A verandah, sir? Will that be an inside or oceanview?

Sundagger

There are people on another board who are unhappy because Carnival doesn't have anything to match the Genesis class.
Then let Carnival Cruise Lines build one for themselves. (But I very seriously doubt this will happen.)

You certainly can't say that RCI doesn't build diverse ships. However, even within their own fleet, there will be a certain type of passenger drawn to this new ship - probably someone who wouldn't be happy on a more traditional ship, say, the Radiance of the Seas. Just looking at the 'Central Park' renderings makes me slightly nauseated! I just hate the idea.

While I personally have zero desire to sail the Genesis-class, I imagine there will be more than enough people who will. Diversity's not a bad thing, as long as every cruise line doesn't go 'me too!' (which, so far, most lines haven't, preferring to innovate on their own.)

I want to feel like I'm at sea; I cruise to get away from the city, not bring it closer to me.

For those who think the HAL ships are just too tiny and have nothing to do --- here are the latest renderings of RCI's Genesis class ships. You will note the lovely balconies overlooking Central Park.

http://www.royalcaribbean-genesis.com/renderings.html

And a newspaper article about it:

http://www.miamiherald.com/business/story/496710.html

There is lots more information on the www.royalcaribbean-genesis.com site

Interesting ship. Although it not something I imagine liking, I am sure they will have not problem finding people who do. I have never cruised and was looking for a smaller ship for our upcoming cruise to Alaska. I had wanted the Princess Tahitian, but its itinerary did not suit us. We are on the 1400+ passenger Volendam and I believe that will be more than enough people for me.

This ship is the size of a small city or a large sub-division. Why go on a cruise at all?

I can not envision 5400 passengers and 3000 crew members on a single ship.

My sentiments exactly. My wife showed me the article in the Sun-Sentinel this morning. Her comment was, "Here's a cruise ship I don't want to go on!"

Padraic

It doesn't do anything for me.:( Just getting off the ships in ports will take a long time - they may have to do it like tenders on normal ships - get a ticket in one of the lounges and wait until there's space to get off. Let alone debarking and looking for your luggage. Ugh. :eek: Nancy

I'm just glad we enjoyed the true experience of cruising before all these megaships were created. I remember when I thought 2000 were too many. That will be considered tiny in comparison.

When DH read me an article about this yesterday, I couldn't imagine it. Can't wait to show him the pictures!

Thanks so much for the link.:)

We are already all ON a gigantic cruise ship. Those of us in the United States are cruising (slowly, to be sure) in a couple of different directions depending on which side of the San Andreas faultline we live on. Folks on other continents are also cruising in one direction or another.

Ergo, if I want to be on a gigantic cruise ship, I can just stay home.

OK, I can honestly see where for just once the Posters here on HAL are ALL in agreement;) (Reminds me of that Pepsi radio commericial)

But in looking at the pictures of the new ship, especially the evening picture of Central Park you can certainly tell it is NOT a HAL ship. Just look how they are all dressed and all the men wearing a Tux :D :D (Yes, I am joking so please no flames)

CP20Night.jpg?t=1208382431

I think that it's a pretty neat concept. While I wouldn't book the ship just because of it's features, if it offered an itinerary that was at least 10 days, and to good ports, I wouldn't hesitate to try it.

I've had nice cruises on both the Carnival Conquest and the Grand Princess. The only pain in the arse was debarkation. Otherwise, I didn't feel "crowded".

I dunno.... it might be a fun change! :)

(I can have FUN anywhere..... sometimes you've got to make your own!);)

Well, I can see people won't know where they are sailing, or what the scenery is like outside. I see people holidaying in "perfect temperature weather" all year long.

Definitely not for me, and I will tell my husband he isn't allowed to go on it also!! ha ha

J

I didn't see this in the article, but we read this ship will hold approximately 5500 people. That's almost 3 times what most of us are used to on HAL's Vista class. I can't even wrap my brain around that number.

And with a ship that size, how many ports will it be able to dock? So that's leaves us tendering. That should be fun jockeying for position to tender in. Not my cup of tea!!!

That said, my curiosity is definitely peaked and I would love to be able to take a tour:) !

I've cruised on ships that were smaller than "Central Park". How I'd love a balcony overlooking "Central Park" looking straight across at all my neighbors!!! For anyone who wants to forget they're on a ship, this is perfect.

