Canary Islands

Cruise Arizona

Thanks so much for your suggestions and advice.

Please tell me you can get the gondola down. I still haven't recovered from the underground slides in the former salt mines in Germany!

I didn't dream I could buy one of the beautiful flower arrangements from the Tahiti markets for our cabin, so look forward to buying one from Madeira.

Suzanne - Wouldn't we have fun zipping around the island, plus spending as long as we liked at the indoor local market recommended by Cote d'or. Although I don't think the children would like the latter! :)

Fortunately, my husband likes driving on either side of the road!

Suzanne,

Just as a follow-up: the market in Santa Cruz, Tenerife is only open in the mornings -- until about 1 PM. And all other shops (except for the large dept. store, El Corte Ingles) close between about 1 PM and 4 or 4:30 PM. Banks and the Post Office do not generally reopen in the afternoon.

Thanks, Sharon. You are a gem, as I'd hate to miss the market!

When we are touring, my husband never sees (?) the "market" or "craft market" signs, so sails past. However, after an excited shout of "market" or "craft market" from me, he knows he is going to have to do a u-turn.

Guess it is worth a try, as I miss some signs, whilst I'm studying a map trying to navigate in foreign lands. :)

Hi Marion,

To clear up a couple of things:

1. The market in Santa Cruz is easy walking distance from the ship. You definitely don't want to have to find a parking spot anywhere in the center of the city. In fact, the big parking lot closest to the Market is at the harbor:p If you're getting a rental car for your day on Tenerife, check it out, but walk to the market before you drive the car away from the rental agency. Then come back and get the car!!

2. The ropeway Suzanne was linking to is on Madeira, I think. Mt. Teide's gondel is not on a regular walk-way, although real hikers do the trip up and down by foot - plan on about 6-8 hours!! The tour buses can only bring you to the foot of the mountain and/or take you on a lovely trip through the Parque Nacional.

All clear -- or have I confused you further??

All clear thanks Sharon.

We are visiting both Madeira and Canary Islands.

Will walk to market, walk around town a little, then get hire car. I want to see that beautiful building, like our opera house.

Yes, I knew ropeway was in Madeira. I'd never heard it called that before. My husband would call it a ski lift, as in "I'm not getting on a ski lift!". We are people who live on flat lowland, by the sea. :)

This has been a very informative thread! We're going to be on Tenerife in 3 weeks, and plan on renting a car. Sorry to hijack the thread, but Tenerife Sharon (or anyone else who has some idea of the geography and drive times), I'm wondering if you think this route is doable...

Leaving Santa Cruz and heading down to the Monkey Park Zoo just north of Los Cristianos, then backtracking a bit and taking route 821 to Mt Teide, and following route 20 along the 'spine' of the mountain, taking the turnoff to Guimar, and then back up to Santa Cruz. Is that too much for one day (6 hours, give or take)? We have an 8 yr old with us, who loves anything ancient, so would like to stop at the pyramids, and the monkeys are also in large part for him (though the park sounds like fun for us too!). We can cut one or the other, or just do those and leave the volcano for another day. Road conditions are a bit of concern too - I'm the sole driver and DH is a nervous passenger on curvy roads!:rolleyes:

Thanks for the input! If I can get this day planned, it would be a relief - then onto Lanzarote!

This has been a very informative thread! We're going to be on Tenerife in 3 weeks, and plan on renting a car. Sorry to hijack the thread, but Tenerife Sharon (or anyone else who has some idea of the geography and drive times), I'm wondering if you think this route is doable...

Leaving Santa Cruz and heading down to the Monkey Park Zoo just north of Los Cristianos, then backtracking a bit and taking route 821 to Mt Teide, and following route 20 along the 'spine' of the mountain, taking the turnoff to Guimar, and then back up to Santa Cruz. Is that too much for one day (6 hours, give or take)? We have an 8 yr old with us, who loves anything ancient, so would like to stop at the pyramids, and the monkeys are also in large part for him (though the park sounds like fun for us too!). We can cut one or the other, or just do those and leave the volcano for another day. Road conditions are a bit of concern too - I'm the sole driver and DH is a nervous passenger on curvy roads!:rolleyes:

Thanks for the input! If I can get this day planned, it would be a relief - then onto Lanzarote!

Hi there,

You've planned a very full day (and have done your homework!) and, although it might be doable, there is often a lot of traffic between Santa Cruz and Los Cristianos due to road construction. I have to admit -- I don't know of the Monkey Park -- probably because anything "zoo like" on the island exists in the shadow of Loro Parque in Puerto de la Cruz. The Güimar Pyramids are very interesting but are not very high, so if you want to see anything of the excavation, you will have to enter the grounds. (Try showing your auto club membership card for a discount. They do accept German ADAC cards, probably others as well.)

