Carnival vs RCCL

rbden

Our wait staff was amazing on the Glory, and terrible on the Voyager, but to be honest, on any cruise line, it is just the luck of the draw, I am happy with even adequate service, I am kinda laid back that way!

It has been a while since on RCI but I remember the main buffet being a little better on RCI (great desserts) but, on Carnival they had the main buffet PLUS pizza, grille, pasta station, oriental, deli, and fish and chips, so this made Carnival the winner hands down, I probably wouldn't have been impressed if they had offered just the main buffet, but all of these added stations were wonderful.

RCI does have some beautiful ships though, but I liked Carnival as well, lots of eye candy!

MAC

These comparisons are always highly subjective and personal experiences (and how recent they are) can sway an opinion so very strongly -- especially if it is a bad one.

For example, I had some very poor impressions of RCI from my first couple of cruises with them -- surprisingly, mostly because I thought the dining room staff was not very friendly. I didn't find that on later cruises, so my perceptions changed.

On my last Carnival cruise in March, I found our waitress and her assistant to be very congenial. Yes, they were pretty busy, but they did have time to chat with us each day. Our drinks and wine were waiting for us each evening, and we never had to ask for our after-dinner cappuccino either after the first evening (which, by the way, is free on Carnival...)

So, to each their own. It is fine that a certain number of people remain fiercely loyal to "their" cruise line. I, on the other hand, will venture around and give them all a try at least once (and even a second or third chance!)

Dining Room Wait Service – This is really unfair to rate. This is so determined based on the specific staff you are assigned. While one table may get the best wait staff ever, the table next to them may have the worst. The only thing we can compare are the wait staffs that WE had. Fortunately we have never had bad staff on either line. On 2 of the 3 cruises with Carnival we had incredible wait service. The service on our RCI cruise was very good and would rate that the same as the lowest of 3 Carnival Cruises. Our waiters were extremely friendly but the service was just not as good as those other two. Again, this could have been entirely different if we would have had other wait staff on any of these cruises.

I agree with this - my first cruise was on carnival and I had fabulous wait staff - my next cruise on RCCL we had decent but nothing exceptional waitstaff. Our last cruise, on RCCL, we started out with subpar waitstaff and then moved to a table with my favorite waitstaff to date. It is all in the luck of the draw unfortunately!

As for decor - if you haven't been on Liberty of the Seas and seen all the optical illusion artwork all over the halls and stairways then it is hard to say only Carnival can be over the top! Especially when drinking - those squggly lines and 3D pictures.... ack! :D :p But I also like over the top and decor has never bothered me on any ship - I prefer more pizazz than refined though.

And as to the promenade and skating rink on RCCL - eh, not my thing. I do like RCCL a lot and will sail them again but I am really looking forward to coming back to Carnival this summer.

RCCL does not have auto tipping like Carnival. One has to go to the Pursers desk to have them added to their SeaPass card. RCCL still uses the old system of paying on the last night with cash in the envelopes.

that is not true, i was on royal 3 months ago ( the monarch) and just like carnival 10 dollars a day was added to my bill.

RCCL does not automatically add it to your Sail n Sign card like Carnival does. That is what I meant. You have to ask for it to be done. RCCL still gives their passengers the choice to pay in cash without having to go and have it removed from their Sail n Sign account.

RCCL DOES automatically add tips to your Seapass account. They give you choices but that is smoke and mirrors. If the passenger does not make any of the choices, tips ARE ADDED automatically. The vouchers are wasted paper, the servers get the tips with or without vouchers. Only if the pax has gone to the Purser and removed tips from their account, do the servers not get their tips.

NET: It is EXACTLY the same as Carnival. [And that's fine]

Check with the Purser on your next RCCL cruise.

Dan

Just my 2 cents... I have not been on RC, but my in laws have and they were not impressed... Apparently the specific ship they were on at that time (Alaskan cruise), had all the womens restrooms out of order except one with a long line at one time. They said all the ice cream machines were broken and "out of order" as well. My MIL ended up in the hospital for 16 days due to some bug (obviously not the Norovirus, but they never could pinpoint the "bug"), upon her return. They had a miserable time.... Now, could that happen on Carnival? Of course it can! It can happen on any cruise line on any ship. Does their experience make me never want to sail on a RC ship? Nope! I would still give them a whirl.

