Sneaking food off ship

nator555

I didn't realize until I read this post that you COULDN'T take food off the ship. We have always taken sandwiches with us into ports. I can't imagine we have destroyed Bermuda, the Bahama's and most of Mexico with contaminants from the turkey and bread we brought over. Of course, if that is the law, we won't do so ever again.

It may or may not be the law it varies, do some research and/or pay attention to what the Capers say for each port of call.

Pre-packaged foods are never a problem.

I didn't realize until I read this post that you COULDN'T take food off the ship. We have always taken sandwiches with us into ports. I can't imagine we have destroyed Bermuda, the Bahama's and most of Mexico with contaminants from the turkey and bread we brought over. Of course, if that is the law, we won't do so ever again.
How about this law,if your neigbors are non smokers,you can't smoke on your property,they might get cancer.

One reason someone might do this (or want to do this) is a food allergy.

Also, it is port dependant (for those with their panties in a bunch about it being done at all).

How about the fleas from the seeing dogs and norwal.I would worry more about those two.

I think it would be more of a problem eating food at the restaurants

at a port than it would be from anyone bringing food ashore.

Some people are always cautious about eating when they go ashore

because of the food and water.

I have never taken food ashore but I can understand if a family with

small children want to take some snacks for them.

I would doubt that anything that could be brought from the ship is

any more harmful than what is already on the island or land.

Agree 100%.The first thing i do when i go to a restaurant especially in foreign land is visit the bathroom and see if it has running water,how it smell and the condition it's in.Some places you can't flush the toilet paper because it clogs their sewer system,there is a bucket to put it in,that's one place i ain't eating or drinking.

How about the fleas from the seeing dogs and norwal.I would worry more about those two.

Is there a point to these type of posts? It's like saying that if you can't eliminate the risk of bringing harmful bacteria/insects ashore, don't do anything.

Look like either red herrings or rationalization to me. The fact is that many/most ports do not allow you to take fruits and vegetables (and maybe some other food items) ashore. Are you encouraging other cruisers to not comply with these laws, where they exist? Personally, I believe that this is potentially disruptive to their ecosystem. Barring fruits and vegetables is a minor/reasonable inconvenience to reduce the risk. I hope that those people that disregard these laws (where they exist) get caught and fined.

Is there a point to these type of posts? It's like saying that if you can't eliminate the risk of bringing harmful bacteria/insects ashore, don't do anything.

Look like either red herrings or rationalization to me. The fact is that many/most ports do not allow you to take fruits and vegetables (and maybe some other food items) ashore. Are you encouraging other cruisers to not comply with these laws, where they exist? Personally, I believe that this is potentially disruptive to their ecosystem. Barring fruits and vegetables is a minor/reasonable inconvenience to reduce the risk. I hope that those people that disregard these laws (where they exist) get caught and fined.

I bet if you hand an apple or a sandwich to the customs guy in any of these ports he will be very happy and take it home to his family.

Devils Advocate for Conquest passengers. In Jamaica eat a really large breakfast before debarking the ship for the Appleton Rum Tour.

You may just give the island the food you took off the ship. Kinda yukky but it does happen and the eco system seems to still be going.

Sounds like you just don't get the concept of introducing foreign species into an ecosystem. While food from the ship may (or may not) meet your sanitation standards better than food purchased ashore, it may still be harmful to the ecosystem.

There are a lot of snacks that can be brought ashore legally. It would be nice if passengers confined themselves to those types of snacks. When ashore you are always free to avoid those places that don't meet your standards of sanitation--even if it means only eating/drinking items brought ashore legally.

Devils Advocate for Conquest passengers. In Jamaica eat a really large breakfast before debarking the ship for the Appleton Rum Tour.

You may just give the island the food you took off the ship. Kinda yukky but it does happen and the eco system seems to still be going.

You can buy liquor at duty free and take liquor(liquids) in your checked luggage,but can't take it in your carryon,now tell me what kinda law is that?

I bet if you hand an apple or a sandwich to the customs guy in any of these ports he will be very happy and take it home to his family.

Irrelevant. Another red herring. You seem to repeat the same argument--if you can't do everything, don't do anything. Is there another logical conclusion to all your posts? If so please share it.

You can buy liquor at duty free and take liquor(liquids) in your checked luggage,but can't take it in your carryon,now tell me what kinda law is that?

I don't think that qualifies as a "law". Just because Carnival has that as a rule in order to maximize revenues, doesn't mean that all "laws" have the same purpose.

Uhhh ....Security. Helps to make sure your plane lands in one piece:confused:

BTW, we have carried on liquor within the last 2 years.

