Can you buy liquor for your cabin?

Nicki61

Hi,

Can you pre-order a bottle of liquor for your cabin through Princess? We did this on HAL and had a bottle of Jim Beam sitting there for us when we arrived. But I can't find anything like this on Princess website.

Any one have any information?

Thank you. I couldn't find that information. It seems to be a bit pricey, for 375ml, that is just 120z! $19.50

I might just have to play the smuggle game. Oh well

It has not been too long since everything was raised in price and cut in size.

It started years ago with liters of liquor for about that same price, that could be ordered for your stateroom. It was nice to set up a bar for entertaining friends, we have done it many times on longer voyages.

Then it went to liters OR 375 ML including 3 mixers for a reasonable price. Then not long after, POOF, the liters were gone and so were the packages where you received a smaller bottle with mixers. Now it is just the 375 ML alone, for the same price that the mixer packages ran.

I guess all good things must come to an end. It could be worse, they could be forbidding any alcohol for in room consumption, not allowing wine to be carried on and searching our luggage for anything that resembled alcohol. :eek: Which I suspect will happen in the not so distant future. :(

Princess plays their games we play ours. It makes no since to me that Princess stopped selling liquor at retail prices for in cabin consumption. They made a profit and we were happy to contibulte to their bottom line. Now.... they know we are going to drink in our cabins, they know everyone hates their low quality little 375 ml bottles and their ridiculous price. They expect us to get out of the shower put on something run to a bar buy a drink run back to our cabin and get dressed or they hope you call room service and wait for it to be delivered. I never took liquor on board with me when I could buy my bottle of single malt on board but once Princess changes it's policy I changed mine and now I take my own and enjoy a relaxing drink on my balcony.

Princess plays their games we play ours. It makes no since to me that Princess stopped selling liquor at retail prices for in cabin consumption. They made a profit and we were happy to contibulte to their bottom line. Now.... they know we are going to drink in our cabins, they know everyone hates their low quality little 375 ml bottles and their ridiculous price. They expect us to get out of the shower put on something run to a bar buy a drink run back to our cabin and get dressed or they hope you call room service and wait for it to be delivered. I never took liquor on board with me when I could buy my bottle of single malt on board but once Princess changes it's policy I changed mine and now I take my own and enjoy a relaxing drink on my balcony.

Im with you.... CHEERS,

I just can't understand why they changed their policy in such a short time. It is crazy to expect us to pay $19.50 for a bottle that I can buy at home for $3.75. Even if Princess changes & checks for booze people will find a way. Seems like Princess would rather make a profit by selling to us in a more fair way.

Jan

It would certainly be interesting to know their reasoning for discontinuing the retail sales. I have not sailed on anyone other then Princess for a least 2 years now. I wonder what the other lines are doing regarding buying retail liquor on board. The main reason for all of the changes has been to increase bottom line which I can understand but I can't imagine how this policy would increase profit, it would appear to do just the opposite as more people sneak on what they want to drink and thus purchase even less. Those little 350 bottles do nothing but irritate guest due to the cost and quality.

It would certainly be interesting to know their reasoning for discontinuing the retail sales. I have not sailed on anyone other then Princess for a least 2 years now. I wonder what the other lines are doing regarding buying retail liquor on board. The main reason for all of the changes has been to increase bottom line which I can understand but I can't imagine how this policy would increase profit, it would appear to do just the opposite as more people sneak on what they want to drink and thus purchase even less. Those little 350 bottles do nothing but irritate guest due to the cost and quality.

I know on RCI, you used to be able to go to the duty free ship, pay a small extra fee per bottle, and take your purchase back to your stateroom for consumption onboard. And they have totally stopped that practice now. In fact, I don't think RCI allows any onboard purchases of liquor for in room consumption. Might have to go look that up and see what the policy is now as it has been a few years since we sailed RCI, but I have read they discontinued allowing passengers to do this.

Edited: I can not find one thing about purchasing alcohol for consumption onboard on the RCI site, so my guess is what I read is correct. BUT, the following section is direct from RCI and sounds even more strict than that on Princess.

"Guests are not allowed to bring alcoholic beverages onboard for consumption or any other use. Alcoholic beverages that are purchased in ports of call or from onboard shops will be stored by the ship and delivered to guest staterooms on the last day of the sailing. Security may inspect containers (water bottles, soda bottles, mouthwash, luggage etc.) and will dispose of containers holding alcohol. Royal Caribbean's Guest Conduct Policy may be enforced, up to and including disembarkation, if a guest violates any alcohol policy. Guests under the age of 21 will not have alcohol returned to them.

con_bulletgray_ico.gifGuests who violate any alcohol policies, (over consume, provide alcohol to people under age 21, demonstrate irresponsible behavior, or attempt to conceal alcoholic items at security and or luggage check points or any other time), may be disembarked or not allowed to board, at their own expense, in accordance with our Guest Conduct Policy."

OMG! WOW! Now that is really strict. Remind me to stay cruising with Princess or go back to the all inclusive land vacations!

edit: Maybe they are covering themselves in order to target those that get out of line or underage. I've not seen that on Princess after 6 cruises - have I been lucky?

The last time we sailed RCL was about 5 years ago and I think you are correct about buying a bottle in the duty free store and paying a small up charge to take it back to your cabin. I have friends who are as loyal to RCL as I am to Princess and they claim they have the same issues with liquor that Princess has. They take their own and have never had any problems.

