Fisherman's Wharf : Place to stay pre-cruise

arch199

I have been searching and searching for a good hotel near Fisherman's Wharf, to stay before a 10 cruise to Alaska. I have, in principle, not included places that require full payment immediately with no possibility of change or cancellation. I have narrowed it down to either the Marriot Courtyard on Beach St.or the Holiday Inn Express on North Point Street.

Any and all advice would be VERY much appreciated.

thanks

I have been searching and searching for a good hotel near Fisherman's Wharf, to stay before a 10 cruise to Alaska. I have, in principle, not included places that require full payment immediately with no possibility of change or cancellation. I have narrowed it down to either the Marriot Courtyard on Beach St.or the Holiday Inn Express on North Point Street.

Any and all advice would be VERY much appreciated.

thanks

Actually, the Holiday Inn Express is quite nice. I haven't stayed there - but I know folks who have and it is great location and quite clean.

The Hyatt and Sheraton are good choices, more amenities - not sure of their deposit policy. Sorry, I am not familiar with Marriott in that area.

I would check the star ratings on other travel sites to help you narrow it down beyond price.

My recommendation is check out the Argonaut or Tuscan Inn in the same hood. Joie de Vivre and Kimpton brands (boutique hotels) are totally great ways to stay in San Francisco. Their hotels have personality, and often offer evening receptions and/or breakfasts that make it all worth it - and feel like you are staying in San Fran.

Enjoy your stay!

the agronaut hotel is nice, we toured it once,

im not sure about their policies but they are right at the end of fishermans wharf right before gharadelli square and north beach,

its nice there..

are you going on the dawn ? we are booked for 8/5

the agronaut hotel is nice, we toured it once,

im not sure about their policies but they are right at the end of fishermans wharf right before gharadelli square and north beach,

its nice there..

are you going on the dawn ? we are booked for 8/5

going on the Dawn...but on Jul16..i will report as soon as i return

thaks for all advice...both Holiday Inn Express and tuscan Inn have been highly recommended. The Holiday Inn is pricier but includes a full breakfast. How to choose?

I would be MUCH happier at the Tuscan Inn. The Holiday Inn Express is basic and generic. (But I recognize some people prefer this - not knocking it - just not what I would like or recommend.)

The room service availability, town car service to Financial District, wine reception in evenings along with coffee and biscotti in the morn - and you say it is cheaper???

Well then!

But honestly, I've heard the HI Express is fine. I haven't heard anything about the quality of the breakfast. If that is important to you and you feel brings you out ahead ... that might be a better choice for you.

Locations for both are excellent.

Good luck!

thank you ..we will stay at The Tuscan...breakfast or no breakfast, when all is said and done, Holiday Inn is a Holiday Inn is a Holiday Inn, etc.

I would be MUCH happier at the Tuscan Inn. The Holiday Inn Express is basic and generic. (But I recognize some people prefer this - not knocking it - just not what I would like or recommend.)

The room service availability, town car service to Financial District, wine reception in evenings along with coffee and biscotti in the morn - and you say it is cheaper???

Well then!

But honestly, I've heard the HI Express is fine. I haven't heard anything about the quality of the breakfast. If that is important to you and you feel brings you out ahead ... that might be a better choice for you.

Locations for both are excellent.

Good luck!

You will love the Tuscan Inn. We had breakfast in the little restaurant connected to the hotel. Had their fresh granola with yogurt and berries (can you tell that I still remember that breakfast from over two years ago). The Tuscan Inn is in a great location. We enjoyed the wine in the lobby in the evening, and the concierge was very helpful. And the bedding is the best ever.

I just recommended the hotel to friends who are cruising out of SF, and before doing so, I checked Trip Advisor. It got great ratings.

Have fun in San Francisco.

...I have narrowed it down to either the Marriot Courtyard ...

I would not recommend the Courtyard unless you really want to get Marriott points. I found this Courtyard to be a bit more run down and not quite as clean as other Courtyards. The location is great with easy access to the street car.

I love the Argonaut and the area everytime we come to the City that's where we stay. If your a State Gov't employee they also give a discount.

Here's a couple pictures of one of the rooms we had. I have other pictures on computer at home so hope these help.

607144131_Argonauthotelroom.jpg.7d26151c637b9f26d1e92691b5928d5a.jpg

Argonaut2.jpg.f19ac82debd53619aadc9d876c2752ad.jpg

We stayed here and loved it. Its walking distance to restuarants and shopping , and to Fishermans Wharf. Easy taxi ride to port. You have to have breakfast at the EAGLE CAFE at Fishermans Wharf.. its wonderful!

Correction about the Eagle Cafe -- it's on Pier 39 (right next to where we'll board the Dawn at Pier 35). Fisherman's Wharf is a quarter mile further up the road. The Eagle was on Pier 39 before it was turned into a tourist spot 30 years ago, which is why it's charming. When I used to work at Pier 35, I liked eating at the Eagle because a lot of local fishermen still ate there. But I'd probably only want breakfast there, the fancier restaurants on Pier 39 have better offerings for lunch or dinner.

As far as the hotels right around the wharf are concerned, I'd suggest grabbing whatever fits your pocketbook because you'll likely want to spend your waking hours outside, not in the hotel. If you want a dinner show the night before your sailing and want to stay in that immediate neighboprhood, you might try Teatro Zinzanni at Pier 27. If you're wiling to venture into North Beach (a mile away), Beach Blanket Babylon is also a good show, but I don't think it includes dinner.

If you are going to be here in July, definitely dress in layers.

We loved the Tuscan Inn also and were lucky eough to get it on Priceline. Very unigue with gorgeous rooms. The wine tasting in the evening is not to be missed! One of the best places we have ever stayed! Very convenient to the wharf. Easy walking. A great place for dinner is the Pier Market at Pier 39. If you go to Pier 39 in the morning you can see your ship at the dock.

There is a Safeway within walking distance if you need wine or anything else to take on the ship.

Judith

We really enjoyed the Radisson. The back gate led right out onto the sidewalk across from Fisherman's Wharf. It was about a five minute walk to the ship (Dawn Princess) and we could see the ship from there. There is also a Johnny Rockets connected to the back pool area. There is no restaurant in the hotel, but plenty right around. We loved it, and will stay there again when we are next in San Francisco for a cruise or for sightseeing. It was the absolutely closest hotel to the Pier.

Judith - I was just reading posts and was happy to see that you mentioned Safeway for wine for the cruise. We are going this Sunday to San Fran and staying overnight at the Serrano Hotel. I wanted to pick up wine Monday a.m. before we get on the ship for our cruise to Alaska. I was wondering if we would be near any liquor stores but now I will look for the Safeway.

marlene

• 2 weeks later...
We loved the Tuscan Inn also and were lucky eough to get it on Priceline. Very unigue with gorgeous rooms. The wine tasting in the evening is not to be missed! One of the best places we have ever stayed! Very convenient to the wharf. Easy walking. A great place for dinner is the Pier Market at Pier 39. If you go to Pier 39 in the morning you can see your ship at the dock.

Judith

Any words of wisdom to get the Tuscan Inn on Priceline?? Is that a 3 or 4 star?

Archived