Celebrity Solstice - November 30th, 2009 - Transatlantic

spikeya4

Looking forward to it. A little nervous that we would be the only "FOD" on the ship. Looking forward to meeting all. Matt 38 and Me, Murad "40ish) from Texas/California) See at at the Martini bar. Now what to we pack. I already have 3 bags packed. Not sure to take heavy winter cloths or fall layers. I am used to just sitting on a beach with a cocktail. This will be a new adventure!

Hello Murad and Matt:

You have nothing to be nervous about. Trust me, you will not be the only FOD's on the ship.

I do not recommend packing heavy winter wear. I doubt that you will need it. I have crossed as late as mid-November and it has never been that cold. What I do recommend is that you dress in layers as some of the ports may be on the cool side. As we progress south, it will ge warmer. Something else that you could do is to check out the weather a couple of days before you leave and that will give you an idea of what temperatures to expect.

Have fun packing!

Juan

Looking forward to it. A little nervous that we would be the only "FOD" on the ship. Looking forward to meeting all. Matt 38 and Me, Murad "40ish) from Texas/California) See at at the Martini bar. Now what to we pack. I already have 3 bags packed. Not sure to take heavy winter cloths or fall layers. I am used to just sitting on a beach with a cocktail. This will be a new adventure!

You will have a great experience on this TA cruise. Like Juan said, doing a TA you will experience a port intensive beginning, then many days of leisure time at sea. I just love those sea days!

Most people overpack, myself included. Be aware that most, if not all, airlines will charge you for your excess baggage. I plan to pack a bit less and send some clothes out for laundering mid way thru the cruise.

As for heavier clothing, I'm planning to layer as it will be Fall in Rome as well. Once we depart Rome, and start heading south, we'll run into warmer weather. Hoping to wear some shorts as we approach the Caribbean.

See you onboard!

Ciao,

Michael :cool:

Welcome Murad and Matt. I have been on quite a few cruises and am thinking the same thing about packing..what to pack. At least you have started your packing. I am going to make myself not overpack and also use ships laundry. Look forward to meeting you guys.

Walter

Hello Murad and Matt:

You have nothing to be nervous about. Trust me, you will not be the only FOD's on the ship.

I do not recommend packing heavy winter wear. I doubt that you will need it. I have crossed as late as mid-November and it has never been that cold. What I do recommend is that you dress in layers as some of the ports may be on the cool side. As we progress south, it will ge warmer. Something else that you could do is to check out the weather a couple of days before you leave and that will give you an idea of what temperatures to expect.

Have fun packing!

Juan

Greetings Juan,

I will be pulling out my luggage this week. Gonna start laying out the clothes, according to an already drafted packing list.

On another note, a good friend of mine was planning to go on this cruise, but didn't really want to commit due to possible layoffs at his co. & the very sad state of the economy. Well, he got the axe last week and decided to pull the trigger on the cruise. Even at this late date, he was able to get a great deal. Damn, him! I'm so excited he will be joining us on the cruise. Another sister to pal around with. Woohoo!!

Everyone have a great day!

Ciao,

Hello Michael:

I am getting all excited with this conversation about packing. I cannot believe that I only have two and half more weeks of work and it is time to leave. I'll probably leave the packing until the last two days before I leave as I do not work on Thanksigving day or the day after. So have two whole days to pack. I have a check list that I follow so that I don't forget anything. But knowing me, someone who hates to leave things until the last minute, I will probably start the packing on Monday night before I leave the U.S. (I leave on Saturday, Nov. 28th).

I am so sorry to hear about your friend losing his job. I have been through this myself back in Oct. 2005 and two weeks later I was flying to Barcelona to do my first TA crossing. I haven't stopped doings TA's since then. I had such a great time that by the time I disembarked in Miami I had completely forgotten that I had been laid off from work after 25 years. We'll have to think of something to cheer him up. During these tough times, he needs all the help he can get.

Can't wait!

Juan

Michael:

I looked up my cabin price to see if there had been any price decrease over when I booked in April 2008 but the price is still more or less the same as when I booked. What category did your friend book? Is he traveling solo? Did he pay a single supplement? If so, did he have to pay 200% or did he get a break in the supplement? My category price had increased a few hundred $'s during the months leading up to final payment but right now it is down to the same as when I originally booked.

Juan

Hey guys,

I’ve compiled a list of all of us who have posted on this board; looks like we have a diverse group of gents! If you would like to be added to this list (I know there are lots of you out there!) or would like to give additional information, please post! If I accidently left you out, my apologies (but hey, you’re still going, right?). I am sure all of us are getting mighty excited for this trip!

Here goes!

