Does anyone know the difference

between these two Regent Alaska Tours? (other than the champagne and a brass trinket & a bottle of water - which are not worth $102 IMHO)

White Pass Scenic Railroad - $126

Duration: 3-3½ Hours.

Club Mariner, Seated, Wheelchair.

Code: SKW-3080

Skagway's White Pass and Yukon Route is the "Scenic Railway of the World". Built in 1898 during the Klondike Gold Rush, this narrow gauge railroad is an International Historic Civil Engineering Landmark. The WP and YR climbs almost 3,000 feet in just 20 miles, and features steep grades of up to 3.9% and cliff-hanging turns of 16 degrees.

Experience the breathtaking panorama of mountains, glaciers, gorges, waterfalls, tunnels, trestles, and historic sites from the comfort of vintage parlor cars. See Bridal Veil Falls, Inspiration Point, Dead Horse Gulch and the original Klondike "Trail of '98". This fully narrated excursion includes a complimentary copy of WP and YR's collectible All Aboard magazine, which details the history, route and sites.

Please note: This tour is highly recommended for passengers confined to a wheelchair.

and

White Pass Scenic Railroad by Steam Train - $228

Duration: 3½ Hours.

Seated.

Code: SKW-4113

Skagway's White Pass and Yukon Route is the "Scenic Railway of the World". Built in 1898 during the Klondike Gold Rush, this narrow gauge railroad is an International Historic Civil Engineering Landmark. The WP and YR climbs almost 3,000 feet in just 20 miles, and features steep grades of up to 3.9% and cliff-hanging turns of 16 degrees.

Experience the breathtaking panorama of mountains, glaciers, gorges, waterfalls, tunnels, trestles, and historic sites from the comfort of vintage parlor cars pulled by our authentic Steam Engine. Other sites include Bridal Veil Falls, Inspiration Point, Dead Horse Gulch and the original Klondike "Trail of '98". At the summit, enjoy a champagne toast receive a brass ornament of certification, certifying your entry into one of the most elite clubs in Alaska, the "White Pass Summit Club" This fully narrated excursion includes a bottle of water, along with a complimentary copy of WP and YR's collectible All Aboard magazine, which details the history, route and sites.

Is it two different trains? Different seating? We're in the Mariner Aug. 13 sailing, first time to AK - so I'll be here and on the Alaska board asking a lot of questions - thanks for your help and insight!!

The first one is pulled by a regular diesel engine. The 2nd is pulled by a real steam engine. I imagine there are probably differences in the cars also. My TA recommended the steam engine. We will be renting a car in Skagway though so I don't know any more. If you want to email me, I have a slide show that shows both trains in scenic settings.

I'm puzzled that they would even mention a bottle of water, when there are stacks of bottles as you leave the ship for your excursion.

We did the railway excursion in 2001, went one way on the train and back on a bus with a stop at a "mining village". They had a show, it was kitchy but fun.

In 2005, the diesel-powered train was shared with other cruise ships (there are typically 2-3 in port at any time). The steam train was exclusive to Regent and used the tracks that run right down the dock so the train was alongside the ship. If you are a railroad buff, then the steam train is for you. If you are a scenery buff, both are the same (same cars, as well). BTW for either buffs, the WP&Y lets you ride on the end platforms from which you'll get the best views and pictures. They'll fill up fast after you are allowed out (at the yard limit leaving Skagway).

I'm puzzled that they would even mention a bottle of water, when there are stacks of bottles as you leave the ship for your excursion.

Pam, the bottled water provided is a special blue bottle with a train image and White Pass written on it. I brought mine home in 06 and still have it, unopened. Not sure why!!

Hi,

I did the basic excursion in Sept 2006. The train will pull right up on the dock and then you just find the cars for Regent. At that time, I think you could pay a good bit more and get cookies served during the trip.

The basic excursion was very nice. Do listen to the narration and enjoy the views. I bought the dvd they sell on the train ($10) rather than spend the time trying to take pix.

In September, it was a bit cool...there is only a wood or coal stove in the car and the heat didn't go very far.

The fjiord you travel to get to Skagway is absolutely beautiful. My cruise came in early one morning. Set your clock and get up to enjoy the trip in....you won't be sorry.

Alaska is beautiful...and on Mariner...it's a wonderful cruise.

Gemlover

Archived