To be honest, my first cruise (on the Carnival Elation), was perfect and I could not wait to go back again! We booked our second cruise (Carnival Liberty), and I did not have a good time. The staff seemed "bothered" by us, they were not friendly at all, except a chick in the salon always giggled at my DH if we passed by her (childish, I know), the passengers were rude, the ship seemed crowded ALL THE TIME! I just did not have a good time overall.... Did I vow to not cruise again? Nope! We booked a cruise on the Miracle to give Carnival another try. I am so happy the Liberty was not our first, (I have since heard not to sail on a ship so early after it's debut if you are bothered by a somewhat chaotic atmosphere). I guess the crew has to get used to everything too... Who knows, the grumpy, rude passengers probably put them in that mood!

The Miracle... Oh, yes, this is the Carnival I remember! Our wait staff knew our names, they knew what we prefered to drink, they knew the dessert we liked, they busted their butts for us and treated us so well! Our room stewart was so sweet! She always left extra chocolates and our room was spotless... Ahhh.... This is what I remember about the first cruise!!!

I think it depends on the ship(s) you are on, the circumstances (such as passengers, new crew, so on), the time of year, and everything. I personally am very happy with Carnival and I recommend them to everyone. We are sailing on the Glory in October and I can not wait!

I agree with this - my first cruise was on carnival and I had fabulous wait staff - my next cruise on RCCL we had decent but nothing exceptional waitstaff. Our last cruise, on RCCL, we started out with subpar waitstaff and then moved to a table with my favorite waitstaff to date. It is all in the luck of the draw unfortunately!

As for decor - if you haven't been on Liberty of the Seas and seen all the optical illusion artwork all over the halls and stairways then it is hard to say only Carnival can be over the top! Especially when drinking - those squggly lines and 3D pictures.... ack! :D :p But I also like over the top and decor has never bothered me on any ship - I prefer more pizazz than refined though.

And as to the promenade and skating rink on RCCL - eh, not my thing. I do like RCCL a lot and will sail them again but I am really looking forward to coming back to Carnival this summer.

The fact of the matter is that every rating is subjective..not just dining service. I am super glad you all had fabulous wait service, I have not and that's my experience. It should not be luck of the draw either, it should be consistent throughout the line and certainly on the same ship. Having different service from one table to the next is just not acceptable. I dont think its luck of the draw that I had consistently great service on RCI

Just my 2 cents... I have not been on RC, but my in laws have and they were not impressed... Apparently the specific ship they were on at that time (Alaskan cruise), had all the womens restrooms out of order except one with a long line at one time. They said all the ice cream machines were broken and "out of order" as well. My MIL ended up in the hospital for 16 days due to some bug (obviously not the Norovirus, but they never could pinpoint the "bug"), upon her return. They had a miserable time.... Now, could that happen on Carnival? Of course it can! It can happen on any cruise line on any ship. Does their experience make me never want to sail on a RC ship? Nope! I would still give them a whirl.

To be honest, my first cruise (on the Carnival Elation), was perfect and I could not wait to go back again! We booked our second cruise (Carnival Liberty), and I did not have a good time. The staff seemed "bothered" by us, they were not friendly at all, except a chick in the salon always giggled at my DH if we passed by her (childish, I know), the passengers were rude, the ship seemed crowded ALL THE TIME! I just did not have a good time overall.... Did I vow to not cruise again? Nope! We booked a cruise on the Miracle to give Carnival another try. I am so happy the Liberty was not our first, (I have since heard not to sail on a ship so early after it's debut if you are bothered by a somewhat chaotic atmosphere). I guess the crew has to get used to everything too... Who knows, the grumpy, rude passengers probably put them in that mood!

The Miracle... Oh, yes, this is the Carnival I remember! Our wait staff knew our names, they knew what we prefered to drink, they knew the dessert we liked, they busted their butts for us and treated us so well! Our room stewart was so sweet! She always left extra chocolates and our room was spotless... Ahhh.... This is what I remember about the first cruise!!!

I think it depends on the ship(s) you are on, the circumstances (such as passengers, new crew, so on), the time of year, and everything. I personally am very happy with Carnival and I recommend them to everyone. We are sailing on the Glory in October and I can not wait!

I was on the Miracle last year and we had fabulous servers and cabin team. On the first day our waiter asked if I wanted water or iced tea. I told him I love iced tea. Then I asked for lemons. Every night after that, there was a plate of lemons in front of my spot and as soon as I sat down he came over with the iced tea. He also knew I loved the chocolate melting cake and brought that to me every night as well. We loved the Miracle and on the two cruises that I have taken with Carnival we had great service. I'm sure Royal has great service too and one day I will find out. Things can go wrong on any cruiseline and on any vacation. We don't live in a perfect world.

RCCL DOES automatically add tips to your Seapass account. They give you choices but that is smoke and mirrors. If the passenger does not make any of the choices, tips ARE ADDED automatically. The vouchers are wasted paper, the servers get the tips with or without vouchers. Only if the pax has gone to the Purser and removed tips from their account, do the servers not get their tips.