I would assume all the lines are about the same and are not going to make a big deal out of people bringing on a bottle for in cabin use. Most of us here and also on the RCL boards are frequent travels on our favorite line and I don't think they are going to jeopardize that business for bringing a bottle on board. I would just like to know why they changed the rules in the first place, when it would appear they made a profit and we were happy. Kind of like the old saying if it an't broke don't fix it. Maybe it was for legal reasons and it was not only about profit.:rolleyes:

Ho

Long time buddy...........We had an ice storm in December and my computer including my email addresses were fried.........if you see this and still have my email fire me a note..........

We are headed to Princess next year............:)

Jim

Got Ho..........thanks for sending it...........I will respond in length sometime today so look for the return email sometime this afternoon.:)

Just a couple of months ago, we cruised on another line which provides stateroom booze at about twice the cost in a duty free shop. I was delighted because we were cruising with in-laws and could entertain them in our spacious cabin. I thought the mark-up was reasonable for a monopoly situation and we had gotten a wonderful price on the cabin.

When I started my search for our next cruise, I found an attractive one, but that line charges approximately three times the duty free price (as I believe Princess does), which means I have to be that much more demanding on the cabin price. I also found a line that charges approximately four times the duty free price, which means there's not much point in my taking the time to explore the details behind the banner price in their advertisements.

I was initially very impressed that cruise line management was imaginative enough to compromise with their price sensitive customers by giving them the stateroom booze option, but, of course, prohibitive prices just take it away again. Maybe an economic slowdown will make them try to be competitive in the details as well instead of just in the banner prices.

• 2 months later...

I did check out the Princess website for gifts delivered to the room and I have to agree that the prices for the 375ml bottles are outrageous, plus the selection was very limited.

On HAL we ordered a bottle of liqour (specifically Canadian Club for which the gift list has no adequate substitution) after we were on the ship from the cabin steward (we were in a suite). Since this is our first Princess cruise, can anyone tell me if this can be done and if they have a different choice?

Additionally, we are in a mini-suite. Is it true that the refrigerators in them are empty?

Diane

I did check out the Princess website for gifts delivered to the room and I have to agree that the prices for the 375ml bottles are outrageous, plus the selection was very limited.

On HAL we ordered a bottle of liqour (specifically Canadian Club for which the gift list has no adequate substitution) after we were on the ship from the cabin steward (we were in a suite). Since this is our first Princess cruise, can anyone tell me if this can be done and if they have a different choice?

Additionally, we are in a mini-suite. Is it true that the refrigerators in them are empty?

Diane

Yes, the frig will be empty, except for the ice bucket, when you arrive.

Check your 'cruise answer book' when it arrives with your luggage tags. Although still the 375 ML bottles, we found a larger list of brands there than what is listed on the Princess website for pre-orders.

I know Princess policy prohibits carrying alcohol on board. There policy is that they will hold it for you and deliver it to your cabin the last night.

Has anyone ever heard of Princess actually doing this?

I know Princess policy prohibits carrying alcohol on board. There policy is that they will hold it for you and deliver it to your cabin the last night.

Has anyone ever heard of Princess actually doing this?

Yep! Unless you get very creative. If you just try to carry it on in your possession, if they find it, they will confiscated it as it is against their liquor rules.

Thanks Toto. We have been on 12 Princess cruises and have never had a problem. Usually, we by it before boarding and just wrap it up in our carryon.

I wouldn't recommend putting the liquor in your carry on, as it will be examined by x-ray as well as the screeners before you board. Carrying on your own booze is against Princes regulations and they may decide to confiscate it and keep it until you leave the ship at the end of your voyage.

In some cases, particularly in first boarding ports, you will be at the mercy of civilian security people in these various ports, whom IMO are a step below TSA screeners, before you even reach the ships security people. :eek:

I bubble wrap and place my liquor in a zip top bag and place them in my checked luggage. Why take a chance on the whims, of a security screener, especially at the start of your cruise? ;)

As for the answer for the question asked, (Can you buy liquor for your cabin?)

Yes, you can purchase liquor, beer and wine from the ship's room service. Your choice of brands is somewhat limited and they are small bottles. (Hard Liquor) The cost for these small bottles of hard liquor (Whiskey, Rum, Vodka) are very high IMO. My brand of whiskey a (Kentucky Bourbon) Woodford Reserve isn't carried in room service or the ship's bars. So, I carry on my own.

To all fellow cruisers & booze smugglers:

There is a great website: www.rumrunnerflasks.com from which DH & I have purchased our "get-it-on-board" booze flasks for the last several cruises. These flasks are made entirely of plastic and do not show up on x-ray machines. The come in varying sizes and we have never had one leak. They weigh much less than bottles and conform to shape within your luggage. They are also very inexpensive and their shipping is awesome - we had ours 2 days after ordering!

We try to buy our liquor (when possible) in our port of embarkation and load it into the flasks, then slip them into our luggage before boarding the ship. Since we usually arrive in port a day before we actually sail, this doesn't present much of a problem and saves worry/weight on the airlines.

Just passing this along for those who are interested. We absolutely love to sail on Princess, but find their liquor prices a bit over the top! We tip out cabin steward a little extra to keep the ice bucket full, and we have never had a problem!!

Smooth Sailing to everyone and hope you find the above website useful!

:D

uvs2travl:

Quote:

"We try to buy our liquor (when possible) in our port of embarkation and load it into the flasks"

I have one concern on your advice above.

Buying liquor in Washington State (Seattle) wouldn't be a good idea, as the liquor is only sold in State controlled stores and is pretty expensive compared to most other States like California and/or your own State.

Oregon also has State controlled liquor sales; however, has better prices than Washington State. (Don't recall any Princess cruises leaving from Oregon.)

Archived