Spikeya4 – Dennis and Josh from New York City, NY

Kwokpot- travelling with partner from Philadelphia, PA

Stinsowm- Walter from Nashville, TN. Travelling with benuzair

Benuzair- Ben from Malaysia, residing in Nashville, TN. Travelling with Stinsowm

Rusty311- Larry from Pomona, CA

Wim- Bill from San Diego

Rienreiter- Juan, travelling with 6 friends and family

jeanpatrick- John and Patrick from Montreal, Canada

2berliner- Stefan from Berlin, Germany

Bobnjeff- bob and Jeff from Sarasota and Quebec

Mikey2611- Mike from Ontario Canada

Blade8- Michael from Seattle, WA, travelling with friends

Cruiselovers21 – travelling with partner from Amsterdam, Holland

Chongkwang- from Arlington, VA

Hairystach- Mark from Australia

Furrphy- Mark from Australia

Levijohns- Levi and Boris from Fort Collins, CO

USAmo- Murad and Matt from Texas and California

Great list Ben - thanks for taking the time to put it together!

Quick question for those of you who have been on a Transatlantic before (and I am sure I could find this on Google, but figured I would come to the experts) - How does the time/clock work on the ship when we leave from Europe? Does the ship stay on European time or start on US time, or do we change the clocks each night?

Thanks for any info! Hope everyone had a great weekend.

Josh

We have done 4 TA and they all changed the ships clocks as we entered each time zone so.... you can look forward to lots of clock changes.

We are busy trying to wrap things up at home in Sarasota. Since we are going on three back to back cruises for 40 nights it is hard to pack and lots to deal with before we leave. Can't wait until we are on the road.

Jeff and Bob

We have done 4 TA and they all changed the ships clocks as we entered each time zone so.... you can look forward to lots of clock changes.

We are busy trying to wrap things up at home in Sarasota. Since we are going on three back to back cruises for 40 nights it is hard to pack and lots to deal with before we leave. Can't wait until we are on the road.

Jeff and Bob

So during the crossing, there will be nightly time changes, but since we're going West, we'll GAIN an hour each night.

Princess TA's were the strangest, though, since they changed time during the AFTERNOON. Going EASTBOUND, 2PM became 3PM, didn't like that in the least.

Hey guys,

I’ve compiled a list of all of us who have posted on this board; looks like we have a diverse group of gents! If you would like to be added to this list (I know there are lots of you out there!) or would like to give additional information, please post! If I accidently left you out, my apologies (but hey, you’re still going, right?). I am sure all of us are getting mighty excited for this trip!

Here goes!

Kwokpot- travelling with partner from Philadelphia, PA

Stinsowm- Walter from Nashville, TN. Travelling with benuzair

Benuzair- Ben from Malaysia, residing in Nashville, TN. Travelling with Stinsowm

Rusty311- Larry from Pomona, CA

Wim- Bill from San Diego

Rienreiter- Juan, travelling with 6 friends and family

jeanpatrick- John and Patrick from Montreal, Canada

Bobnjeff- bob and Jeff from Sarasota and Quebec

Blade8- Michael from Seattle, WA, travelling with friends

Cruiselovers21 – travelling with partner from Amsterdam, Holland

Furrphy- Mark from Australia

Yes, great list, I think we're all going to takeover the dance club each night!

Hey Ladies!

Matt and I will only be on the Eastern Med cruise from Nov 20th until the 30th. We would love to do the TA trip, hopefully that will be a our next trip. We could only squeeze out 2 weeks of work at this time.

I hope some of you "boys" will be on the first part of the voyage.

Safe travels to all.

I have officially packed 3 1/2 bags...now for my carry ones...lol!

Matt and Murad the Texas boys!

Hi All:

Matt and Murad: I thought you were going on the TA? Did you change your mind or did I misinterpret your posts? In any case, have a great cruise.

Hi Ben: Thanks for putting together the list. Let me provide you with a few updates:

A) Rusty311 - Larry from Pomona, CA will not be on this cruise

B) Rienreiter - Juan (me) am from Fort Lauderdale and I am now one of a group of 12 friends and some of their relatives

C) jeanpatrick- John and Patrick from Montreal, Canada will not be on this cruise

D) Blade8- Michael from Seattle, WA, travelling with friends. Michael is traveling with a group of 10 friends; most of them are from the Virginia area.

E) Cruiselovers21 – travelling with partner from Amsterdam, Holland only posted once. I am not sure that they are going.

These are the only ones that I am aware of. Pretty much the rest of us are posting occasionally.

Michael: Where in Virginia are your friends from? Many years ago I lived in Alexandria, just outside of DC. I still go up there frequently as I still have relatives in Fairfax County.

Josh: There will be one time change at 2 AM between Cartagena and Funchal. After Funchal, there will be additional time changes until we have reached EST. I have been on one east bound crossing where the time was changed at 1 PM. First time I have seen that. Did not bother me though as I like to stay up late and somehow some people think they have to go to bed early because they are going to lose one hour of sleep.

