for karaoke.

I think I might have another friend who will be sailing with you on the Equinox who has sung opera, but I think it might have been just in college. You too will have to make sure to share notes. It sounds like singing professionally has given you a wonderful opportunity to travel. I think that if I was good enough to have singing career that would be one of the aspects I would enjoy the most.

Hi Suzanne,

Yes, I've done lots of travelling for the 30 years I have been singing opera in Europe. But, the travelling was spent flying or taking the trains between cities, and all I basically had time to see were the rehearsal rooms, the stage, the dressing rooms and my hotel rooms. Opera is a very different "business" in Europe. In Germany - alone - there are over 70 full season opera houses. I would very often be called at noon to jump in that evening for a sick colleague somewhere in western Europe. I'd pick up my bag, my score, and head for the airport or train station. (Re-studying the role during the entire trip). After the performance, back to the hotel and fly home the next morning. Sometimes two performances on one day, and driving from one city to another in between (and hoping that the German Autobahn wasn't jammed to make me late.) It sounds glamorous and was a wonderful life, but I don't miss it at all.:D

Continue singing - and enjoying it (that's the most important thing)!

I have to say that singing is a joy for me. Music a a true gift from God and I love that we have music in our world.

I hope you still have a love for music. Sometimes when it becomes too much business then we can lose the joy. I still sing mostly for love, but every now an then I get a paid gig, and I'm thrilled.

Take care Sharon, I know you will enjoy that Equinox cruise and any other that you might have coming up.

I understand what you are saying that, although you travelling for 30 years, it was for work.

My husband had a "glamourous" job meeting interesting people, staying at 5 star hotels, etc., but he said it was just work!

I said "Right!", until I went with him one day to a corporate box for the tennis. I like to watch the tennis in silence, but in the corporate box you were the host and had to entertain. After that, I believed him that it was just work!

It is lovely that you are now able to enjoy a well deserved life of travel to magical places, as well as smell the roses.

Sharon,

Do you know any thing about Canary Island music? Is it like Spanish music or more like Caribbean music with Spanish and African influences? Or even Latin American music which would include salsa, mambo or rumba, or even samba. I know they have a big Carnival in the Canaries have the borrowed any the the new world influences for their carnival or carnival music.

Sharon,

Do you know any thing about Canary Island music? Is it like Spanish music or more like Caribbean music with Spanish and African influences? Or even Latin American music which would include salsa, mambo or rumba, or even samba. I know they have a big Carnival in the Canaries have the borrowed any the the new world influences for their carnival or carnival music.

The Carnival festivities here are - supposedly - the second largest in the world (after Rio). Lots of activities etc. all over the island, but especially in Santa Cruz. Canarian music is really spanish, little or no african influence. Since there are many Venezuelan immigrants here, there is some carry over from there, but I wouldn't say there is a great deal of Latin American music in general. But, I'm the first to admit that I am absolutely not involved with

any part of the music "scene" here -- afraid it's a bit of "burn out".

Do take a walk around Madera. Try the wine at the shop near the dock where you can sample 5,10,15 and 25 year old Mareirs wine. But for pete's sake buy a bottle... bad manners to sample and sample then walk out. I loved the 15 year old wine.

When you go to Teneiffe TRY THE PALM WINE. It's called Honey rum but it is made with PALM sap. We went to a wine tasting on the excusion we were on and had the best time of ANY excusion we have ever been on ( 15 cruises). Our guide was a local called Angie. Sorry i can't remeber the name of the "wine" cave we went to. They served ham, cheese, bread and 5 types of wine and then the Honey RUM! I love sweet wine. If you do not, you won't like it. Sip it straight. Because we were on a Trans Atlantic, they let us bring ouw wine on board, no corkage no muss etc. But the host told us they would NOT permit it once we hit the carribean. We left from Savona to Florida via Barcelona, Morrocco, Teneriffe, Barbados, St Martin, Bahamas on the Costa Meditrannea. Great itinerary for a repositioniong cruise.

Thanks for your wine tips.

We're really looking forward to the Canary and Madeira Islands, as they are such an out of the way place for us. I can't even get library books on the latter.

We were attracted to the unique itinerary for our repositioning cruise also.

Barcelona, Casablanca, Tenerife, Funchal, Barbados, Antigua, St Thomas and Puerto Rico.

Did your cruise only stay 5 hours in Barcelona? Fortunately, I've been there before, but my husband hasn't.

Hi Marion,

Check any Portugal guide books for info on Madeira. Might be that you find some/more information there. Madeira is (like the Canary Islands) one of those areas that Europeans frequent on holiday, since it are located close to the mainland coast.

If you go to Amazon.com and type in Madiera you'll find a lot of books just on Madiera. I bought the DK Top 10. I just give the hightlights and not much detail, but that really all I need for cruise stop.

I also got the DK Canary Islands Eyewitness Travel. I like the pictures and graphics. They are really very nice books and lots information.

Thanks for your suggestion re guide books. Unfortunately, guide books are expensive here, so, for short visits, I always get them from the library. I only buy travel books when we'll be travelling independently for a long period and rip out the relevant pages to reduce luggage weight. :mad:

I love DK books also and currently have one out on Canary Islands. That, of course, only makes me want to visit the whole of the Canary Islands, which is unlikely to happen.

