Sneaking food off ship

nator555

[quote name='Hawaii697']Now I've learned something today, are you telling me that I have a duty free allowance when sailing but I can't pack it in my suitcase to bring it home, legally, nor am I not allowed to carry it on the plane? So, what I getting from this is I will need to mail it home? Can someone please clarify this. :eek:

As for other posts regarding bringing food off the ship and not wanting to follow the rules, sound like and "Entitlement" issue to me . . . rules made for some and not others![/quote]

I was speaking in reference to cruise ships it is possible Orlando was speaking out of context and talking about airplanes.

What I meant is yes you can buy Duty Free at ports but have to sneak it on the ship. You cannot bring booze onboard the ship so have to sneak it on in your checked luggage. Neither of which changes the "legality" of it.

In terms of air travel duty free liquor must be placed in checked luggage unless it is purchased at the airport duty free and you have no connecting flights afterward. And not for nothing, even that is not a law it is a TSA regulation.

[quote name='big_duck']I was speaking in reference to cruise ships it is possible Orlando was speaking out of context and talking about airplanes.

What I meant is yes you can buy Duty Free at ports but have to sneak it on the ship. You cannot bring booze onboard the ship so have to sneak it on in your checked luggage. Neither of which changes the "legality" of it.

In terms of air travel duty free liquor must be placed in checked luggage unless it is purchased at the airport duty free and you have no connecting flights afterward. And not for nothing, even that is not a law it is a TSA regulation.[/quote]OK..now listen to this one, coming back from a trip, i cleared immigration and customs in San Juan for a connecting flight to Orlando,you are allowed to buy(duty free) and take liquor on the plane with you,i had six bottles,i did not have to go through security because i did not get out of the airport.

[quote name='orlandofl']OK..now listen to this one, coming back from a trip, i cleared immigration and customs in San Juan for a connecting flight to Orlando,you are allowed to buy(duty free) and take liquor on the plane with you,i had six bottles,i did not have to go through security because i did not get out of the airport.[/quote]

That would be correct; however, if your final destination was say Fargo ND with a connecting flight in Orlando, you would be in technical violation of the regs because you can't bring the booze on to the Orlando-Fargo leg.

Preventing you would be another matter since you aren't screened again; but again, that is a question of enforcement not legality.

[quote name='orlandofl']OK..now listen to this one, coming back from a trip, i cleared immigration and customs in San Juan for a connecting flight to Orlando,you are allowed to buy(duty free) and take liquor on the plane with you,i had six bottles,i did not have to go through security because i did not get out of the airport.[/quote]
Shouldn't this be part of another thread, since it has no relevance to the issue of bringing food ashore in a foreign port. It's nothing more than a red herring here.

[quote name='big_duck']That would be correct; however, if your final destination was say Fargo ND with a connecting flight in Orlando, you would be in technical violation of the regs because you can't bring the booze on to the Orlando-Fargo leg.

Preventing you would be another matter since you aren't screened again; but again, that is a question of enforcement not legality.[/quote]

[IMG]http://creditboards.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/offtopic.gif[/IMG] Thank you both for your explanation . . . didn't mean to ruffle the feathers of some!!!

[quote name='nator555']Is this allowed? I was planning to bring some bottled water on the ship with me and on our port days pack a few bottles and possibly some snacks in our bookbag to take with us. Is this a no no?[/QUOTE]

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="4"]Why not sample the local fare? Why cruise to a foriegn port if you're just going to bring the ship with you? Just a thought. :) [/SIZE][/FONT]

Ask room service to pack you a picnic lunch to bring off the ship. They know which types of food are a no no (fruit, etc.) and which ones will be safe to eat (day at the beach.)

We did this on the Conquest in 2005 and they happily obliged.

I can not even imagine even thinking about taking a cold sandwich with me off the ship and missing the opportunity to sample local fare. The first thing I do in a new port is find out where the locals eat and go there.

I do not check bathrooms or the cooks fingernails. If I was worried about that kind of stuff I would not be going to third world countries in the first place.

Now back to the original subject. Most ports have strict LAWS regarding taking food into the port. I do not care why they have it, but I assume they know the reason and it is good enough for me. I have seen fruit and sandwiches taken and thrown into the trash. In fact, if you look in the trash cans at the end of the dock you almost always see some type of food in it. Since to take food into another country may be against their laws, it is not unreasonable to expect that you could incur some type of fine for doing so.

If you rent a car and are caught speeding, there is a good chance you will be fined for breaking the law. The ports we go to are countries unto themselves and they are free to decide what laws they will have in their country. If you are willing to pay the fine if caught, then go for it. But I assure you, I do my level best to obey all laws, however stupid I may think they are, when I am in a foreign country because no matter how much I love those countries, I have no desire to be mixed up in a legal system in a country I do not speak the language.

[quote name='Stircrzy']Pretty much says it all...bravo!

From sneaking irons, to sneaking snacks, to sneaking around on your spouse...wrong is wrong![/QUOTE]

I totally agree with you. There are though, people who feel they have paid for food and entitled to take it with them. Many ports have signs advising there is a fine for taking food off the ship. You can see the huge garbage cans near the exit points. Such a huge waste of food.