NET: It is EXACTLY the same as Carnival. [And that's fine]

Check with the Purser on your next RCCL cruise.

Dan

Once again, they do not. They give you a choice.

Q: What are gratuity guidelines for cruises? s.gif A: So that you can thank those who have made your cruise vacation better than you could have imagined, we've developed these gratuity guidelines:

Suite attendant: $5.75 USD a day per guest Stateroom attendant: $3.50 USD a day per guest Dining Room Waiter: $3.50 USD a day per guest Assistant Waiter: $2.00 USD a day per guest Headwaiter: $.75 USD a day per guest Note: These gratuities apply to guests of all ages.

Gratuities for other service personnel are at your discretion. A 15% gratuity will automatically be added to your bar bill or wine check when you are served.

Envelopes for gratuities will be provided in your stateroom on the last night of the cruise. Gratuities may be paid in the following ways:

con_bulletgray_ico.gif Pre paid by having them added to your reservation by your booking agent. con_bulletgray_ico.gif Added to your onboard SeaPass account. con_bulletgray_ico.gif Paid in cash at the end of the cruise

No where does it state that they charge it to your card.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=762230

Q: What are gratuity guidelines for cruises? s.gif A: So that you can thank those who have made your cruise vacation better than you could have imagined, we've developed these gratuity guidelines:

Suite attendant: $5.75 USD a day per guest Stateroom attendant: $3.50 USD a day per guest Dining Room Waiter: $3.50 USD a day per guest Assistant Waiter: $2.00 USD a day per guest Headwaiter: $.75 USD a day per guest Note: These gratuities apply to guests of all ages.

Gratuities for other service personnel are at your discretion. A 15% gratuity will automatically be added to your bar bill or wine check when you are served.

Envelopes for gratuities will be provided in your stateroom on the last night of the cruise. Gratuities may be paid in the following ways:

con_bulletgray_ico.gif Pre paid by having them added to your reservation by your booking agent. con_bulletgray_ico.gif Added to your onboard SeaPass account. con_bulletgray_ico.gif Paid in cash at the end of the cruise

Personally I liked having them add it to my card.....much easier for us. We didn't have to figure out how much we would give the staff and we tipped extra for outstanding service.

From your own quote:

"con_bulletgray_ico.gif Added to your onboard SeaPass account. con_bulletgray_ico.gif" I think that says they add it to your card.

I am a frequent cruiser on RCCL. I do not choose to pre-pay tips. I throw away the vouchers, I do not inform the Purser's office [or anyone else] how I want tips handled. The tips ALWAYS are AUTOMATICALLY ADDED to my account. I have no problem with that. When warranted, I tip extra in cash to the individual server. Now had I ever wished to select one of their options, that's how it would have happened. But that's the same on Carnival, the same options are there without the vouchers. But you could ask for envelopes for everyone on Carnival if you wished. Don't know why you're trying to make some point about RCCL doing tipping different than Carnival. They both do it essentially the same and that's fine.

Dan

I have a difficult time remembering the details of my past cruises!

I do know that we absolutely LOVED our Empress cruise. It was a repo (Tampa, Grand Cayman, Jamaica, St T, San Juan - she was then heading on up to NY to start Bermuda runs).

There were lots of Latin Americans on the ship and a great salsa band that played at night on the pool deck.

The wait staff was good, the food was good, our cabin steward was NOT good, but you know what I remember most? The fact that SEVERAL male crew members were hitting on my DD (who had just turned 16). Didn't matter that I was sitting or standing there. And I'm not talking about really young guys, either. It was a bit disconcerting.

People like to point out that RCI doesn't have the tacky pool activities (hairy chest stuff, I guess), but one thing RCI did that I've never seen on Carnival: they had a "Shipindales" performance one night! Yes, folks. Rico, the hot CD and other staff members performed. Not quite to the extent that the Chippendales do, but there was removal of clothing and dancing with female passengers.

It were quite entertaining! ;)

Anyway, I would have no problem cruising RCI again, and if I could find a comparable itinerary on a ship that had decent sized inside cabins at a comparable price, I'd do so. I just haven't been able to do that.

I don't care about ice skating or rock walls or mall-like promenades. I care about getting to ports I want to see and having a pleasant time while on board.

I do NOT care if the staff is overly friendly. I much prefer efficiency.

Our last RCCL cruise it was just like Carnival. It was automatically added to our seapass card. We did not use any vouchers.

People like to point out that RCI doesn't have the tacky pool activities (hairy chest stuff, I guess), but one thing RCI did that I've never seen on Carnival: they had a "Shipindales" performance one night! Yes, folks. Rico, the hot CD and other staff members performed. Not quite to the extent that the Chippendales do, but there was removal of clothing and dancing with female passengers.

