A verandah, sir? Will that be an inside or oceanview?

Sundagger

For those who think the HAL ships are just too tiny and have nothing to do --- here are the latest renderings of RCI's Genesis class ships. You will note the lovely balconies overlooking Central Park.

http://www.royalcaribbean-genesis.com/renderings.html

And a newspaper article about it:

http://www.miamiherald.com/business/story/496710.html

There is lots more information on the www.royalcaribbean-genesis.com site

Ships that big beg the question of what to do with the interior space, and the bean counters must have thought that this will bring in more revenue than either a) a vast number of inside cabins, or b) extremely large suites that wend themselves back from the windows. This takes the cruise experience even more to just being a massive hotel exploiting third-world labor. At least they'll be able to go to Labadee -whoop-de-doo.

Speaking of hotels, my wife knew people who stayed at an interior room of this nature, overlooking an enclosed courtyard. Report is that because of all the reflecting walls, the noise problem is MASSIVE. They had better make good soundproofing on the cabin windows!

I see no reason for United States or Canada ports to accommodate these monsters. Let people fly to Labadee to get on them.

I know this will be immensely popular with many folks. Good for them. As for me, why duplicate your land-based experience at sea? I can go to the mall or take a walk in the park any time I choose. When I cruise, I am getting away from my normal land-locked experiences. I want to be on a ship, not a floating subdivision.

Congratulations to Royal Caribbean and all who are eagerly anticipating this new vessel. I'm sure it will be striking. But it's not for me by any stretch.

I know this will be immensely popular with many folks. Good for them. As for me, why duplicate your land-based experience at sea? I can go to the mall or take a walk in the park any time I choose. When I cruise, I am getting away from my normal land-locked experiences. I want to be on a ship, not a floating subdivision.

Congratulations to Royal Caribbean and all who are eagerly anticipating this new vessel. I'm sure it will be striking. But it's not for me by any stretch.

It sustains the fantasy that passengers are at a resort and they bring in a new port, every morning. If there is a pitch or roll, some passengers will tantrum and demand their money back or a free cruise.

I'm with you. I am not curious.

I'm having a hard time accepting 3000 passengers on the Grand Princess in Oct, it will be the largest ship I've sailed on. I have no interest whatsoever in sailing a ship with 5000 passengers. While I don't have a particular loyalty to any cruiseline, I do prefer the "smaller" ships of HAL. We really enjoyed our Alaska Inside Passage cruise on the "old" Noordam and I think she was around 40,000 gross tons. She was easy to walk around, get from end to end without wearing yourself out. Then we did the Zuiderdam at around 80,000 gross tons and that still wasn't too bad, but didn't make the trip around here nearly as often.

The behemoth ships seem to be more of a resort on water, I don't sail for the ship, I sail for the ports that ship visits. As a matter of fact, I do very little of what is offered on the ship. Bingo is nice, but it's too expensive to play much. And I'm not interested in trivia games, art auctions, swimming pool, etc. So bottom line is they aren't attracting me to these behemoth amusement parks at all. But they must be for someone, or they wouldn't keep making them bigger and bigger.

They'll have to have tenders the size of S-class ships.

I'm sure some people will love the the Genesis class ships, and more power to them; they can cruise on them and leave us on HAL alone. Personally, I have no interest in these floating monstrosities at all. They look like a logistics nightmare.

I know this will be immensely popular with many folks. Good for them. As for me, why duplicate your land-based experience at sea?

I am so glad I discovered cruising at this point in my life ... before every cruise line only sails huge ships ... because the day this Genesis crap is my only option, well ... heck ... I'd sooner just do land trips to nice resorts. Caribbean points ain't too long a flight from Philly.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Looking at the picture of Genisis Gem, I could see a very large open space with about 5 floors of cabins on either side. The space in the middle is also very large, so to keep the centre of gravity as low as possible, so that the ship is stable even in rough weather, these cabins have to be kept as light as possible. I was wondering if the level of insulation in this part of the ship will be reduced to a minimum because of this and therefore there will be increases in the noise heard from adjacent cabins.

I will never understand RCCLS constant attempts to make us forget we're on the ocean. Every new ship that comes out seems to turns its views inward. I guess gazing at the ocean is a non-revenue producing activity.

That won't be a port call when they go to a port. It will be repopulation; a landing. :eek:

Or an invasion! ::gulp::

I know my relatives will love this ship. They love all the brouhaha on the big RCI ships. We have promised to go on one with them someday since they have cruised on HAL with us three times. :eek:

And my husband and I think the Vistas are too big!!! Of course, we're both Los Angeles born-and-bred and choose to live in a small town in Utah. We like small! I'm glad there's something for everyone, though.

Robin

Or an invasion! ::gulp::

I know my relatives will love this ship. They love all the brouhaha on the big RCI ships. We have promised to go on one with them someday since they have cruised on HAL with us three times. :eek:

And my husband and I think the Vistas are too big!!! Of course, we're both Los Angeles born-and-bred and choose to live in a small town in Utah. We like small! I'm glad there's something for everyone, though.

Robin

I agree - I hope HAL keeps the S & R class ships for a LONG time.

There are people on another board who are unhappy because Carnival doesn't have anything to match the Genesis class.

It's refreshing to find that many other cruisers feel the same way as I do. When I saw the picture of "Central Park, I shuttered....:eek:

Yes I want to wake up to step onto my balcony to look straight into the cabin directly across from me.......:rolleyes:

Give me a 'S' Class and yes, even a Vista class ship, instead of that behometh! Can you imagine debarkation the last day for that large a ship?? :rolleyes:

Can you imagine debarkation the last day for that large a ship?? :rolleyes:
I don't imagine they'll be doing many tender ports!! It would just take toooooo long to get people off and on the ship!

Archived