Teide and the Parque Nacional is a fascinating area to visit and probably a "don't miss" unless you are sure you will be visiting the island again.

The 3 "highlights" you would like to visit would probably take a minimum of 3 to 3 1/2 hours pure driving time, so it would be an extremely tight connection if you only have a total of 6 hours. The roads to and from Teide are quite curvy and non-passable for the most part, so allow extra time if you are stuck behind a slow car or cars. If you are here on a weekday, there'll be lots of traffic on the motorway and in Santa Cruz -- if you are here on a weekend, there'll be lots of traffic to and from Teide.

Have a great time -- whatever you decide to do, and post again if I can help!

Thanks Sharon,

We'll have to think about this - we're there on a Sunday, from 8:00 to 5:00, but I want to give ourselves plenty of wiggle room, which I why I say 6 hours or so... I love driving, and DS is well used to road trips, but if the traffic is heavy...One more question, pretty please - coming from Santa Cruz, is there a particular route to Teide that you would recommend, either for sights, less traffic, distance or ease of driving? Like you say, I've done lots of research, but it is really hard to tell what state roads are in from a map! I do appreciate your willingness to help! Should you ever come to Vancouver Island I'll happily return the favour!

Cori

Thanks Sharon,

We'll have to think about this - we're there on a Sunday, from 8:00 to 5:00, but I want to give ourselves plenty of wiggle room, which I why I say 6 hours or so... I love driving, and DS is well used to road trips, but if the traffic is heavy...One more question, pretty please - coming from Santa Cruz, is there a particular route to Teide that you would recommend, either for sights, less traffic, distance or ease of driving? Like you say, I've done lots of research, but it is really hard to tell what state roads are in from a map! I do appreciate your willingness to help! Should you ever come to Vancouver Island I'll happily return the favour!

Cori

Hi Cori,

Just asked DH Hugo, our designated driver for our treks to Teide, and he said that probably the best road for you to take would be the one that turns off the motorway just before the north airport (Los Rodeos) which is by La Laguna. It's quite a long drive that way, but not so terribly winding. Depending on your time, you might want to drive back via La Orotava (a really lovely old town with lots of wooden Canarian balconies) and then get onto the motorway there back to Santa Cruz. You'll have less Autopista (motorway) traffic on a Sunday than you would during the week. Alternately, do your trip to Güimar and then up to Teide from there. DH says that he really doesn't think there is enough time to do all 3 things you had planned. (It's a long swim to Lanzarote if you should be late getting back to the ship:D). We're probably going to Santa Cruz tomorrow or Tuesday, so I'll have a look if there are any major signs for you to watch out for!

BTW, no need to return the favor. I've gotten such great information here on CC, so I'm just "passing it on". Also BTW, we absolutely loved Victoria during our Alaska repo last September on Infinity and do hope to get back sometime soon.

Yes in Madeira you can buy round

trip tickets for the Sky Way, Lifts,

Cable Cars,Gondola,Ropeway.

What ever you want to call them.

They call them..Telefericos.

Beautiful view from the cars and

on top. It's a nice trip. Different

things you can see walking around

and a cafe.

Oops just saw their web site is posted.

Well I typed this, so going to post anyway! LOL

Thanks Sharon,

Cori

Hi Cori,

On our way back from Santa Cruz yesterday I made the following notes:

Leaving S.C. you need to get on the Autopista going north. It is about 5 km. to the sign for the Teide turnoff. It is exit 8B, and on the sign above the highway (before exiting) will be Avda. Trinidad, La Esperanza and P.N. de Teide (Parque Nacional de Teide). The PN de Teide part of the signage is white letters on brown background. Also on the sign is TF-24. Hope this helps. Have a great trip -- we'll be back in Germany by the time you get to the Canaries. so I won't be able to wave "hello" at the pier:D

P.S. It was about 77 degrees (25°) yesterday in Santa Cruz:p Any more questions, don't hesitate to ask!

Hi Cori,

On our way back from Santa Cruz yesterday I made the following notes:

Leaving S.C. you need to get on the Autopista going north. It is about 5 km. to the sign for the Teide turnoff. It is exit 8B, and on the sign above the highway (before exiting) will be Avda. Trinidad, La Esperanza and P.N. de Teide (Parque Nacional de Teide). The PN de Teide part of the signage is white letters on brown background. Also on the sign is TF-24. Hope this helps. Have a great trip -- we'll be back in Germany by the time you get to the Canaries. so I won't be able to wave "hello" at the pier:D

P.S. It was about 77 degrees (25°) yesterday in Santa Cruz:p Any more questions, don't hesitate to ask!