Those people have a short memory. I recall mens' "Sexiest Legs" contests on several RCI cruises. Oh, but it was really classy... :D

How about jumping over to the other thread and covering my back, fellow old diabetic cat owner?:o

Dan

God forbid that RCI would do anything the same as Carnival!:D I read that thread too, The reaction was like a socialite clutching her pearls at the thought of something so absurd!;)

MAC

for the value i agree carnival is very good..it made me try it out and i may try it again on a different ship or itinerary. i just prefer rci..thats all folks. this isnt called the cruise critic forum for nothing lol. and dan lighten up already about the tips. its what we say it is ok.

Hey, everybody's entitled to their own opinion. You prefer RCI, that's great...now you know for sure. For me, I always look at other lines, and RCI is consistently one of the most expensive. For me, the differences I read about are NOT worth the cost difference. In fact, some of the service you describe would downright annoy me. Pouring my ketchup? I can do it myself, thanks. Nothing wrong that you like that, just not for me. I hate it when I go to a store a salesperson keeps asking if I need help - I'll let you know if I need anything.

I consistently see complaints that Carnival's breakfast buffet is the same every day. True, but what does RCI offer that's different? Breakfast is breakfast...not too much variety, especially in a buffet environment. Just curious.

Hey, everybody's entitled to their own opinion. You prefer RCI, that's great...now you know for sure. For me, I always look at other lines, and RCI is consistently one of the most expensive. For me, the differences I read about are NOT worth the cost difference. In fact, some of the service you describe would downright annoy me. Pouring my ketchup? I can do it myself, thanks. Nothing wrong that you like that, just not for me. I hate it when I go to a store a salesperson keeps asking if I need help - I'll let you know if I need anything.

I consistently see complaints that Carnival's breakfast buffet is the same every day. True, but what does RCI offer that's different? Breakfast is breakfast...not too much variety, especially in a buffet environment. Just curious.

salmon, pancakes and waffles every day, lots more fruits and the like. Also you havent been on RCI so how do you even know what you are missing with the service. I think someone pouring ketchup for your kid so you dont have to is really good service.

salmon, pancakes and waffles every day, lots more fruits and the like. Also you havent been on RCI so how do you even know what you are missing with the service. I think someone pouring ketchup for your kid so you dont have to is really good service.

Just differences in opinions, that's all. I don't have kids, so I don't have to worry about that. Maybe if I did, I would feel differently. What I do know is that I get annoyed when people hover around me and try to do too much for me in the name of good service (not saying that's how it is, but that's how it sounds to me). That's just how I am - I'm almost too independent and always want to do everything myself. I don't know what I'm missing, but I'm quite happy with the service I receive on CCL. I do want to do RCI...I'm thinking Adventure of the Seas Southern Carib since I don't care for Carnival's southern itinerary (no sea days:( ).

Ok I told of my experience. It could be that they don't know if you do nothing they are automatically added on.;)

Thanx for the attempt. I agree, if its not automatic, then there really is no tip program at all. And since RCCL servers are not being massively stiffed. Some program is in place. But the RCCLites deny it will a religious zeal. Don't know why, I like auto tips and I like RCCL. I have fewer RCCL cruises than Carnival but nearly as many cruise days. But I sure like this board better than the others.

Thanx again, even tho we got nuttin.

Dan

Food is so subjective. I saw some mentioning no salmon for breakfast on Carnival. I couldnt touch that stuff that early in the morning. No salmon and locks (sp) for me I guess. I also passed it up during the day last cruise, but my sister had salmon for dinner and said it was great.

I generally find something to eat at all the meals. Last cruise on Voyager I have to admit the salad bar seemed much improved over the Rhapsody. Also the deli on 5th floor had other varieties of cookies. Im allergic to coconut and that seems to be the flavor of the day every day up in the buffet. I complained about no choices of cookies on the Rhapsody in the buffet in my review and the folks on RCL threads pretty much beat me up over it. I throw up/allergic to coconut, not just being fussy, cant eat them.

Dan, I agree, these boards are ever so much nicer than RCL's especially. They have no sense of humor. I posted a pic of a baby in the spa and no one laughed or thought it was a funny pic.

I've gotta agree, even though the Carnival boards have their problems, it a far friendlier group of people, I have dealt with both the NCL and RCI boards, and I feel that the way I have been treated by posters here is far more positive.

For the most part, Carnival cruisers will challenge people who talk trash about Carnival, on the RCI board they will pretty much call you a liar.

MAC

Archived