CRUISE REWARDS NCL leaves the others behind

We just finished a lovely voyage on the Norwegian Jade. The crew were so chipper and friendly. Our suite was immaculate and the lovely stateroom stewards were so kind. They remembered our names and always ensured our suite was ready to go.

We've sailed NCL, Carnival, Royal, P&O, Costa and are absolutly bedazzled with NCL's services. They have a new programme titled Cruise Rewards. It is the newest way to reserve your next passage with NCL. Jennifer Pershouse is the future cruising managerial onboard the Jade and she is top notch! We loved her friendly service and knowledge.

Cruise Rewards is a voucher sort of programme that you place 250 US Dollar or 125 Sterling and this reserves your next voyage with NCL. But they give you 100 US Dollars straight away to spend onboard. So you really are only spending 150 US Dollar to reserve your next passage. The deposit is good for the entire stateroom no matter how many guests are traveling. So there is no need to place heaps of money down for vacation anylonger. Then we return home and have 12 months to make a reservation and 2.5 years to actually sail. We have purchased some to give to family so they can travel with us next time.

I absolutly love this programme. They sell it in different exchanges and it's very simple. Finally, NCL has made it easy to come back without having to put so much money down. We've done this now on the Gem, Star and now the Jade. Our next voyage will be on the Jewel when she arrives.

The Jade is such a lovely ship. I hear it was the old Hawaii that was all Yanky crew and it didn't do so well. That's why they brought her over here. We absolutely love it and the new way to book.

Thank you NCL for giving us the Norwegian Jade and to Jennifer Pershouse and the new Cruise Rewards.

Happy day,

British Cruiser 15

We just finished a lovely voyage on the Norwegian Jade. The crew were so chipper and friendly. Our suite was immaculate and the lovely stateroom stewards were so kind. They remembered our names and always ensured our suite was ready to go.

We've sailed NCL, Carnival, Royal, P&O, Costa and are absolutly bedazzled with NCL's services. They have a new programme titled Cruise Rewards. It is the newest way to reserve your next passage with NCL. Jennifer Pershouse is the future cruising managerial onboard the Jade and she is top notch! We loved her friendly service and knowledge.

Cruise Rewards is a voucher sort of programme that you place 250 US Dollar or 125 Sterling and this reserves your next voyage with NCL. But they give you 100 US Dollars straight away to spend onboard. So you really are only spending 150 US Dollar to reserve your next passage. The deposit is good for the entire stateroom no matter how many guests are traveling. So there is no need to place heaps of money down for vacation anylonger. Then we return home and have 12 months to make a reservation and 2.5 years to actually sail. We have purchased some to give to family so they can travel with us next time.

I absolutly love this programme. They sell it in different exchanges and it's very simple. Finally, NCL has made it easy to come back without having to put so much money down. We've done this now on the Gem, Star and now the Jade. Our next voyage will be on the Jewel when she arrives.

The Jade is such a lovely ship. I hear it was the old Hawaii that was all Yanky crew and it didn't do so well. That's why they brought her over here. We absolutely love it and the new way to book.

Thank you NCL for giving us the Norwegian Jade and to Jennifer Pershouse and the new Cruise Rewards.

Happy day,

British Cruiser 15

How does this leave the others behind?

Bill

Sounds like she means leaves other lines behind in that no one else offers such a great program.

That's what I thought but with Princess you can do this for just $100 and it covers your deposit for the first 2 pax in the cabin and they give you an onboard credit also based on the cabin you book.

You can hardly say that NCL's program blows away the rest.:)

Bill

And Princess' is good for four years and refundable at any time (automatically refunded if not used within four years).

And $150 cheaper.

One reason we quit sailing Princess was because they would never refund our money.

Thank you Got2cruise. I was just expressing my feelings toward NCL's new program. With Princess it's 100 US dollars per person. With NCL it's 250 US dollars no matter how many people in the cabin. If you have 4 people...it's still $250. Plus they give you $100 back immediately to spend on that voyage. Not a future credit. It's instant. So, with Princess if you have 4 people, then you spend 400 US dollars. And you wouldn't get your credit until you sail again. So...kind of a no brainer to me. But again, just my opinon. Don't mean to offend anyone.

