Language differences

PrincessRobbo

A pinafore (or "pinny" for short) is a type of sleeveless cotton dress which is worn over a woman's dress to keep it clean when she's doing her housework. It usually crosses over the front and ties at the back. It is different to an "apron" which is only worn to cover the front of a woman's dress.

A lanyard is a loop of cord ,that usually has a whistle attached, and is worn around the neck. Sailors and boy scouts use them. It could also come in useful when you want something handy at all times - like your specs??

When I was in a London gift shop many years ago, a clerk asked if he could help. I told him I was looking for small presents for people back home. He said "Rubbers make nice souveneirs." I was, understandably, taken aback. He went on to add, "Our's have a picture of Churchill on them." When I regained my composure, I said I would REALLY like to see one of those.

(I still have that Churchill eraser to this day, and laugh whenever I see it.)

• 1 year later...
11) Shag. To you a dance. To us sexual congress. In other words you may have to summon up the courage to have a shag with someone, before you might have a shag with them later on. Also a sea bird similar to a cormorant and a type of rough tobacco.

The Shag was also a popular haircut for women here in Canada in the early 70's. A very pretty young Canadian friend had trouble finding a hairdresser in Australia who was familiar with the style. We were in a very public location when she asked in a louder voice than intended "Why can't I get a decent shag in Australia?"

I still remember how my mouth dropped open when a young man told me he was going to knock me up (call on me) in the morning. :D

Also in Australia, we were invited to a friend's house for tea one day. We ate an enormous meal as we expected a cup of tea and perhaps a couple of cookies. You know, like "drop by for a cup of coffee". We were horrified to find that they had prepared a huge and special meal for us. Who knew that tea was a meal there?

Despite visiting America forty-two times since 1980, and living there in 1984 for a while, as a "wetback", I still don't have any idea why they were laughing.

Can you enlighten me?

As a wetback from England you certainly had a long swim. :D

Thanks for this thread. My very first cruise (upgraded to Grill class on the QE2). The last night the stewardess (and yes grill class came with a steward) asked if we wanted to be Blown on the horn or Knocked up in the morning. We were 2 Califonia natives on our first trip out of the county - Ok so it was only to the Caribbean. OK - blown or knocked up your choice.

The question left us speechless. And when we realized what she was asking we could not stop laughing. We were so underdressed. Being Los Angeles not Society but regular working folks, we did not know (and our travel agent did not tell us) about formal (tux or tails long gown) informal (suit and cocktail dress) and the last casual (sport coat tie and dress for me).

The very proper British (all the crew were Brits) did not say a word to us about our improper attire.

Bollinge,

Don't worry about it, Football is a mystery to us too.

It's like our electoral college.... those who understand why it's necessary, would never be bothered explaining it.

It was the British on the Royal Princess who were laughing at the "Blocked in Traffic" thing.

Apparently, "getting blocked" is yet ANOTHER Brit synonym for "making love".

So, "getting blocked in traffic" is a very good, if racey, reason to be late getting to the ship.

As Americans, I can't, for the like of me, understand why you find American football to be a mystery. Didn't you ever play the game as a kid? Probably not!! In my youth, I used to come home with quite a few bruises after a pick up game. Still understand & enjoy it.

Hey, thanks for reviving this April 2008 thread.

I had never seen it because I never even had booked nor taken any cruises then, let alone heard of cruisecritic. (And now you guys cannot shut me up!:))

Americans from different regions have given me some smiles also. My first day in a new school the Principal (from a small town on the Eastern Shore of Maryland) requested me "to carry the children to the playground" meaning take them. After 20 years, I still be carrying them places.:D

Koozie? Stubby Holder??? I am afraid that I don't know what either are.

:)

A beer Koozie and/or Stubby Holder is a fabric or foam device that is designed to keep a beverage can or bottle cold.

Australian ~ Stubby Holder

AB001

Archived