Heyla Sharon,

You've been a fabulous source, and I thank you! We've booked cars for both Tenerife and Lanzarote, and I'll be the sole driver. I have a few questions about gas stations. Are they typically self-serve, or full-serve, and do you have to pre-pay, and if so can you pay at the pump (assuming self serve)? I know it seems like minute details, but I speak no Spanish, nor does DH - we're pretty bright and I'm sure we can can muddle through, but these are the silly things on my mind now that I've resolved our excursions!:rolleyes: I'm hoping it is all pretty apparent once we get there, and I'm already laughing at the ludicrous-ness of this, but some info would be lovely.

Thanks!

Cori

Heyla Sharon,

You've been a fabulous source, and I thank you! We've booked cars for both Tenerife and Lanzarote, and I'll be the sole driver. I have a few questions about gas stations. Are they typically self-serve, or full-serve, and do you have to pre-pay, and if so can you pay at the pump (assuming self serve)? I know it seems like minute details, but I speak no Spanish, nor does DH - we're pretty bright and I'm sure we can can muddle through, but these are the silly things on my mind now that I've resolved our excursions!:rolleyes: I'm hoping it is all pretty apparent once we get there, and I'm already laughing at the ludicrous-ness of this, but some info would be lovely.

Thanks!

Cori

Hi Cori,

Lucky you caught me up at 2:30 AM Tenerife time!! Basically the gas stations are (full) serve. That means the attendants pump gas and do nothing else!! If you're paying cash, you pay the attendant when he's finished, with a credit card you generally go inside and pay. Most rental cars take normal (95 octane) and you simply say "lleno" (full). Make sure he doesn't give you 98 octane -- not necessary! You may get a car that takes diesel and you'll spot that when you open the tank-door. There are plenty of gas stations on Tenerife, especially in or near Santa Cruz - don't know about Lanzarote.

Have a truly wonderful cruise:D and don't hesitate to ask if you think of anything else!

Sharon, I hope you enjoy your summer in Germany! If it's so hot in Tenerife, what is it like in the Tiede National Park. We are going to do that tour and the advice is that it can be cool. How cool? Thanks.

It can get quite cool on Teide, but generally only after sunset. Great sunshine today all over:D, and a pretty normal 85 degrees. The 100 degrees of yesterday is pretty rare in the north -- and almost never in April. Enjoy!

Sharon, if you're out there.

First, thanks for the heads up on the Camera, I found one, bought it, and I think its great.

2nd We'll be in Tenerife on the 11th which is a Sunday, and Mother's day.

Does everything pretty much close down on Sunday's? or are things pretty active? I know a wine tour is probably not going to happen.

I'm leaning toward Octopus water park but Melissa's not keen.

What's "Not to be missed" with that one day we've got to see it all?

Garrick

Sharon, if you're out there.

First, thanks for the heads up on the Camera, I found one, bought it, and I think its great.

2nd We'll be in Tenerife on the 11th which is a Sunday, and Mother's day.

Does everything pretty much close down on Sunday's? or are things pretty active? I know a wine tour is probably not going to happen.

I'm leaning toward Octopus water park but Melissa's not keen.

What's "Not to be missed" with that one day we've got to see it all?

Garrick

Hi Garrick,

I'm really glad you're happy with the Canon. It did a great job on the 1500+ :eek: photos that we took in NZ and AUS. We just bought the Nikon D40 for the Asia trip that we're doing in September-October. Just wanted something with a possibility to take faster series pix - that wouldn't break the bank, although we won't leave home without the A630. The Canon is still buyable occasionally but, in Germany at least, seems to be going for 150% of the original price even though it's been discontinued. Maybe it's becoming a collector's item!

About Tenerife -- I'm afraid you won't find much of anything open on the 11th. It's Mother's Day also in Spain (though not in Germany) and even on a "normal" Sunday there isn't much available (stores are all closed). In Santa Cruz there is the regular Sunday market (the standard fruit and vegetable market as well as the standard Sunday street market), which I am assuming will take place as usual in spite of the "Fiesta". It is not a very lengthy walk from the harbor. Depending on how much time you have, Mt. Teide and the Parque Nacional is wonderful to visit. You would need to rent a car (try www.orcarcanarias.com or http://www.cicar.com for inexpensive rentals (ca. € 35 per day including all insurance and both agencies are right in the ferry building at the harbor). You will need about 1 - 1 1/2 hours drive in each direction, but incredible views unlike almost anywhere else on earth! There's probably also the possibility of hiring a taxi at the pier to do the trip for you. There's lots more to see, but all entail transportation. If you were to get a small group together (similar to our group excursion with Hades in Newcastle), I can recommend a good small tour company. Oops, I see you are looking for next Sunday, May 11th, which might be short notice.

If you want a great "park" situation, I would be more likely to recommend the Loro Parque in Puerto de la Cruz (ca. 35 km. from Santa Cruz) than the Octopus Park (in Playa de las Americas, I think). Loro Park is a wonderful area with dolphins, sea lions and penguins, among many other interesting animals. Again, Sunday may be an incredibly busy family day in any of these places. Although, it's kind of off-season for the tourists at the moment, so you'll only have to contend with the "natives". In the same area is La Orotava, a small town with a wonderful old Canarian atmosphere to it. We are located in Icod de los Vinos, which is another 20 km. from Puerto de la Cruz. (It would be great seeing you both again, but unfortunately we just got back to Germany yesterday and won't be back on Tenerife until November.)

If I can help with any further information, post again here or send me a mail to hugosharon at aol dot com Have a great trip!

Archived