I did call NCL and found out that they would actually extend your voucher if you don't use it within the year time frame. They are actually very generous with it. THey just want us to come back. And as far as being refundable...why refund when I can give it to friends and family with no fees! No one else does that. I can buy them for anyone as a great gift idea. My initial thought that it leaves the others behind is because no one gives you instant onboard credit to use on the cruise you are on. And no one has a low deposit of really 150 US dollars for anyone in the cabin. And also they are the only ones to my knowledge that sell it in Sterling, Canadian, Euro and US dollar. They truly are trying to make it easier for us to return.

Not to mention the ships are nice and they have some great new itineraries. But never the less I'm glad to have joined this site to see and hear all of your great experiences. Thank you kindly.

Since I am trying to stick with one cruise line to build up standing in the loyalty program, I'm most likely going to be cruising ncl anyway for Latitudes (I will be platinum one day, in 50 years maybe lol)... but I think this is a lovely program as well, britishcruiser, because I'm getting a little bonus on something I'd be doing anyway.

Welcome to the boards, I found (and still find) it to be very useful to get some great answers, advice, perspective, etc. The majority of posters are quite encouraging and welcoming to new cruisers like us. Keep coming!

Thank you Got2cruise. I was just expressing my feelings toward NCL's new program. With Princess it's 100 US dollars per person. With NCL it's 250 US dollars no matter how many people in the cabin. If you have 4 people...it's still $250. Plus they give you $100 back immediately to spend on that voyage. Not a future credit. It's instant. So, with Princess if you have 4 people, then you spend 400 US dollars. And you wouldn't get your credit until you sail again. So...kind of a no brainer to me. But again, just my opinon. Don't mean to offend anyone.

I did call NCL and found out that they would actually extend your voucher if you don't use it within the year time frame. They are actually very generous with it. THey just want us to come back. And as far as being refundable...why refund when I can give it to friends and family with no fees! No one else does that. I can buy them for anyone as a great gift idea. My initial thought that it leaves the others behind is because no one gives you instant onboard credit to use on the cruise you are on. And no one has a low deposit of really 150 US dollars for anyone in the cabin. And also they are the only ones to my knowledge that sell it in Sterling, Canadian, Euro and US dollar. They truly are trying to make it easier for us to return.

Not to mention the ships are nice and they have some great new itineraries. But never the less I'm glad to have joined this site to see and hear all of your great experiences. Thank you kindly.

Glad to hear you like the program. I think it is a great deal. I think we will pick one up when we go to Bermuda on the Dream on June 1. Maybe since you heard about this recently you could refresh my memory. I know that on certificate can reserve a cabin but is the one certificate all you need to reserve for a 10 day cruise. We would probably get either an ocean view or a balcony.

You are very welcome! :) I hope this doesn't turn you off to Cruise Critics. In general, most people love to discuss their upcoming and past cruises, and are respectful of each others' opinions. I wish I would have purchased the voucher on my last cruise. It is a very good deal. Obviously, it is marketed to cruisers who would love to be repeat cruisers on NCL. You say to yourself, "I know I am going to book another cruise, so I might as well take $100 dollars off the cruise I am on now." Which is unique to any of the other similiar programs. But let's face it, if you don't plan on cruising a particular line, the voucher has no value, whatsoever.:D You seem very excited to take another NCL cruise, most of us who post on the NCL board feel the same way.

Glad to hear you like the program. I think it is a great deal. I think we will pick one up when we go to Bermuda on the Dream on June 1. Maybe since you heard about this recently you could refresh my memory. I know that on certificate can reserve a cabin but is the one certificate all you need to reserve for a 10 day cruise. We would probably get either an ocean view or a balcony.

Yes, one certificate per cabin including OV and balcony's.

Used one to reserve 2 people in a balcony for a 13 day cruise.

One correction, though. The transfer fee is $50, if you want to transfer it to another person. Not bad, really. You can give someone a voucher for a full deposit, for $50. Your out of pocket costs would be $200 if you transfered it. Considering the deposit is $250 pp for 6-9 days and $400 pp for 10 or more days, it's still a bargain

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I'm sure many will disagree, BUT, I'm stating what I think: I was just off the Gem this Sunday and had purchased $500 in cruise rewards to be used towards my next cruise. I spoke with "Duncan", the cruise director who said this offer can be used with any agency, not just NCL and it would be combined with any specials, etc. Not the case I found out; every travel agency I have called quoted me a price, but the minute I mentioned that I had the $500 cruise rewards with NCL, they all said the quote then had to change and of course for more money.