It is pretty amazing and my first thought was - why would I go on a ship like this? Why not just book a hotel. My problem with it is that I think it will have a big ripple effect on any other cruise ship unfortunate enough to be in port with this baby on the same day. There goes the neighborhood! Will all the ports be able to accept a ship of this size? Wherever it's going - I'm not! Sorry to see this happen......

[quote name='HeatherInFlorida']I didn't see this in the article, but we read this ship will hold approximately 5500 people. That's almost 3 times what most of us are used to on HAL's Vista class. I can't even wrap my brain around that number.

And with a ship that size, how many ports will it be able to dock? So that's leaves us tendering. That should be fun jockeying for position to tender in. Not my cup of tea!!!

[B][U]That said, my curiosity is definitely peaked and I would love to be able to take a tour:) ![/U][/B]

I've cruised on ships that were smaller than "Central Park". How I'd love a balcony overlooking "Central Park" looking straight across at all my neighbors!!! For anyone who wants to forget they're on a ship, this is perfect.[/quote]
[SIZE=4]Heather, I have to agree I would love to have a tour of it. I would even love to have just a tour of Mariner of the Seas or some of the larger Princess ships with out necessarily having to book a cruise. I just wish I lived closer to a port like you and then I would need and "IN" to get my on board for a tour:) I think I have a lot of wishes that are not going to happen :o [/SIZE]

[SIZE=4][COLOR=teal][I]Central Park[/I] looks like a cheaply designed apt complex with walkways. UGH! No privacy on balconies (and as others have stated) I bet it get noisy in the [I]Park[/I]![/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=4][COLOR=#008080][/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=4][COLOR=#008080]I suppose it would attract those who like big, glitzy land resorts--not cruising at sea. [/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=4][COLOR=#008080][/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=4][COLOR=#008080]Can you imagine the logistics when the cruise ends? Pax can't stay in cabins while waiting to depart (as on HAL) I shutter to think of all those pax, their carryons, waiting for their color/number tag to depart.....:eek: [/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE=4][COLOR=teal]No, thnk you, I'll pass...:D [/COLOR][/SIZE]

[FONT="Garamond"][SIZE="4"]Hmmm - With all the shops and restaurants opening to the "Park", it's gonna really s*ck when it rains...

I wonder how long until the trees & grass start dying and get replaced with cheap plastic plants and Astroturf...
...or some drunken fool climbs over the rail of the the elevator/bar and falls off...
...or some exhibitionists leave the drapes open while making whoopee in their interior-verandah stateroom?
[I]"Mommy, what is that lady doing?":eek: [/I]
[/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='Two if by Sea'][B]We are already all ON a gigantic cruise ship. Those of us in the United States are cruising (slowly, to be sure) in a couple of different directions depending on which side of the San Andreas faultline we live on. Folks on other continents are also cruising in one direction or another.

Ergo, if I want to be on a gigantic cruise ship, I can just stay home.[/B][/quote]

Eh, that ship moves to slowly, you can't even feel any motion. Might as well be on dry land...

[quote name='LAFFNVEGAS'][SIZE=4][/SIZE]
[SIZE=4]But in looking at the pictures of the new ship, especially the evening picture of Central Park you can certainly tell it is [B]NOT[/B] a HAL ship. Just look how they are all dressed and all the men wearing a Tux :D :D (Yes, I am joking so please no flames)[/SIZE]

[/quote]

Oh, and the HAL brochures give an accurate depiction of the average HAL cruiser... :D

No Thanks, been on a big RCI ship once and never again and I thought 3000 Pax was too much, the long lines and waits for shore excursions were awfull. I think even the Eurodam is too large. :eek: I love the smaller HAL and Celebrity ships.

[quote name='Sundagger']For those who think the HAL ships are just too tiny and have nothing to do --- here are the latest renderings of RCI's Genesis class ships. You will note the lovely balconies overlooking Central Park.

[URL]http://www.royalcaribbean-genesis.com/renderings.html[/URL]

And a newspaper article about it:

[URL]http://www.miamiherald.com/business/story/496710.html[/URL]

There is lots more information on the [URL="http://www.royalcaribbean-genesis.com"]www.royalcaribbean-genesis.com[/URL] site[/quote]

The ship looks really cool. For me it is nice to see something different then other ships but,too sail a ship that holds 5400 people OMG NO WAY !!!!!. :eek: Can you see trying to get a seat at one of the shows its hard enough now on the smaller ships. If the cost was a steal to book I would reconsider;)

Archived