New Fuel Supplement

TenerifeSharon

Just received an eMail announcement that Azamara, Celebrity & Royal Caribbean will all be charging an increased fuel supplement of $ 8 per person per day (up to $112 per person per cruise) for the first 2 guests in a stateroom for all bookings made after May 1, 2008.

Royal Caribbean announced an increase in the fuel supplement which applies to all their lines including Celebrity..

http://www.rclinvestor.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=103045&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=1133473&highlight=

Hi Don !

Certainly not happy news, but you can thank $120 per barrel Oil for this move. It stinks that Oil prices are totally out of control. I certainly can understand the move.

When Carnival raised theirs, I put a booking together just to have it in the system and miss the increase.

Hi Rick !

At least they are giving you a week to book, and not pay the higher fuel surcharge. This is more reasonable than last time around. Someone at RCI used their heads this time.

This is the fair and honest way of handling it. Only bookings made AFTER May 1 will be affected by the new charge.

Hi ECC !

If I may correct you, that should say bookings ON or AFTER May 1 would be affected. The last day to book at the current surcharge would be April 30th.

Hi ECC !

If I may correct you, that should say bookings ON or AFTER May 1 would be affected. The last day to book at the current surcharge would be April 30th.

Thanks, Andy! That's an important clarification...that one day could cost you.

Well darnation! We're ok for our Fall cruise on Constellation (well, once we pay the CC with the bar bill on it from the Infinity). But now we have to decide on a spring TA or Alaska and I'm not going to Alaska without a lift to a hot tub onboard. DH is going to love this. Thankfully we do have a "reserve" put up for a future cruise to get the OBC.

If you book a 14 day cruise you actually save $28 in fuel surcharges over what you pay now. One more martini:D

Currently the supplement is $5/day, max. $70. It's going to $8./day, max. $112., so $42. pp more on a 14 day cruise.

Hi Don !

Certainly not happy news, but you can thank $120 per barrel Oil for this move. It stinks that Oil prices are totally out of control. I certainly can understand the move.

But if oil prices drop (it is a long time before and who knows what could happen - I like to think optomistically) before our 2009-2010 cruises, will they refund the fuel surcharge?

But if oil prices drop (it is a long time before and who knows what could happen - I like to think optomistically) before our 2009-2010 cruises, will they refund the fuel surcharge?

You are kidding, aren't you? Never will happen.

I like to be optimistic too....and then I recognize that I am reminded that there is this evil demon called 'reality'... who just keeps butting in and wrecking the game plan....I hate when that happens ;)

Is it only for new bookings? It reread the announcement and it says.

" As a result of ongoing record high fuel prices, bookings on or after May 1, 2008, will be subject to a revised fuel supplement".

That sounds like it will not be applied to my planned November TA. If it was to be applied, because we are 4 in a room and there is not current charge for the 3rd and 4th passenger, it would increase our Fuel Supplement from $140 to $308.

I have to think that at some point the ____ is going to hit the fan. The fuel charges, the increased gas prices here at home, and the increases prices we are paying for everything here at home due to increased gas prices... its going to create a "Pull Back" from the booming cruise industry and fewer people are going to be able afford cruising, or those who can afford it cutting back to lesser cabins or less frequent cruises. I am usually an optimist, but I have to think that possibly the cruise lines are going to get hit by this either way. I guess my optimism would be that eventually the cruise prices are going to have to come down like they did after 9/11 in order to get the passengers on the ships. The cruise lines are caught in a catch 22, they can't afford to the increased fuel charges and they can't afford to have their ships sailing unfilled.

Maybe we'll see more itineraries with with over night stays in port. I'm not sure that helps them a whole lot since they still have to generate power for the ships, but they don't have to move it as much.

Wow they're going to also be charging the 3rd and fourth person in a cabin now.:eek: Previously it was limited to the first two!! Need to book the FV for the 5 of us this winter while on the cruise this week.

Hi Don !

And it will affect airfare very soon. The Los Angeles Times reported Delta is considering raising their airfares 15% to 20% just to cover the increased fuel costs. I'm sure the rest of the airlines will follow suit. The reason oil prices are so high is because oil is based on the US Dollar which has weakened over the past 8-9 years. Here is California we already paying nearly $4.00 per gallon, just filled up yesterday and it was $3.89.

And it will affect airfare very soon. The Los Angeles Times reported Delta is considering raising their airfares 15% to 20% just to cover the increased fuel costs. I'm sure the rest of the airlines will follow suit. The reason oil prices are so high is because oil is based on the US Dollar which has weakened over the past 8-9 years. Here is California we already paying nearly $4.00 per gallon, just filled up yesterday and it was $3.89.

Don't feel bad -- In Germany we are paying ca. $9.00 per gallon (€ 1.40 per litre X 4 at the current $ exchange):eek: That's why Europeans are very conscious about not driving gas guzzlers.

Don't feel bad -- In Germany we are paying ca. $9.00 per gallon (€ 1.40 per litre X 4 at the current $ exchange):eek: That's why Europeans are very conscious about not driving gas guzzlers.

Maybe (but I doubt it) the U.S. will learn something from this.

Archived