Sneaking food off ship

nator555

[quote name='nanadeborah']My DH is an insulin dependant diabetic. He has to eat somewhat within a schedule due to the constraints of the insulin or risk medical consequences. Some of hte excursions we have booked on a European cruise do not allow for a meal, but they are longer than the four hours max between caloric intake. Diabetics have two kinds of food to take depending on the circumstances. Regular food should be protein based for time release of blood sugar. That means few carbs. The other is for low blodd sugar attacks. That would require quick carbs like pure glucose, hard candy, or orange juice. Insulin dependant diabetics can never go out without being sure of when and what their next food intake will be. That's why most of them will carry some form of nutrition with them on excursions.
So, fo some, taking food from the ship is insurance that they will make it back to the ship without a medical emergency occuring in the meantime.[/quote]

If that is the case they should be tsking prepackaged food like tuna pouches. sorry but I don't agree with you. they can provide thier emergency food without having to take food off the ship. My ex husband carrid his emergency food with him everywhere he went. So just because you have diabetis does not entitle you to break the law.

[quote name='bluefintuna']Everything goes thru the scanner when leaving the ship and when reentering (including you). We have cruised many times, but on a recent Carnival cruise I got an ice cream cone and dh and I proceeded down to get off at the port. I was told to step back and finish my cone before disembarking.[/QUOTE]

I think you must be on a new ship that caters to tightwads and complainers... never went thru a scanner going off.. ever! and coming on I went thru metal detector and my BAG went thru a scanner. I don't take food off--- there I said it... mainly because of what has been said. I try the local food. Makes me wonder if I should be "taking care of business" off ship to keep from bringing anything on... lol.

[quote name='skylock']I can not even imagine even thinking about taking a cold sandwich with me off the ship and missing the opportunity to sample local fare. The first thing I do in a new port is find out where the locals eat and go there.[/QUOTE]

I also love trying local foods but I can see where others, especially on a budget, may not want to spend the extra money. Lots of people save and save to take thier family cruising and may not have a lot extra for spending on food. Especially when it is free on the ship and if you have a large family. Even a snack for six people adds up very quickly.

I would check with the individual countries that you are visiting and check thier local laws on bringing in food.

[quote name='Wicked_Nurse'][B][FONT=Arial Black][SIZE=3]Wonder about sneaking a midget back on the ship? Anyone tried?:eek: [/SIZE][/FONT][/B][/QUOTE]

What would you do with the midget after you got back on the ship?
Uh, maybe I don't want an answer! - or did you mean widget?

Well it goes to show one thing to me. People do have their opinions. I know now why at night I tend not to go to the dinning room.They seem to be able to group the right aged people together at a table but sometimes they all don't have the same opinions.

Now please lighten up and enjoy the weekend, I recomend the following, 2 parts tequila, 1 part triple sec, 1 part Rose's Lime Juice, juice of one fresh lime. Shake with ice, repeat as needed.

You should NOT do that. Although I'm sure some do 'get away with it', it's not a great idea...and against MOST ports rules. I've seen many sandwiches, fruit, etc. piled up where passengers are disembarking - taken from their bags/coolers, etc.

Most of the islands do not allow food to be brought onto their land because it could possibly endanger their ecological system. All they need is something foreign to their island, and their crops could be devastated.

As visitors to these beautiful places, WE should respect their laws.

As far as taking bottled water, no problem. Also, any prepackaged snacks like crackers, cookies, chips (as long as they are sealed by the manufacturer) is ok. However, why not enjoy the new and various food that you've never tried before...? Part of traveling to me is trying local cuisine.:)

This is simply not true. Most islands have no objection at all and in fact the small luxury lines often prepare picnic for their passengers to take off the ship.

I have never even considered taking food off the ship. To me, part of the experience is trying different foods from different cultures. I can understand why someone with small children might want to bring some sort of snack items but don't quite understand why adults feel they need to "sneak" food off the ship.

Most places that have laws against this don't allow fruits and veggies, some don't allow meat to be brought in. Just avoid bringing fruits and veggies (those are the items you see most confiscated) and it should be okay. You can search the local laws for the country you are going to, but most places disallow the fruits and veggies, there aren't many that don't. It's a a good practice when you look at what has happened to our agriculture because of morons bringing fruit into the country, I wouldn't wish that on any other country, especially one welcoming me to visit.

I have to admit two things in relation to this thread: 1) I am a pretty big guy and I rarely miss a meal and so this thread pre-cruise was of great interest to me and 2) I'm pretty cheap so I went into this cruise thinking that I would probably grab some food on board and pack it on to the island or buy some cheap snack food on the islands.

That said . . . I don't know if it was the heat, humidity or the fun, but other than two excursions which included lunch my wife and I never ended up eating on the islands other than purchasing drinks (which was a bit of a surprise for me and for my wife since she says my stomach has its own built-in alarm clock). We always had a pretty decent-sized breakfast, would purchase some drinks while on the island and then ate at the early seating dinner . . . and now that we're back I can't say as though I ever felt deprived or hungry.

What would you do with the midget after you got back on the ship?

Uh, maybe I don't want an answer! - or did you mean widget?

Can't get images of wicked nurses smuggling midgets out of my head. :eek:

This is simply not true. Most islands have no objection at all and in fact the small luxury lines often prepare picnic for their passengers to take off the ship.

It is absolutely true. Just because some small luxury lines are poor corporate citizens doesn't make it not so. I imagine their environmental practices are less then ideal as well.

Can't get images of wicked nurses smuggling midgets out of my head. :eek:

It is absolutely true. Just because some small luxury lines are poor corporate citizens doesn't make it not so. I imagine their environmental practices are less then ideal as well.

lmao, your a liking it arent ya. uh huh makin ya think. lol

Archived