If you don't want to spend money for food on an island, either eat just before you leave or go back to the ship for the meal. I know it isn't always convenient, but why harm some other country because you don't want to spend money for food off the ship?????

Again, a lot of this goes back to the ME people. They are special and can do anything they want because they paid for their vacations. Sad, sad, sad.

In this case we are not talking about a ship's rule, a company policy, or a guideline. We are talking about a LAW. It is against the local LAW to take food off the ship in every country the ship visits, including the USA. A ship will stock up at its Florida home port, including fresh oranges, and many other fruits. Upon return to its home port if you try to take one of those clearly marked Florida oranges off the ship, Customs will MAKE you throw it in the trash before you leave the ship.

Dan

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=darkred][SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=darkred]Forget it being illegal to take food into a port from the ship, (and it is for good reason) I ask, why would you ever want to do such? (Don't say kids or food allergies, that is hog wash) It seems to me, trying out the local cuisine is all part of the adventure. [/COLOR][COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]
[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana] [/FONT][/COLOR]
[SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=darkred]So what will the question be next, what McDonalds should one eat ate while in Paris, New Orleans, New York, Rome or San Francisco? [/COLOR][COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=darkred]With 8 BILLION on the planet, it is clear bad food is not killing off the humans.[/COLOR][COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=darkred]OK, I can’t believe I am saying this, but if taking food off the ship at ports is to save money, well, you really can’t afford to go on a cruise. [/COLOR][COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=darkred]I am not saying spend a ton of money at an expensive restaurant, but come-on–now, try to be just a little daring, try some of the local cuisine or stay home![/COLOR][COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]
[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[COLOR=darkred][/COLOR]

I'm heading on my first cruise on May 4.

Forget everything about the legality, ethical, or morals of bringing food off the ship...

My question is: how would they know? Do they search your carry-on when you disembark at every port?

Thx

Everything goes thru the scanner when leaving the ship and when reentering (including you). We have cruised many times, but on a recent Carnival cruise I got an ice cream cone and dh and I proceeded down to get off at the port. I was told to step back and finish my cone before disembarking.

So I asked my DH tonight about introduced pests since the debate is still raging here and he gave me a list a mile long. Many of these pests will decimate a crop or kill trees. This is why these regulations are in place - not to inconvenience you or make you spend more money. Unfortunately searching everyone is not feasible - just like everything that is shipped into the U.S. is not searched nor are everyone's bags checked at customs - it's just a random thing. BTW - it is a $10,000 fine if you try to bring any prohibited agricultural items back into the U.S. I'm sure there are penalties as well for other countries.

Here's just a few that have come into the U.S. - there are other pests that are just as dangerous to the islands we all like to visit and all it takes is one infected item to start the damage.
[LIST]
[*]Asian Longhorn Beetle - damages hardwood trees
[*]Mediterranean Fruit Fly - especially dangerous to citrus crops
[*]Mexican Fruit Fly - affects citrus and mango - found in Mexico and Texas naturally but Florida is very worried about it's crops should it end up there ( a few have already been found in Florida)
[*]Japanese Bettle - that pest in your garden is another non-native species brought in by accident in 1912
[*]Light Brown Apple Moth - 10 counties in California are under quarantine because of this pest brought in from Australia. 2000 species of plants (including many hardwoods, fruits & vegetables such as strawberrries, cabbage, pumpkin, beans - the list goes on) California provides a lot of our food supply in this country - think of what will happen if the crop damage were to spread further.[/LIST]I know a lot of you think this is all a joke, but there's good reason behind not bringing food into another country. Chances are what you have won't ever cause a problem - but all it takes is one that is infested somehow to do it.

[quote name='bluefintuna']Everything goes thru the scanner when leaving the ship and when reentering (including you). We have cruised many times, but on a recent Carnival cruise I got an ice cream cone and dh and I proceeded down to get off at the port. I was told to step back and finish my cone before disembarking.[/quote]

Thanks. Now I know.

My DH is an insulin dependant diabetic. He has to eat somewhat within a schedule due to the constraints of the insulin or risk medical consequences. Some of hte excursions we have booked on a European cruise do not allow for a meal, but they are longer than the four hours max between caloric intake. Diabetics have two kinds of food to take depending on the circumstances. Regular food should be protein based for time release of blood sugar. That means few carbs. The other is for low blodd sugar attacks. That would require quick carbs like pure glucose, hard candy, or orange juice. Insulin dependant diabetics can never go out without being sure of when and what their next food intake will be. That's why most of them will carry some form of nutrition with them on excursions.
So, fo some, taking food from the ship is insurance that they will make it back to the ship without a medical emergency occuring in the meantime.