Kwokpot: Take over the dance club each night? YOU BET!!!

Juan

Please add "Moi" to da list! I'm the friend of Michael's from Seattle who's joining the Solstice TA cruise last minute (killer deal for last minute booking.. SWEET!). Got RIF'd last week but hey, its all good.. what couldn't be better than ending up with time & money in one's hands? Now its all about "Me Time!" and doing fun stuff with the likes of you peeps! But in all seriousness.. really looking forward to the adventure!! This will be my 3rd TA. Need to post my previous ones.

Ed

Hello Everyone,

My name is Kristy. I'm visiting from the other roll call for our cruise. If any of you signed up for the Connections party, there is an issue with the site and they lost all the people. There were 268 people signed up yesterday and today at 1:30 there were only 2. I've put out the alarm in the other rollcall and I have been following yours as well and wanted to give you all a heads up. Have a great day!

Hi Ed:

Welcome to the group. So sorry to hear about your situation but I am glad to see that you have a positive attitude and moving on with life. The same thing happened to me in October 2005 and 2 weeks later I was doing my first TA. And you're right; for now, it is all about "You Time." Nobody is going to take better care of you than you. So indeed it is all about you.

Looking forward to meeting you,

Juan

Hello Everyone,

My name is Kristy. I'm visiting from the other roll call for our cruise. If any of you signed up for the Connections party, there is an issue with the site and they lost all the people. There were 268 people signed up yesterday and today at 1:30 there were only 2. I've put out the alarm in the other rollcall and I have been following yours as well and wanted to give you all a heads up. Have a great day!

Hey Kristy,

I've been reading about the Connections Party hiccup. Hopefully, it won't cause too many problems. I'm sure someone from Celeb saw how many were sign up originally. Thanks for coming here to alert this thread.

See you onboard....real soon!!

Ciao,

Please add "Moi" to da list! I'm the friend of Michael's from Seattle who's joining the Solstice TA cruise last minute (killer deal for last minute booking.. SWEET!). Got RIF'd last week but hey, its all good.. what couldn't be better than ending up with time & money in one's hands? Now its all about "Me Time!" and doing fun stuff with the likes of you peeps! But in all seriousness.. really looking forward to the adventure!! This will be my 3rd TA. Need to post my previous ones.

Ed

I'm so glad life's course is taking you on this cruise. We WILL have a fabulous time.

Hugs and love,

M :cool:

Hi guys & Kirsty,

You may or may not hear from me again before the cruise - I live in remote-ish part of Australia and have to get my net via satellite - which picked yesterday to crash, and about 10 days before anyone can get out here to look at it. Just as well I have most things booked! I have dial up back up, but now that is going on the blink!

Just wanted to say that I'm very much looking forward to meeting everyone, and that we are going to have a GREAT time!

Regards

Mark

Hey Mark:

Sorry to hear about your satellite hiccup. I don't know about you but when I lose my internet connection I go berserk. It's like I can't bear the fact that I cannot use the computer. What did we do before the internet days? Makes you realize how much computers have changed our lives. Hopefully, you will be able to continue to post until you depart. In case you are not able to, I wish you safe travels and will definitely meet you on board the beautiful Solstice. When do you depart from Australia?

Juan

Kwokpot- traveling with partner from Philadelphia, PA

Stinsowm- Walter from Nashville, TN. Traveling with benuzair

Benuzair- Ben from Malaysia, residing in Nashville, TN. Traveling with Stinsowm

Wim- Bill from San Diego

Rienreiter- Juan from Ft. Lauderdale, FL, traveling with a group of 12 friends and some of their relatives

Bobnjeff- Bob and Jeff from Sarasota and Quebec

Blade8- Michael from Seattle, WA, traveling with a group of 10 friends; most of them are from the Virginia area.

Cruiselovers21 – traveling with partner from Amsterdam, Holland

Furrphy- Mark from remote-ish part of Australia

C5Vetteguy- Ed from Seattle, WA. Traveling with Blade8 and friends.

Michael: Where in Virginia are your friends from? Many years ago I lived in Alexandria, just outside of DC. I still go up there frequently as I still have relatives in Fairfax County.

Hey Juan,

Most of the guys from VA live around the Norfolk area. They are quite the Southern bunch!

Last night, I finished booking all my shore excursions. The luggage is out; soon to have it packed. Counting the days. Time does not stand still. ;>)

Ciao for now,

Michael

Hello Everyone,

Thanks Kristy. We are back on board the number was up to 71 when we went on this morning at 7. I hope everyone has been watching the price drops. We were able to upgrade from inside to balcony plus OBC.

Are there any plans for a sailaway party? I see there is a big group on the regular board?? Should we all join them!!??!!

Jeff and Bob

Archived