Sharon, thanks for all the information. If there was such a thing as a CC gold star you would get one:) Oh.....I see you already have one in your avatar;)

Phil

Sharon, thanks for all the information. If there was such a thing as a CC gold star you would get one:) Oh.....I see you already have one in your avatar;)

Phil

Gee thanks, Phil! :p I'm just giving back a little of all that I've received here.

Sharon - I agree - you're a superstar - or as I say to the kids in my daycare - you so totally rock!:D You've gone above and beyond and I really appreciate it - I picked up my international DL yesterday and feel pretty confident about the driving - we just need to narrow down our choices a bit! So much to see, so little time - just means we'll have to come back!

Thanks again, ever so much!

Cori

You're really welcome, Cori -- glad to help! I always think that the sharing of information is really what CC is/should be about.;) So many, though, spend their time just whining and complaining.

You are going to have a wonderful cruise and trip! ENJOY!

Sharon,

I just wanted to express my appreciation for all your help here on this thread. You have really been a great help here on this thread.

I guess when you have a screen name like "TenerifeSharon" you'd better know a lot about Tenerife, and you have lived up to your name. Now all I have to do is get the cruise ships to come to Arizona, and then I can help people out with their AZ tour questions. :D

Sharon,

I just wanted to express my appreciation for all your help here on this thread. You have really been a great help here on this thread.

I guess when you have a screen name like "TenerifeSharon" you'd better know a lot about Tenerife, and you have lived up to your name. Now all I have to do is get the cruise ships to come to Arizona, and then I can help people out with their AZ tour questions. :D

Hi Suzanne,

I'm really glad to help whenever possible. I have gotten such excellent assistance from others here on CC so I am just "passing it on".

BTW, I really don't know so very much about Tenerife, since we only live here part-time since we retired. Although we had a small vacation apt. here for several years before buying our house, we've grown disenchanted with the island and when our house (finally) gets sold, we are out of here! Our home base is in Germany and I'm originally from New York City (looong story). If that's not enough of a combination, my husband is German and we met in Greece (on Rhodes). Guess that makes us pretty international:D.

Sharon is a true gem, who provides excellent advice on many different threads.

Now I know where you got some of that wealth of travel experience from Sharon! Just interested - Did you get disillusioned with Tenerife because of increasing development/tourism or because you're travelling more elsewhere, now that you're retired? Good Luck with your housesale.

Sharon is a true gem, who provides excellent advice on many different threads.

Now I know where you got some of that wealth of travel experience from Sharon! Just interested - Did you get disillusioned with Tenerife because of increasing development/tourism or because you're travelling more elsewhere, now that you're retired? Good Luck with your housesale.

Hi Marion,

A little of both, I guess. The island has been overdeveloped, the breathing space has been lessened, recycling is almost non-existent, cars don't double-park here, they triple-park (amazing, but true). It's still a beautiful place to visit ... we just don't want to live here.:( Since real-estate sales are at a stand-still, similar to much of the rest of the world, it is going to take a while to sell the house -- but either it will happen at some point, or it will be the problem of DH's kids at some much later (hopefully) date.

The other end of the scale is that we love travelling, and want to do as much of it as possible for as long as possible. (I travelled professionally for 30 years, but as an opera singer always racing to rehearsals and performances, I never got to see much other than the inside of the theaters where I sang, and the hotels where I stayed.) Who knows how long that will be:D. But we're enjoying every minute of it.

I don't know if there is a bus.

I never saw one.

Seems like eveyone I saw came

from the cablecars.

Guess you good try and research it.

It is a real smooth and slow ride.

Very enjoyable. Is your husband

afraid of heights? If not tell him

the views are great. See the town,

the ship, sea. It is slow.

I hope you get to do it. It is fun.

Sharon it must have been on another thread, but I heard that you are/were? and Opera Singer. I too enjoy singing and even dabble in Opera, but never felt I was good enough to pursue it as a career. If I had to describe my voice it would be like a Sarah Brightman wannabee. I have been singing more broadway and jazz lately, with the exception of a funeral I sang at a few weeks ago where I did "Pie Jesu" and "Ave Maria". I was at a restuarant in Demming New Mexico two weeks ago when I was on my way home from Texas. They had karaoke, and when I saw they had "Oh Mio Babbino Caro" I decided to give it a rusty try. It was kind of a different selection for karaoke.

I think I might have another friend who will be sailing with you on the Equinox who has sung opera, but I think it might have been just in college. You too will have to make sure to share notes. It sounds like singing professionally has given you a wonderful opportunity to travel. I think that if I was good enough to have singing career that would be one of the aspects I would enjoy the most.

Archived