Considering New England/Canada cruise - lots of ?s

Sue's Mom

I am a DIYer so far as booking holidays is concerned. We have never been t HY or Canada before and do not know the area at all. So we would appreciate any advice/help anyone can give.

Firstly, we have a choice of NY airports that we can fly into, depending on which airline we choose. Which airport is easiest to get to the dock?

Second question is about returning home. The (few) flights to the UK go from Montreal. What is the best way of getting from Quebec to Montreal. I would rather not drive but would not rule it out completely. It is unnerving driving through unknown cities on the "other" side of the road! Everyone knows where they are going but me. :eek:

Thirdly, do HAL have any transfers which would be advantageous to us? We have recently cruised with RCI in the Med. At the end of the cruise we needed to get from the dock at Civitavecchia to Rome centre and were able to book the journey/transfer on board the ship but this facility was not generally advertised and we only found out by asking at the purser's desk.

Fourthly, we would love to spend a few days in Quebec at the end of the cruise but this is not totally necessary; we are just keeping our options open at the moment. We would want a reasonably inexpensive (but pleasant) hotel. Are there any websites which I can look at and what sort of cost are we looking at?

I apologise for all the questions but I am having great difficulty in finding anything - and I have spent hours so far on this project. ;)

You could get a transfer from HAL from Q city to Montreal. NYC city airports are totally crazy. There are always delays for the slightest rainstorm etc. Would you be staying in a hotel for one night? JFK is out in Long Island, LaGuardia is in the city, and Newark is over the Hudson River in New Jersey. If you stayed overnight before the cruise, any of these airports would do and I guess, LaGuardia would be the easiest to taxi in. Although I have not been on this cruise, I grew up in New England so I have traveled through the area. N. England, itself, is different from the rest of the states, Maritime Provinces are very beautiful, and Quebec will give you a chance to practice your French. Oh, I want to go!:)

We fly into Newark regularly to get from here to everywhere. Mostly fly Continental and find their's an easy terminal at Newark. Going from here to there Thursday and onto Orlando for a few days. Have also found it easy to get to or from NYC to that airport using a car service. Price isn't too bad either way. And, if a connection means we need to overnight before flying home the next morning, their airport hotels are easy. Generally don't bother to go into NYC unless I have to for work.

We're flying here to Newark then to Quebec on Continental in September for a cruise then flying out of Newark after the ship gets in to NYC. We flew Continental last summer from Newark to Edinburgh then Gatwick back to Newark and the flights were excellent. (No I don't work for them and have no connections to Continental!). My husband also flew them from Newark to Bristol last year and return and I believe they fly into other UK cities which means you could avoid Gatwick or Heathrow if you're closer to somewhere else more convenient.

Or, if you prefer to fly into or out of Canada, perhaps instead of flying to or from Montreal and onto Quebec you could fly to Toronto and on to Quebec or the UK?

Wow, thanks everyone. Got lots of things to think about there and to keep me busy for a while. ;)

The other cruise we are contemplating (well, I say "we" but I really mean "I"!) is from Quebec City to Ft Lauderdale on October 1st. I know the weather in the north is not going to be fantastically warm but I could cope with that knowing that Ft. Lauderdale was coming up.

May I underline some advice given above? Please don't drive between Montreal and Quebec City, when it's the wrong side of the road for you. Opinions vary about the worst drivers in Canada, but those in the Montreal-Quebec City corridor are definitely in contention.

As pointed out above, train service between the 2 cities is excellent - I prefer this to air travel.

Weather in early October could pleasantly surprise you!

Can't help with NYC airports, however we love Quebec City, try the following web site for information on Quebec City they are having their 400th anniversary this year and there is a lot going on http://www.quebecregion.com/e/index.asp

For train information which may be best way to get from Quebec City to Montreal try; http://www.viarail.ca/trains/en_trai_queb_moch.html

No matter what you decide enjoy your trip.

You will find prices in Quebec City very favorable compared to the prices in the UK. There are all sorts of hotels large and small. It is a beautiful city well worth your time and effort especially if you like to walk around to see things.

It is an old city by North American standards and as such is one we really enjoy visiting. The weather 1 Oct. should be just about perfect.

Whenever I fly to NYC to board a cruise I use the Newark airport. Then I have a HAL transfer to the pier. I find it very convenient doing the transfer from that side of town.

And I love being able to turn myself (and my luggage) over to HAL and letting them take care of everything! :D

If you should decide on the NYC-Quebec cruise, and want some info on things to do in Newport (I believe it's on that itinerary), just ask. I might be able to help.

You will find prices in Quebec City very favorable compared to the prices in the UK.

You will find prices EVERYWHERE very favorable compared to prices in London. Just figure on paying about the same number of dollars as you usally spend pounds for something -- in other words, divide your usual prices by two, and you won't be far wrong.

Check all your options re: flights. We're going to London in a week's time, and the best deal we found was on Delta from Montreal via New York - Delta also flies from Quebec City, but in our case it was over double in price, however it's worth a look-see. If you do fly home from Mtl the train is a great option, not very far from the dock (certainly much closer than the airport!). There's lots of nice boutique hotels in the dock area, within a 5-10 minute walk of the terminal. Hotel Dominion 1912, Auberge Saint-Antoine, Auberge St-Pierre, Hotel Le Priori come to mind, a couple more I think.

An Oct. 1 cruise from Quebec City to Ft. Lauderdale sounds fantastic. It should be still quite warm in the Northern climes and of course the fall colours will be very nice indeed. Bring a fall coat or sweater just in case. I've been to Ft. Lauderdale in Oct. and it is very hot and humid. No sweater needed. The trip from Montreal to Quebec takes about 3hrs. and can be done by train or bus. Buses go more frequently. Do a Google search on either city and you should come up with plenty of hotel options. Before booking I suggest checking on the TripAdvisor.com site. Here you can enter the name of the hotel you are considering and see reviews from real people who have stayed there as well as their real photos as opposed to the glossy ones often found on hotel sites. This will help you any avoid nasty surprises. I hope you have a great time in Canada. Both Montreal and Quebec are great cities to visit.

Whenever I fly to NYC to board a cruise I use the Newark airport
Thanks, Ruth. Just what I needed to know.

but those in the Montreal-Quebec City corridor are definitely in contention
LOL.

The train sounds good, particularly as I have always enjoyed rail travel (going backwards is best :) ).

senator6 - thanks for the links. I have bookmarked them.

the train is a great option, not very far from the dock (certainly much closer than the airport!). There's lots of nice boutique hotels in the dock area, within a 5-10 minute walk of the terminal. Hotel Dominion 1912, Auberge Saint-Antoine, Auberge St-Pierre, Hotel Le Priori come to mind, a couple more I think
Some interesting points there - thank you.

barrackman - thanks for the tips.

About the prices - the prices in our little neck of the UK are so much cheaper than London. I appreciate that visitors to the UK have to visit London but the natives usually stay away. Far too expensive and overcrowded for us and whenever I've been there it feel like I am in the middle of "United Nations" instead of England.

Archived