I knew there was a gimmick when I bought it, but I coulnd't quite put my finger on it, until, of course, now. Anyhow, I did book another cruise but regret buying into the cruise rewards because I would have gotten a better price without it. (yes, I'm including the $200 off that they give you when you buy them). So, buyer be aware!

I just booked a cruise today via a travel agent and used my Cruise Rewards. She quoted me a price before I mentioned that I had a reward certificate and that price remained the same. The Cruise Rewards was only used as my deposit and they subtracted it from my total. I owe the balance of the original quote minus my Cruise Rewards amount. It didn't affect my pricing at all.

Ok, I'm sure many will disagree, BUT, I'm stating what I think: I was just off the Gem this Sunday and had purchased $500 in cruise rewards to be used towards my next cruise. I spoke with "Duncan", the cruise director who said this offer can be used with any agency, not just NCL and it would be combined with any specials, etc. Not the case I found out; every travel agency I have called quoted me a price, but the minute I mentioned that I had the $500 cruise rewards with NCL, they all said the quote then had to change and of course for more money.

I knew there was a gimmick when I bought it, but I coulnd't quite put my finger on it, until, of course, now. Anyhow, I did book another cruise but regret buying into the cruise rewards because I would have gotten a better price without it. (yes, I'm including the $200 off that they give you when you buy them). So, buyer be aware!

Perhaps the agent didn't understand what this is all about? All it should do is hold the cabin without giving them the per person deposit. It definately should NOT affect the price of the cruise. It is my opinion that the travel agency made this rule about changing the price...you may want to look for another agency. There are many out there that are reputable.

Good luck.

every travel agency I have called quoted me a price, but the minute I mentioned that I had the $500 cruise rewards with NCL, they all said the quote then had to change and of course for more money.

When I purchased the "Cruise Reward" I was told that the $250.00 could be used wherever I purchased the next cruise tickets....through the net, from NCL or from a travel agent.

I hope you aren't saying that the price of a ticket goes up due to the "Reward....." If so, what have I done......:eek:

Anyway, I just got back from a cruise on the Jewel and did purchase the "Cruise Reward" and got the $100.00 credit on my final bill. That was a good thing....:p However, now I'm somewhat concerned...Well, a bit...:confused:

every travel agency I have called quoted me a price, but the minute I mentioned that I had the $500 cruise rewards with NCL, they all said the quote then had to change and of course for more money.

Anyway, I just got back from a cruise on the Jewel and did purchase the "Cruise Reward" and got the $100.00 credit on my final bill. That was a good thing....:p However, now I'm somewhat concerned...Well, a bit...:confused:

No need to be concerned! You were given the correct information.

Sounds like the person you quoted needs to find a new Travel Agent, or needs to better explain to them what She bought. :confused:

The reward certificate is merely a DEPOSIT on your next cruise. It has nothing to do with the original cost of the cruise. Travel agents here all knew exactly what it was when I inquired!

ENJOY YOUR CRUISE!

I know that on certificate can reserve a cabin but is the one certificate all you need to reserve for a 10 day cruise. We would probably get either an ocean view or a balcony.

We are using our one certificate to hold our 19 day cruise in a Romance Suite.

(I couldn't help it, I just love saying 19 day cruise and Romance Suite.) :rolleyes:

You were trying to book more then one cabin right? I'm trying to figure out why the TA's are doing this. You are only allowed one cruise reward certificate per cabin reserved, so if you are trying to use 2 of them, for one cabin reserved, that could be the answer.

I don't know when your cruise is but if you have not passed final payment, my advice would be to cancel immediately and start over. Someone is putting it to you and it's the TA. You should not be paying a higher price for using that certificate.

What a lovely post. We will be on the London-Barcelona passage this August...so now you know why I'm thrilled to read your review.

We are also big fans of the Cruise Rewards program...the immediate $100 OBC coupled with being able to hold your cabin for $250 until final booking has been the hook for us the past two years. DH feels that he rather have the normal deposit (minimum of $800) in his pocket until the time final payment is due.

Thanks again - just one question. Might you elaborate a bit more on your cruise - perhaps under a separate post? I'd love to hear all about the ports you visited, shore excursions etc.

Thanks in advance.

Archived