Up the Yangtze

Tennessee Traveler

We saw the documentary, Up the Yangtze, last night. It was a wonderful film about the cruise on the Yangzte focusing on the young Chinese who serve on the ships and the new Three Gorges Dam. It should be suggested to all past passengers who have sailed on the Yangtze and for those who are planning to go. Don't miss this Canadian documentary. TT

Where did you see this?

Also we found and watched a PBS or History channel on the building of the Great Wall. We check out a DVD from our public library. It really added a lot to our understanding of both the building or the wall and the Chinese Cultura.

Emily

We saw it a couple of months ago. One of the cinematographers who shot the film was on-hand and answered questions about the film from the audience. He mentioned the film web-site: http://www.nfb.ca/webextension/up-the-yangtze/ .

The girl and her family is getting some help from donations made through the site. She is attending a post-secondary school now.

The film gives us some interesting insights to the new China. Fascinating stuff.

I'm so glad you've responded to this thread. I'm glad to hear that Cindy's life is improving due to the movie. I found the dichotomy between Cindy's life & her parents in the evolving China to be so great in scope. It was a very thought-provoking movie having experienced the Yangtze cruise on Viking a few years ago. We had fabulous servers, Eddie & Olivia, who I shall never forget. But now I know much more about their experiences, too. TT

Archived