[quote name='nanadeborah']My DH is an insulin dependant diabetic. He has to eat somewhat within a schedule due to the constraints of the insulin or risk medical consequences. Some of hte excursions we have booked on a European cruise do not allow for a meal, but they are longer than the four hours max between caloric intake. Diabetics have two kinds of food to take depending on the circumstances. Regular food should be protein based for time release of blood sugar. That means few carbs. The other is for low blodd sugar attacks. That would require quick carbs like pure glucose, hard candy, or orange juice. Insulin dependant diabetics can never go out without being sure of when and what their next food intake will be. That's why most of them will carry some form of nutrition with them on excursions.
So, fo some, taking food from the ship is insurance that they will make it back to the ship without a medical emergency occuring in the meantime.[/quote]

Which is why a diabetic should be sure to bring a few snacks with him which are not on the "not allowed" list. Diabetics should have no problem coming up with something suitable which would not be prohibited.

[quote name='vacruizer']So I asked my DH tonight about introduced pests since the debate is still raging here and he gave me a list a mile long. Many of these pests will decimate a crop or kill trees. This is why these regulations are in place - not to inconvenience you or make you spend more money. Unfortunately searching everyone is not feasible - just like everything that is shipped into the U.S. is not searched nor are everyone's bags checked at customs - it's just a random thing. BTW - it is a $10,000 fine if you try to bring any prohibited agricultural items back into the U.S. I'm sure there are penalties as well for other countries.

Here's just a few that have come into the U.S. - there are other pests that are just as dangerous to the islands we all like to visit and all it takes is one infected item to start the damage.[LIST]
[*]Asian Longhorn Beetle - damages hardwood trees
[*]Mediterranean Fruit Fly - especially dangerous to citrus crops
[*]Mexican Fruit Fly - affects citrus and mango - found in Mexico and Texas naturally but Florida is very worried about it's crops should it end up there ( a few have already been found in Florida)
[*]Japanese Bettle - that pest in your garden is another non-native species brought in by accident in 1912
[*]Light Brown Apple Moth - 10 counties in California are under quarantine because of this pest brought in from Australia. 2000 species of plants (including many hardwoods, fruits & vegetables such as strawberrries, cabbage, pumpkin, beans - the list goes on) California provides a lot of our food supply in this country - think of what will happen if the crop damage were to spread further.[/LIST]I know a lot of you think this is all a joke, but there's good reason behind not bringing food into another country. Chances are what you have won't ever cause a problem - but all it takes is one that is infested somehow to do it.[/quote]

And that pretty much sums it up in a quite succinct way...

Don't sneak things off of the ship...or onto the ship!!

There are plenty of things which are allowed, with no need to sneak! Just drop by the Lido and grab something! :)

[quote name='nrdsb4']Which is why a diabetic should be sure to bring a few snacks with him which are not on the "not allowed" list. Diabetics should have no problem coming up with something suitable which would not be prohibited.[/quote]

Exactly what I was going to say...why would a diabetic, insulin dependent person, travel ANYWHERE without low carb protein bars that are pre-packaged with them at all times (using the example given)? You do NOT ever NEED to take ship's food off. If you have a medical condition you should always travel with the items pre-packaged in case of an emergency.

On another note, on our recent Liberty cruise we were sent 2 fruit baskets from a Carnival employee (long, long story:) ) and at the end of the cruise we had to throw all of that fruit out because even though it boarded with us in Ft. Lauderdale we would not be able to take it off in Ft. Lauderdale. The big question in our minds was why in the heck would they have sent us fruit on a cruise :p ???

[quote name='nanadeborah']My DH is an insulin dependant diabetic. He has to eat somewhat within a schedule due to the constraints of the insulin or risk medical consequences. Some of hte excursions we have booked on a European cruise do not allow for a meal, but they are longer than the four hours max between caloric intake. Diabetics have two kinds of food to take depending on the circumstances. Regular food should be protein based for time release of blood sugar. That means few carbs. The other is for low blodd sugar attacks. That would require quick carbs like pure glucose, hard candy, or orange juice. Insulin dependant diabetics can never go out without being sure of when and what their next food intake will be. That's why most of them will carry some form of nutrition with them on excursions.
So, fo some, taking food from the ship is insurance that they will make it back to the ship without a medical emergency occuring in the meantime.[/quote]
I would think that you can find things to take that comply with the local laws. Hard candy and most/all packaged snack food are fine. If you have a condition that requires you to violate the local laws when you go ashore, perhaps you should stay on the ship.

[quote name='jff50']I would think that you can find things to take that comply with the local laws. Hard candy and most/all packaged snack food are fine. If you have a condition that requires you to violate the local laws when you go ashore, perhaps you should stay on the ship.[/quote]Red Herring anyone?

My mother is diabetic so I am very sympathetic to this issue. There are foods that can be taken off the ship - but they must be pre-packaged. Hard candies, low carb protein bars (I believe there are some out ther especially for diabetics - Glucerna maybe?), sealed packages of peanuts (which are very good to help regulate blood sugar overall), glucose tablets - any of these would more than likely be ok but check on the regulations of the countries you plan to visit.

The prohibited items can change regularly but are usually fruits, vegetables, meats, cheeses, plants, and flowers.

Archived