Charlie

I understand what everyone is saying about introduction something to an ecosystem which it is not native.

Is anyone aware of a resource where you can find out if your port of call has limitations as to which you can bring off the ship?

I would not bring something off the ship if I knew ahead of time that its not allowed. If I have a long commute to get to an excursion, I might bring something to eat from the ship if its allowed, but I might not know if its illegal until I get to the gangway.

[quote name='jff50']Irrelevant. Another red herring. You seem to repeat the same argument--if you can't do everything, don't do anything. Is there another logical conclusion to all your posts? If so please share it.[/quote]Hate sharing,i will end now.

[quote name='98Charlie']In our area there are regulations prohibiting the transport of firewood between counties. Reason being to prevent/delay the spread of Dutch Elm Disease. Yes, it works.

Charlie[/QUOTE]

The reason that works is because the PEOPLE don't do it... not because of some LAW. That is what I am getting at... Do you really think that a LAW could keep someone from going into one county, cutting up a tree infested with DED and then carrying it across a line (imaginary in the real world) and dumping it near an uninfected tree? How many roads/walks/trees are in the adjoining counties? It is by the consciousness of an individual that this happens not a law. If you check my first post you will see that was included. Your conscious is what stops you. Stupid laws are abundant and should be pointed out.

[quote name='orlandofl']You can buy liquor at duty free and take liquor(liquids) in your checked luggage,but can't take it in your carryon,now tell me what kinda law is that?[/quote]

You MAY NOT do any of the above, you CAN however get away with some of it. Besides none of these have anything to do with the law.

[quote name='nator555']Is this allowed? I was planning to bring some bottled water on the ship with me and on our port days pack a few bottles and possibly some snacks in our bookbag to take with us. Is this a no no?[/quote]

Sure. We always bring granola bars to snack on after snorkeling:)

[quote name='bobsfamily']Do you really think they stop fruits and plants from Calif. to Nevada? [/QUOTE]
They are SUPPOSED to.

Whether or not authorities catch everyone that breaks a law doesn't mean they aren't breaking the law and it doesn't mean that there isn't a valid reason FOR the law.

[quote name='boaterette']Gee would that be the reason that you are not allowed to bring back cocunuts from hawaii to the mainland states. They want you to buy cocunuts here. Get real. I don't think so. Or is that the reason you can't cross from nevada into california with fresh fruits or plants. Because they want you to buy them in California. Don't think so.[/quote]

Crossed the Nevada/California border a billion times and they just flag us thru, never been stopped.
Now Hawaii that's a different story.......all luggage goes thru agricultural screening..........

[quote name='terri910']They are SUPPOSED to.

Whether or not authorities catch everyone that breaks a law doesn't mean they aren't breaking the law and it doesn't mean that there isn't a valid reason FOR the law.[/QUOTE]

Maybe you don't get it... plants and fruits are grown and stuff from them gets ground into roads near them which ends up on tires that spew it onto the underside of cars/trucks... stop every truck and take every fruit/plant off and the chances of exposure is not as great, BUT it has stopped nothing as sooner or later things get thru.
I understand your comment on the law... I get it... but you cannot stop something that does not care about imaginary "lines" by a law. That is done only by enforcement and containment.... the Galapagos's is a prime example.. the ONLY way to fend off importation of unwanted things is to stop ALL and check everything. Ships that deliver passengers to go to the Galapagos that stop at other ports cannot go past a certain point for fear that the ship itself will contaminate the area. Some have tenders that are used only in those waters.

[quote name='orlandofl'] You can buy liquor at duty free and take liquor(liquids) in your checked luggage, but can't take it in your carryon, now tell me what kinda law is that? [/quote]

[quote name='big_duck'][B]You MAY NOT do any of the above[/B], you CAN however get away with some of it. Besides none of these have anything to do with the law.[/quote]

Now I've learned something today, are you telling me that I have a duty free allowance when sailing but I can't pack it in my suitcase to bring it home, legally, nor am I not allowed to carry it on the plane? So, what I getting from this is I will need to mail it home? Can someone please clarify this. :eek:

As for other posts regarding bringing food off the ship and not wanting to follow the rules, sound like and "Entitlement" issue to me . . . rules made for some and not others!

Bottle waters and pre-package foods are normally not a issue. In many ports they legally
allowed. But FRUIT with unseen pest is NO. Just eat a large breakfast on the lido
deck before you go into port.

Do be cheap and try to save $5.00 and get yourself thrown into jail or a large fine. It
is not worth it.

Archived